I will be doing my LCR this weekend if its nice

1. 2 bucket wash lambs wool mitt
2. Dry with microfibre (big thirsty) drying towl
3. BLow out water in any recess
4. Clay bar whole car
5, Polish with either chemical guys all in one of poor boys polish
6. Wax with Poor boys natty blue
7. Seal with Chemical guys ultra wet look shine

Once thats done ill try the wheels with chemical guys wheels guard and then exhaust with autosole. Hover out interior and treat inside with dash wipes.
Hopefully by sunday the car will look quite nice

Ill do the engine next weekend

You guys obviously have so much spare time on your hands to do all this! :p (jk).

On a serious note, after doing Steps 1, 2 and 3 above, does a car where the paint is only a couple of years old benefit from 4 and 5 (is 5 an abrasive polish to remove imperfections)?

Cheers in advance.

I can get away with 1, 2 and 3, before the wife is looking out the door / window, asking when I'll be back in to do jobs around the house! Hmmm. :rolleyes:

I've been following a handful of these threads recently, as Im very interested in the deep gloss treatments, following the washing, to give the car a lasting shine / weather protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

FR_Flavoured

If you dont want to risk additional swirls and have a car where the paintwork is already in decent condition, after the thorough wash and dry, can you then go straight to a sealing Wax, to protect the paintwork from the elements and road grime - plus give it a great shine in the process?

Might sound odd, but I've experienced bad swirls on dark coloured cars before, and therefore dont want to interfere with the paintwork to that extent, in an attempt to reduce the chances of picking up swirl/cobweb blemishes.

Therefore I'd like to simply apply a decent wax at the end of a good wash just to protect the paint?
Is this ok to do ?

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
it is however if there are any contaminants or surface defects if you miss out the polishing stage the wax wont produce the best results.

If you use the correct cloths and wash the car properly then use proper polishes and waxes you wont get swirl marks :)

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
If you dont want to risk additional swirls and have a car where the paintwork is already in decent condition, after the thorough wash and dry, can you then go straight to a sealing Wax, to protect the paintwork from the elements and road grime - plus give it a great shine in the process?

Might sound odd, but I've experienced bad swirls on dark coloured cars before, and therefore dont want to interfere with the paintwork to that extent, in an attempt to reduce the chances of picking up swirl/cobweb blemishes.

Therefore I'd like to simply apply a decent wax at the end of a good wash just to protect the paint?
Is this ok to do ?

You can yes.

To be honest there isnt a real need to polish a car unless there are large amounts of visible swirl marks and even then it is down to how shiny you want your car to look. Lets face it. 9 out of 10 people will see a clean car and be happy with that... its only when you see a swirl free shiny car next to one thats swirly when the clean swirly car starts to look crap !

FR_Flavoured

Thankyou for the feedback above.

I cracked open my nice new Pot of Natty Blue wax at the weekend. AM impressed. :)
I'd say it's given the car a much deeper shine, than how it would look after a usual wash! Does look great.

But a " wet look shine "? Not sure whats the difference really / how would you define that? lol.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Its quite difficult to explain in words...

Some waxes give a finish which looks wet and deep enough to dive into... the best place imo on the Leon to see that is the curve of the rear wing and bumper viewed from behind the car.

You'll see a shine (thats a given) but the mix of curves and light on those panels lends a fluid wet / silky look to it.

Some waxes then give a more sterile finish. Its shiny but there is less of a fluid look to the curves, they would be more defined in their shape and the reflections from these waxes are usually a bit clearer.

HTH, Nige

FR_Flavoured

n_d_fox, thankyou for your explaination on the wet look and waxes, nicely written. :)
Considering Im using one of the much hyped wet look waxes (Natty Blue) then I will take it mine does have that wet look to it.

When i detailed it at the weekend there was ALOT of tar spots. Not sure why thats recently happened.

On a side note, what do you recommend to use, to wipe all dust off the car, while dry? Normal microfibre cloth or? ...as when it rains, all that dust will stick and look pretty dirty.

JamJay

California Bound
On a side note, what do you recommend to use, to wipe all dust off the car, while dry? Normal microfibre cloth or? ...as when it rains, all that dust will stick and look pretty dirty.

You shouldn't really dry wipe a car as it drags the dirt particals over the bodywork. I recommend (from experience) using a detailing spray with a microfibre cloth, this should capture the dirt and transfer it to the cloth. Make sure that you turn the cloth regularly and use a separate microfibre cloth to buff off. Dodo Juice Red Mist is about the best detailer that I have used, it's alot better than water based equivalents, it's essentially a spray sealant so it'll restore the the freshly waxed look to the car while adding an extra layer of protection.

I think I learnt the above from this thread actually :D

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
My only concern with using Red Mist to "dust off" a car is that its a sealant so it has the potential to seal in the dust / dirt.

I have dusted a car down in the past (the morning after cleaning it the day before) and used Megs Last Touch which is a water based quick detailer (essentially the same product as the Megs QD you can buy from Halfords.

You can then add a sealant or wax or whatever you like... if the finish has already been achieved then your done after the wipe down.

The safest way would be a rinse with an open ended hose or watering can and then a dry off though.

FR_Flavoured

Thankyou both for your feedback, great stuff ! :D
Well its started spitting here, but the car is still looking good.

Interesting information posted, all taken on board. Might have to give it a rinse with a hose to splash off the layer thats laid on the surface. At least it was just recently waxed, therefore shouldn't be too stubborn to shift (at this time)... :)

Looking forward to re-applying the Wax once we are into the summer, then plan a cruise to the coast to cool down (thats if we see ANY summer at all). :D

JamJay

California Bound
Looking forward to re-applying the Wax once we are into the summer, then plan a cruise to the coast to cool down (thats if we see ANY summer at all). :D

Wash & wax it, drive it to the coast, armed with a water based detailer and a sealant detailer and get busy. People will think you're mad most likely but at least you'll have a spotless car while it's parked up!

FR_Flavoured

Wash & wax it, drive it to the coast, armed with a water based detailer and a sealant detailer and get busy. People will think you're mad most likely but at least you'll have a spotless car while it's parked up!

Good plan! :) While I'm at it, I'll take a marquee also, which i will then erect OVER the car - then get busy.
People (at the Golf course) probably already think Im mad, as i was parked up there last weekend taking a handful of snaps! Well, I didnt do all that hard work for nothing. :D

How about a Summer SEAT LEON CRUISE ?? :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.