Weird Rear Light Issues

Hayzcupra

Oct 23, 2014
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

We have bought a 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.2 12v recently. The rear lights have stopped working on the boot apart from the brake strip under the spoiler. No reverse lights or brake lights or main lights come on at all.

Are these on the same fuse? Is it likely to be this issue?

Thanks
Hayley

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There is a switch on the tailgate that cuts the lights when the boot is open. That would be the first thing I'd look at.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sorry to be dumb.. where abouts can I find this?

Sorry, I don't know. I know there is a switch as the lights get switched off when you open the tailgate but I don't know where the switch is. My guess would be on the latch.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
I checked the rear lights on my 3 door 2005 TDi FR at work this morning. Reversing and side lights remained on when tailgate is opened. I'd check the condition of the wires in the loom from the car body to the tailgate. Not uncommon with cars of this type to have broken cables in the part where they have to continually bend as the tailgate is opened.
Also worth checking the bulbs haven't just blown. I've owned this car for three or four years and had to change the tailgate bulbs two or three times during that time.