Water pump or head gasket broke?

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
Pressure Test

Hi All,

Does anyone know what a resonable price for a pressue test is on the coolant system that also checks for engine combustion pressure. I've been quoted 40+VAT by a local VW indy who is on the goodgarage scheme. Is this a resonable price for an hours worth of checks tests?

Thanks

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
Head Gasket

sounds about right. takes about 10 mins.... what probs you got then mate ??

Been told by two local non VW garages that my tolly's (TDI) HG is gone. I'm getting no heat even when the engine is at 90 degrees. I've got pressue in the coolant expansion tank and I've had this for a while. However, I've not really had any visible oil or water leaks (water does go down a little in the expansion tank after a few weeks so I normally top up)
I have to say that the fluid in the coolant expansion tank is dirty grey as opposed tobing red or pink (G12).

Top radiator hose feels quite firm when the engine is running too.

I've just bought a new thermostat and O ring and an expansion tank cap (not fitted yet) hoping that would solve the problem (at least the heating poblem) but now worried it is the dreaded HG (even though it is extremely rare on VAG/TDI engines) At worst I was hoping for a Waterpump but I'm really concerned that it is the HG.

Has anyone come across a VAG TDI engine HG failure. How much would it cost to repair?
Thanks

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
9/10 times its the water pump..... when i got a price on doing my HG (petrol) it was going to be around £1500+vat.... when was ya canbelt last done ??

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
Due probably

9/10 times its the water pump..... when i got a price on doing my HG (petrol) it was going to be around £1500+vat.... when was ya canbelt last done ??

I bought the car in September and although it's near full service history and have recipets for work done on the car over past few years. I can't see a cambelt change so it's probably due car's done 107,200 miles.

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
So you reckon it's not the head gasket even with the pressure in the coolant expansion tanks and no heat from the heaters fan blowing at HI as well as the coolant tank fluid being dirty grey?

I also noticed a little creamy brown gunge on the engine oil cap which I haven't noticed even though I have had problem since I bought the car.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
107k miles? what age is the car? Not really that important to be honest as I'd be pushing the car to a garage and having a belt & pump change. Engine dependant it should be done either 60k or 80k miles, most likely 60k. And / or every 4 years.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
if you do short drives then this time of yr you may well get some small creamy deposits on the oil filler cap. have you pulled the dip stick out and checked that ? also no heat to the car is a common sign of pump as the pump cant pump the water round the system.... have you read my thread from the link in this thread ??

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
So you reckon it's not the head gasket even with the pressure in the coolant expansion tanks and no heat from the heaters fan blowing at HI as well as the coolant tank fluid being dirty grey?

I also noticed a little creamy brown gunge on the engine oil cap which I haven't noticed even though I have had problem since I bought the car.

Just to add that I don't drive the car as I much I would have so I have read that oil cap gunge could also be condensation.

Man I am haivng a lot of trouble getting rid codensation from windscreen as a result of no heat with blowers being a little weaker than expected.

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
if you do short drives then this time of yr you may well get some small creamy deposits on the oil filler cap. have you pulled the dip stick out and checked that ? also no heat to the car is a common sign of pump as the pump cant pump the water round the system.... have you read my thread from the link in this thread ??

Yes I read the your thread which kind reassures me that it is the pump but feedback from garages and other threads relating coolant pressure associated to HG makes me concerned too.

Oil on dipstick is as expected black and not discolured. This is my first diesel and the engine oil appears to be darker than the petrols I have owned.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
mate i think i would save on the 40 notes spend it on the cam and pump change then go from there.... as i was set for the HG job but i thought sod it go for the belt/pump first then see..... and all mine was is a fooked pump.....

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
107k miles? what age is the car? Not really that important to be honest as I'd be pushing the car to a garage and having a belt & pump change. Engine dependant it should be done either 60k or 80k miles, most likely 60k. And / or every 4 years.

Car is a 2001 Y It may well have had a cambelt change but I didn't get any reciepts for work done on it and it doesn't look as though it's on the Service History. It's had 2 previous owners prior to me.

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
mate i think i would save on the 40 notes spend it on the cam and pump change then go from there.... as i was set for the HG job but i thought sod it go for the belt/pump first then see..... and all mine was is a fooked pump.....

I think I should put that 40 pounds towards the WP and Cambelt. Did you get a lot of pressure in the expansion tanks and what colour was your coolant? I just want to eliminate the HG. I've not had any overheating issues (temp guage largely appears to stay at 90) though reckon the stat is fooked. I'll get that stat fitted first. I occasionally get the feeling that something is cooking from around the car after I part it up can't tell if it's the exhaust or the under the. It is drving me crazy though.

Last edited:

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
my gauge was staying at 90 and also it was saying 90 on the climate control (setting 51). coolent was a brown colour lots of pressure in system....

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
Performace Issue?

my gauge was staying at 90 and also it was saying 90 on the climate control (setting 51). coolent was a brown colour lots of pressure in system....

Bingo, looks pretty much like what I am experiencing. What made you decide against doing the HG (price of 1500+VAT aside) on yours?

ANy ideas what effect a HG would have on the drivability on day to day driving performance?

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009

So all is well with yours then? i.e. no pressure in coolant tank? Coolant is pinky red and heating is working fine and demisting windscreen ok.

Sorry to sound pedantic

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
got price on both jobs... belt/pump was £255 and HG £1500 plus so being a tight ass i went for the cheaper. but i was told that if HG has gone then the engine would run rough/miss fire. but mine drive spot on

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.