Waterfall in passenger footwell

NokNok

Hope someone can help me.

We recently started having water literally raining down into the passenger side foot well. Occasionally a little spills into the drivers side (out of blower vents) but not much.

It usually happens on hills or when swinging into turns.

We don't have a sun roof, and we have not really been using washers front/rear much. I originally thought it may be AC related as the water coming through is quite cold but we hardly use the AC. I can only think it's rain water from windscreen. I've also read about blocked pollen filters??

Water is coming from top left area of foot well near where the carpet ends, the carpet is soaking and if you pull it back sometime more water drains in. It's very difficult to actually see where it's coming from. Could it be through ventilation?

Last week I hoovered out all the debris/leaves from corners of engine bay as well as I could with the limited access and pored some water down both sides. It immediately starts draining out the wheel arch onto the road but no flow seen in footwell so it's seems it's pooling somewhere. Maybe the drain are blocked deep down out of sight?

Also I notice in the wheel arch area, the water drains out from different areas along the 'seam' in the arch. I can get my fingers all along the seam but can't see if the water should drain from one point only? Would this suggest a blockage?? I've also read about door problems??

I'd really appreciate some of your joint experiences or guidance on where to check.....:think:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Hope someone can help me.

We recently started having water literally raining down into the passenger side foot well. Occasionally a little spills into the drivers side (out of blower vents) but not much.

It usually happens on hills or when swinging into turns.

We don't have a sun roof, and we have not really been using washers front/rear much. I originally thought it may be AC related as the water coming through is quite cold but we hardly use the AC. I can only think it's rain water from windscreen. I've also read about blocked pollen filters??

Water is coming from top left area of foot well near where the carpet ends, the carpet is soaking and if you pull it back sometime more water drains in. It's very difficult to actually see where it's coming from. Could it be through ventilation?

Last week I hoovered out all the debris/leaves from corners of engine bay as well as I could with the limited access and pored some water down both sides. It immediately starts draining out the wheel arch onto the road but no flow seen in footwell so it's seems it's pooling somewhere. Maybe the drain are blocked deep down out of sight?

Also I notice in the wheel arch area, the water drains out from different areas along the 'seam' in the arch. I can get my fingers all along the seam but can't see if the water should drain from one point only? Would this suggest a blockage?? I've also read about door problems??

I'd really appreciate some of your joint experiences or guidance on where to check.....:think:

First port of call I would check is that there isn't debris in any of the bulkhead drains which allow water to drain through into the arches. You may have to remove a plastic skuttle cover under the windscreen to get full access to these, and the pollen filter enclosure.

I've heard of a case where someones pollen filter housing needed a gasket replacing between the housing and the bodywork as it had perished, but this was on a Leon, not an Alhambra.

Given the weather we are having this week it may be worth running by a local independent garage if you can't locate the issue as if you have electrical issues due to water ingress you could end up with a much bigger bill later on.

Logan 5

Jun 12, 2009
West Yorkshire
There is a common problem on Leons with the door seals going leaving a puddle of water in the footwells. I noticed this on mine when i cleaned it and found after a heavy downpour my carpets were soaked.

Not really sure if this ius your problem from the information you've given but if it is and your car is in Warranty you should be ok, if your like me and the warranty had expired then expect to cough up about £270 to replace the seals

NokNok

Thanks Warren and Logan for your helpful replies. I've done further investigation (recent rain has helped!).

Started by removing the glove box just to see where the wet is coming from. I can see the sound proofing is soaked where it encloses the underneath of the 'blower control unit' if I have right terminology. Water seems to be dripping from the join in one section of this equipment, the join is clamped shut with pressure clip things. The area up and behind the join seems dry as does the sound proofing so I'm pretty sure it coming from the lowest point in this blower unit; this is further proved as when the blowers are put on full the dripping speeds up!

Can I now be fairly sure it's blocked drain holes in the corner of engine bay under wiper mech? and if water is coming from 'inside' ventilation system would this also mean a ruined pollen filter and therefore needing replacement?:(

Pleased to hear all your thoughts, in meantime I'm going to remove wiper scuttle and feed a coat hanger down the drain holes to make sure they are 100% clear

Hoody

...had the same problem - in fact last year the storage compartment under the passenger seat filled with water & the alarm kept going off etc and the car wouldn't start at times. The interior was so waterlogged that we started a claim for flooding with our insurers!

Turns out that if we parked with the passenger side front as the lowest point the water must have been filling up under the windscreen and over flowing into the passenger well. I had to remove the little ecu box and dry it our with a hair dryer, reinstalled it and didn't have a problem again until this winter...

I began to suspect the sunroof then also. My OM mentioned he'd had the same issue with his Volvo estate and it was the drains in the A-frame or something...

So, I asked my local garage to clear the drains and that seems to have sorted the problem - they were completely blocked.
:)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.