water pump stuck!

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi all,

Whilst doing cambelt on my brothers 1999 2.0 16v SX ABF Cordy he asked me to do the water pump - had all the belts out of the way so why not? Trouble is I couldn't undo the allen bolts so decided to undo the water pump with the pulley wheel still attached, thiking that I could put it in a vice then undo the stubborn allen bolts. Erm, the unit has come away a bit too easy perhaps, but now it is stuck! I cant get it out! The bulge at the back of water pump is still just inside its housing, the inner wheel arch is too close so cant pull it out enough to wiggle it out and the bottom aux wheel (which also seems like its welded on) is in the way so cant move it down. All I can think of doing is to lower the engine, which will give me enough room to get the pump out. Can anyone think of another way?
Can anyone give advice as to how to remove the manky allen bolts? I will purchase new ones because of rounded heads - any idea as to sizes?M6 perhaps?(not sure of sizes as haven't managed to get any out yet!)

Please help, many thanks

Ferret:cry:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Somehow support the engine and undo the front engine mount and the gearbox mount whilst loosening the remaining rear right engine mount but leaving it in place. This might allow you to rotate the engine away from the inner arch. You may be able to get away with forcing either an over sized torques bit into the hex hole or a 12 pointed socket of whichever drive size suits for the space you have available and the breaking torque you need to apply over the allen bolt head. Then use a large screw driver or pry bar in against two of the allen key bolt heads whilst you loosen off the third one. Apply wd40 or similar before hand or I forget the name of the penitrating fluid that doesn't ignite when you apply heat. A plumbers torch would be helpful too.

Last edited:

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Pimped,
You are a master - thank you for advice,I will hopefully get on with this tomorrow and then let you know how I get on.
Many many thanks:happy:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
No problemo, forgot to say but I'm sure you would understood that you don't fully retract the third pulley retaining bolt but that you only retract the bolts once thay have all been cracked off. The second method is probably safer and doesn't require the use of a hoist/lift. All the best.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.