Water leak. NOT door card

Nov 19, 2019
Eastbourne
Hi. My mk1 cupra r has the normal leak. I did all the normal stuff as I'm a body and paint guy, removed door inner frame which had new type seals and redid them with butyl and later redid in gaps with silicon. Took the pollen filter out made it worse refitted and back to original... Still leaks and it seems to be body to door seal on nsf is a bit squashedrom where water sits. Someone said they cut one and slid in some tube, something like washer jet tubing. Has anyone had any luck with that. New seals are expensive as are heritage. No point getting 2nd hand as mine a 2006 car on 55 plate.

andycupra

status subject to change
redid the door card seals with butyl and then had to fill in gaps with silicon? sorry but this doesn't fill me with confidence that you have done a good enough job.

and when you say you took the pollen filter out and it made it worse... what do you mean? you took it out and left it out?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mmm
Removing pollen filter won’t achieve anything.
Sometimes the housing isn’t closed properly and this. An produce a leak.
Main problem area there is, “around” the pollen filter housing.
It clogs up with crud from wipers etc.
This blocks drainage holes that normally drain through to the arches.
Happens on both sides.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Mmm
Removing pollen filter won’t achieve anything.
Sometimes the housing isn’t closed properly and this. An produce a leak.
Main problem area there is, “around” the pollen filter housing.
It clogs up with crud from wipers etc.
This blocks drainage holes that normally drain through to the arches.
Happens on both sides.

Are they tubes or chanels to the arches?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Are they tubes or chanels to the arches?

Good question.
Once I’d had my hands back there scooping out all the detritus I poured water in there to clear out last bits and it all just drained away.
May just be holes tbh.
232b77dd2b9190409f7b097a5bdc54df.jpg
89c5ac50a518b30b94fcc047f0819c88.jpg

It was main problem area on both my Cupras.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I had heavy condensation, wet footwells and a wet boot.

My rear washer jet was disconnected, and was leaking into the boot and onwards.

I put it all back together and noticed the same places still soaked.

Turns out the rear washer being undone had leaked into behind the passenger side rear light, there was a 2" deep puddle there swashing around setting water off along the boot and into the footwells

Car is all dry now and no condensation. Unlikely to be this simple but thought i'd share an easy and not so obvious experience. I can upload a picture of the location if you're interested but its easy to get to.

tonycane

Feb 17, 2009
wolverhampton/solihull
recently had this too, resealed the pollen filter housing but turned out to be the rear washer pipe came appart under the glove box, was wrapped with the rest of the loom so was difficult to find

B1gM477

Feb 19, 2020
Hi folks,

Ive had this water ingress issue 3 times now over the last 5 years......

I'd really like to get it ironed out too....
Ive noticed that it definitely is coming in through the passenger front door, as when you open it, you can see its wet from front of sill to back.

I'm guessing its that foam seal between the door plates ?
Anyone got a guide to fix or know where to point me for one?

My Leon is in the local garage as we speak being looked at for the blessed leak....
This time Ive asked them to lift the carpet and inspect the floor panel... I want to make sure it hasn't rusted..

I also have a whole black leather interior which they are gonna start refitting for me, the 2 passenger side door cards will go on today after they looked for the leak.. I can add the rear seats myself as its not hard....
However and this is possibly unrelated slightly, the set has electric front seats which I will need to make work, so ive asked them if they can look under the carpet for the required cabling/plugs(which the local Seat dealership said "are in all the cars from the range, as they wouldn't make a different loom for different cars") ((I have a nasty suspicion they are wrong but heyho))
I really wanna beat the leak before I put more electrical garb in the possible way of water...

If anyone is interested, I did take a video of the water on the door sill, might help folks out.!?

anyway, thanks for reading peeps :cheers: look forward to chatting with you.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thought mine was same but ended up being door and pollen filter area.
If waters in front passenger
25996195022251f955f926180db776e8.jpg
foot well then check around pollen filter housing.
This area builds up with debris from windscreen etc this then blocks drainage to top of wheel arches.
Get your hand or a hanger in there and scrape all the muck out then flush with water. It will drain away.

B1gM477

Feb 19, 2020
Well I've just been to collect it from local garage, they say they sorted leak... So that's a plus for the day... Sadly, the new door cards don't fit so I'm back to square one with the interior.. never mind... No doubt there's a thread on here some where!?

B1gM477

Feb 19, 2020
Leaks come back uuuurgh... Think I'll try that walkthrough myself.. however I have told the garage and they said they get me back in..

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
They may have just bodged it (siliconed it on the outside) although some say it works. The electrical seats are easy if you don't have the harness (likely). You need a positive which can be wired to the terminals under the steering wheel area, add an in-line fuse. Plenty of earth points too.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members