Wet rear passenger carpet - Butyl seals already done all the way round.

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Evening all, long time no post!

As the title suggest I've got a very wet footwell in the rear passengers side.

Read through gawd knows how much stuff on this, but can't seem to find anything other than the stuff I read about two years ago, when I stripped all the door carriers off and replaced the sh1te SEAT foam seal with 8mm butyl.

Did them all the way round 3/4 of the way up and took caare to remove all residue of old seal and not murder them when I tightened the carrier bolts up.

Anyway, left the car standing for a week over xmas, got in and there was mild condensation. Odd I thought, but put it down to lack of use. Dumped it round my dads last Friday, picked it up yesterday and its soaked.

All other foot wells and carpets are dry.

Any thoughts???

Cheers in advance B

Titchayers

Jul 2, 2012
It has to be your rear passenger door if your front passenger footwell is dry.
Or take a look at the door seal on the front door (the one that actually runs down the rear door). mine came off that ridge it sits on, and water pours in after that.

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Hi folks,

Cheers for prompt responses.

Pollen filter: I thought that only soaked the front passenger footwell? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaker surrounds: are you saying there's the same crap foam seal round them where they join the carrier?

Rear door seal on front door: Didnt know there was one:)

I take it it's attached to the front door but seals up against the rear one..?
Did this cause water in the rear on yours?

Cheers again. B

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
The water can run to the back if the car has been on a slope, when I did mine the back doors were ok but it was the back footwells that were wettest. So it could be coming from the pollen filter and running back maybe?

Titchayers

Jul 2, 2012
The seal is actually on the rear door and runs the whole way down it. From the top of the door to the bottom of the window it is glued on, but from there to the bottom of the door it is just slotted onto a ridge on the front on the rear door which is the bit the comes off. It is the only seal that seals that whole side of the door up so you can't miss it.

Mine came off and I shut it in the door catch which misshaped it and I could never get it to stay on the that ridge properly again until I got a new seal.

I'm going to go with it being the speaker surrounds, but I would definitely double check this. And yeah, the pollen filter, it's a matter of 2 minutes to whip that out and just check for water.

Jun 25, 2012
Manchester
Mine turned out to be my speaker surrounds, took the door card off and got the missus to spray with hose pipe over the passenger door whilst I say in it, it trickled through the bottom of the speaker surround

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Thanks again all.

Will do some investigating today and follow up with a post if I can establish anything.

In terms of the speaker surrounds, what's the fix for this?

I've got some butyl left if I can find it but it may be too thick to get between speaker/surround. What's everyone else done - silicone:rolleyes:

Cheers B

Jun 25, 2012
Manchester
I put butyl on the outside of the surround and pressed it on, about half way either side cos it was coming directly from the bottom. Worked up until now

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.