Water leak passenger footwells

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Hi everyone. Before I get flamed, I have done a forum search. ;)

My Ibiza has a water leak on the passenger side, rear footwell is completely soaking and the front one is just damp.

It's not the rear washer problem, the washer is working perfectly and the water coming in is definitely rain water and not screenwash.

I've also poured buckets of water down the side of the car, in and around the passenger door, but no water seems to come in.

I've got a feeling water is entering from the front and then running to the rear footwell as it is the lowest point in the car.

I thought I'd fixed it 2 or 3 weeks ago, I cleared a load of leaves from around a bung/plug in the scuttle panel on the passenger side. Obviously though this was not causing the problem.

Driver's side footwells are bone dry.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Reactions: Dee severn

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
theres a bung under the carpet around there, when mine fell out it was proper soaked!

check it there really lol. fixed mine with some rubber and some sealant from work

now its bone dry again!

L14M_T

THE JOYS OF A 1200cc
Jan 14, 2009
RCT, South Wales
i had the exact same problem only in the rear footwell and it only comes in when it snows or if i park my car on a slope with the passenger side highest. so i think its coming in through my door seal or the drain holes in the door need a clean out. because it aint done it for ages ive not come around to it yet.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Thanks guys. I'll check the seals again, I've already tried pouring water around the door but I couldn't see any water coming into the car.

It's not the bung in the back earlier, there is a bung present.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought that this was normally, on Fabia, Polo 9N and Ibiza 6L, due to the seal on the door to regulator panel leaking, this leaks to water getting into the door, running down the regulator plate and passing out and into the door as it enters "after" the door rubber seal.

will1984

could it be the rubber gromit in the top right of the engine bay? mine was leaking slightly from there.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
I thought that this was normally, on Fabia, Polo 9N and Ibiza 6L, due to the seal on the door to regulator panel leaking, this leaks to water getting into the door, running down the regulator plate and passing out and into the door as it enters "after" the door rubber seal.
Ahh, so basically to test for this, I need to pour water over the area where the bottom of the door window meets the door, and check for water ingress?

As it stands, I've only poured water around the very top of the door, testing the actual door seal, which appears fine.
could it be the rubber gromit in the top right of the engine bay? mine was leaking slightly from there.
Top right of the engine bay as you look at it from the front of the car? Yep, I re-sealed that, hasn't fixed the problem. I suspect I may have actually had 2 leaks in the first place. :cry:
PRC Mazzer?
Say wha? :shrug:

Reactions: sMh

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
iv the exact same problem on my mk4. i thought the window regulator leaking problem was on the leons not ibiza but i not sure, iv carpet lifted and pored water over car but no sign of the water....
I never really found the root cause of this, though I'm guessing the problem was one of the following:

- the bung under the scuttle panel
- something wasn't fitted properly and after having the car in bits 2/3 times I put it back together more water tight than originally!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
First you remove the wipers. Then the hard bit. All you can do is try to pull the panel away from the windscreen. I.e. if you're stood at the front of the car, try to pull the panel directly upwards.

It's a lot easier said than done!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.