Water pump leak, car now doesn't start 1.6 tdi

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Hi, recently I had to remove the belly pan from my car to check for damage since the car bottomed out, scraping the wheels on the arches and cracking the belly pan, on a deep part of the road (don't know how to explain better).

I noticed a brownish leak on the oil pan (thinking it was an oil leak) coming from behind the crankshaft pulley, so I decided to remove everything to get access to the crankshaft.

I started removing the fuel pipes and the coolant return pipe to remove the upper timing belt cover. Then I procceded to remove the aux belt, then the crankshaft pulley.

I then saw all this black gunk that I thought it was oil but it wasn't, it was not greasy and it smelled rusty, I then figured it was coolant that got burnt from the heat, I looked up and saw the water pump leaking from that little hole. From my research it is quite common on the 1.6 tdi's.

After cleaning the best I could with some paper towel, I reinstalled everything, when I was tightening the pulley bolts the crankshaft was rotating at the same time, I wasn't sure if I should lock it with something but since the torque setting is quite low for this bolts I just stopped tightening when the crank turned.

After reinstalling everything I plugged the battery on, then I went to start the car, it worked for like 1 or 2 seconds then stalled. I tried a 2nd time but it just turns.

My only thought was it could be air trapped inside the fuel pipes since when i removed them it leaked a bit of fuel, so I grabbed my vcds and did the Transfer fuel pump test, then I did the aux fuel pump but it didn't work, it gave this error "Test Aborted - Safety reasons | ERROR" never seen it before. When i changed the fuel filter it was working. Also scanned for errors and nothing showed up.

I searched on the internet and some people said it could be the key so I tried my spare key, first time almost worked, second time just cranks and the engine rocks alot.

I don't know what to do more. I'm very afraid that I damaged the HPFP.

Can someone enlight me ?

This are the pipes that i removed.

Last edited: