1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide

Discussion in 'Mk1 Leon FAQ's (1M) 2000-2006' started by andy_tech, Oct 20, 2004.

1. gorski

gorski Active Member

Hi it's my first post so i would like to say hallo :)
    two days ago i have found a water on gum rug from the driver side, i have checked under it and everything was wet, few days back we had a lot of snowfalls. i did a picture and this is how the seal is looks like :
    image link : httx://imgie.pl/images/2017/12/02/woda3f131.jpg (im now allowed to put any links so please just replace httx to http)
    i have no place and time to experiment form where the water comes from so i would like to know if anyone could give me the answer if this picture confirms it comes from the door panel - in other words typical issue with leaking doors :)?
    sry for bad ENG :)
    my car leon 1p

#1741 gorski, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. verbal_kint

verbal_kint Active Member

Almost certainly yes

3. patmore

patmore Active Member

fixed mine - water in foot wells.

Well, I looked at all the suggestions and as I had checked door seals - all fine - and had checked sunroof - water ran out one side but not the passengers. I had poked a length of electrical cable down and poured water in the sunroof gully. i saw that the water ran out under the car and thought it was ok. After checking air filter housing and doors, I went back to the sunroof as I saw that someone said about getting the tube back onto the grommet inside the door openings. I went back to the sun panel and now realised that the water was actually flowing out of the underside of the car and not out of the grommets in the inside of the door openings. I had inadvertently cleared a blockage in the passengers side and now had wet carpets in both front sides. i pulled the grommets out of the door openings as i realised that the water was not coming out of them at all.
    I removed the grommets and threaded the electrical cable down the sun roof holes, and managed to get some small pliers in to catch hold of the electrical cable and pull through the grommet openings (difficult as only small space to work in). I then threaded the electrical cables through the grommet and carefully pulled them back into place so that the inner tube pulled onto the grommet. I made sure the grommet was back in and checked by putting water down the sun roof gully. It worked like magic and water came out of the grommets instead of pouring into the car behind the carpet and into the foot wells. So it was the sun roof tubes not being attached to the grommet inside the car. Then I had to get the carpets lifted enough to shove towels and newspapers in to dry out under the carpets. They were full of water so i used a broom to prop the carpets up and left the doors open to dry out during the day and closed the doors at night. Kept replacing the newspaper and towels and after about 4 days was all nicely dry.
    i have had dry carpets ever since.

4. verbal_kint

verbal_kint Active Member

Just realised, don't think I've ever seen one of our cars with a sun roof!

5. Muttley

Muttley Catch that diesel!

Son bought himself an 03 LCR. When he went to view it "It had just been valeted, so the carpets were wet". You can see where this is going.
    Sure enough, it's been raining a lot recently, and evidence of water pooling in the footwells is found. So, "do you still have that door seal stuff, Dad?" Yep. "Can you help me do it". Oh, all right then.

This is where it gets interesting. On getting down to the sealed joint, I can see it's not the old closed-cell foam, but something different, grey and sticky. I can also see it's badly applied, hanging in a loop from the bottom of the door card and not sealing there at all.

Undo all the bolts except the top three, which you just loosen, then pull the door card away. What I find is material that looks similar to the butyl cord, but thinner and less sticky (but still flexible, non-setting). The door card itself is also different, has a narrower channel in which the seal should fit.

Looks like the driver's door was sealed by the apprentice on a Friday afternoon, and the seal was faulty from new. There was evidence of silicone sealer around the leak - this never works for long. I pulled off the original seal up to just below the top of the panel, and applied butyl tape in a single run. Has worked ok, but we will not know for sure for a few weeks yet.

What I found interesting is that the door itself had been redesigned, for sealing with a production-line version of the butyl tape, probably applied from a pressure gun. Given the number of Mk.IV Golf-derived doors out there, I guess it made sense to VAG. But I'm surprised that the assembly fault on this particular car was not discovered and fixed under warranty - unless it was them that applied the mastic.

6. Suz

Suz Active Member

Still wet!!!

Okay so I've had what I would call puddles now in my rear footwells and now the drivers footwell too. I followed the guide to repair the inner door seals and that was successful but hasn't stopped the water getting in.
    I can't see any signs of where the water may be coming from. Is there any way it could be coming from underneath? I thought I'd ask before I remove everything and take up the carpet to check.
    I think I'm going to re do the seal that goes all around the door frame as well just in case.
    Has anyone else had the same? I'm stumped because there really is no sign of how the water is getting in!

7. redballs

redballs Active Member

this might help Anyone who has puddles in their footwells, VAG
    i have a 2005 Leon Fr150 Diesel. about 2 months ago i changed the front door speakers for pioneer components. see where this is going...!!!
    my dad went to put in some screen wash in for me. looking for the bonnet pull, he realized i had a 'water feature'!! front and rear drivers side floormats were soaked to the touch. oh dear! time to rip out the whole interior!
    i put the problem down to a a small tear in the rubber along the driver sill. it was replaced, and it done nothing! the leaks persisted, and i had to sponge out a minimum of a litre of water per day. i live in ireland, and its Nov/Dec, so weather is very crap!
    i started looking on the net for VAG footwells full of water and i was Very surprised! lots of people experiencing similar problems.
    i read a lot of posts, and watched a lot of vids. i found a post from a guy with a Passat. the rear door speakers were replaced under warranty, and his car began taking on water in both rear footwells. the rear door skin seals had failed, and this was the the cause of his leak. he stated they had been replaced by an apprentice, and he failed to notice the issue he was creating, same as myself with my front speakers
    So, my problem... in changing my front door speakers, i had to remove the old ones. as we know, they are riveted in place. i opted to drill off the rivets with an 8mm bit. in pressing against, and causing vibration in that lower corner of the door skin, i inadvertently destroyed the seal, and failed to realize. the car is nearly 15 years old, and also its components. had i not touched the speakers all would be fine, but alas, here i am, with with what i hope to be an answer for some peoples problem.
    i have just finished gutter sealing both front doors, and the weather is terrible for the next few days!
    anyone with soaked floors, please remove you door panels, and press against the bottom corners of the skin to see if it leaks or if its moist.
    if you have aftermarket speakers installed, or if an alarm installer had the door card off, or a window tinter, anything like that. this might help
    thanks to everyone who posted. had it not been for all you good people, i would be lost. my car would be at a dealer and i would be charged a fortune because they are brain dead idiots!
    the good news... this fix cost me 10euro for the sealant! and also, while i have the entire interior removed, i can wire the car for some proper sound!!

8. Don king

a little bump in this thread, Im not able to see the pictures embedded in the first post. is it by any change someone who still gots them and can upload them again?