Weird noise

KTG

Dec 13, 2017
I received my Ibiza a few days ago, the car has 18" rims and dual ride.

Considering the relatively low tire profile I would say the ride quality is pretty good over rough surfaces, potholes and other road imperfections. You definitely feel most of them but in a subtle and not in an annoying way.

That said, when I turn the steering wheel (with the car stationary) I hear some weird noise coming from the back, I suspect something in the rear suspension since it sounds like a metal stretching or contracting (if that makes sense) but I could be completely wrong about the origin.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or do you know if this is normal?

Thanks

KTG

Dec 13, 2017
I took a short video to better demonstrate this. Usually the sound is louder than what you'll hear on the video.

You can also see the car going up and down as I turn the steering wheel.

The sound is noticeable in seconds: 2-3 and 7-8

Let me know what you think, thanks in advance
vimeo.com/257503275

KTG

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks for your response. Now that you said it, it does sound like the brakes but it is a bit weird since the back wheels do not move at all and the sound comes from the back.

About the car movement, does your car also lean to one way or the other depending on what direction you steer?
When I steer to the left, the left part of the car gets elevated, which seems a bit odd. If anything, shouldn't it do the opposite to compensate for the weight transfer on a turn and the natural body roll that comes with?

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
It might be an effect of the McPherson-type front suspension. When the wheels are rotated, they do not remain flat in respect to the ground, but get angled a bit, like a bicycle front wheel. In a left turn, only left side of the tires will tend to remain in contact with the ground, which may appear like the car is slightly rolling to the right side.

KTG

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks for your input, I don't know if you managed to watch the video ( vimeo.com/257503275 ) but you can see the whole body of the car going down and then up as I steer right and then left when the car is stationary. It might just be because of the angle of the front wheels as you said but it is a big movement.

Does your car behave the same way when it is stationary and you steer?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Is yours a 1.0 manual DSG, or a 1.5? If DSG, was it doing this is D or N or P?

Oh, and just saw concrete proof that the twin tail pipes are definately fake haha..

Last edited:

KTG

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah, they're fake on all models, but there is an exhaust valve on mine (1.5). I don't know if this is present on other versions too.

imgur.com/a/qZmTv

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for your input, I don't know if you managed to watch the video ( vimeo.com/257503275 ) but you can see the whole body of the car going down and then up as I steer right and then left when the car is stationary. It might just be because of the angle of the front wheels as you said but it is a big movement.

Does your car behave the same way when it is stationary and you steer?

I might be able to film it in a week or two - right now outside it's too cold and unpleasant.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.