what did you and your mk3 leon do today

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
How did you find fitting the splitter? Thinking of getting one myself.
I've fitted 3 TRC splitters at this stage, 2 to a Leon FR and 1 to my Cupra. same procedure for both. I really should have done a DIY instruction post on how to do it last time. I've tried the self tappers by themselves and I ended up having the splitter get ripped off the car at 180km/h from the force of the air resistance alone. That prompted the 2nd fitting. This time it was bolted on and it's was fine till I sold the car, got a Cupra in April and bolted on another one. The cupra has gone to 235km/h and it didn't budge. You can bolt it on WITHOUT removing the bumper, it's fiddly and is way easier with a extra set of hands. A set of jack stands is a must before you work underneath the car. A splitter is not worth getting crushed to death for lads. Safety first. Halfords sell a 2 tonne set for about €30.

You have to remove the two wheels and front section of the wheel arch liners, no need to remove the section directly above the wheel, this is only a couple screws. Get under the car and loosen the plastic sump guard or remove it completely. This is only a few screws as well and its 2 pieces of flat thin plastic. This will give you access to the inside of the bottom of the bumper. I used 3 self tappers to align the splitter and hold it in place, get someone to help you line it up with the arches and put one tapper through the pre drilled holes on either side and one in the middle(center of the bumper). This will make life easier when you are drilling. If you dont have a drill or self tappers just tape it in place. Now drill holes big enough to take the supplied bolts, they're M5 i think, through each of the splitters pre drilled holes.

You can now just feed the bolt up through the holes and you should be able to add the nut to each bolt either through the arches for the side ones or from directly under the car for the front 3. It's tight for the center 3 but its doable, a small hand will help. Just bend the underside of the bumper down and you can slip your hand into this space where you will find the bolt sticking up through the bumper. It is tricky to get the nut started in the bolt. A spanner on top of the nut and an allen key bit in a drill to wind it down quick once its on the end of the bolt does the trick. Do this for all 9 bolts. The splitter is now fitted so just re attach your sump guard and arches and you're off.

Total time for myself and my dad to get this done the 3rd time was about an hour from jacking it up to lowering it back down. Removing the front bumper is defintely not the easier way to do this unless you plan to do some other jobs like painting the grill/license plate area and bumper below the grill at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jordan Neill

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
The wife went out in London last night for a work thing... being a good husband I took her back to her work earlier to collect her car rather than letting her get the train.

Don’t trust dashcam gps speed stamps so I’ve probably got a speed awareness course and a £92 bill coming my way

All the stupid s#%t I’ve done in that car I’m going to get a done for 36/37mph ‍♂️... the irony is killing me!

f78339380f8a4b676fe04c7733b9b088.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
All the stupid s#%t I’ve done in that car I’m going to get a done for 36/37mph ‍♂️... the irony is killing me!

Which MIB unit you got in your car? If able to, it might be worth adding speed camera POI’s to it. I have and to be honest even if I only use them as an indicator that there might be a camera near, it’s a help.

What nextbase camera you using? I’m looking to get a 512gw fitted. Still undecided as it could work for me or against me mph .

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The wife went out in London last night for a work thing... being a good husband I took her back to her work earlier to collect her car rather than letting her get the train.

Don’t trust dashcam gps speed stamps so I’ve probably got a speed awareness course and a £92 bill coming my way

f78339380f8a4b676fe04c7733b9b088.jpg

If you slowed at this point you may still be okay if it was aimed for after passing the lamp post.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
If only the street lighting corrresponded with a 30 limit. Depending on your force, at 35 you're on the charging threshold so mightn't escape with a awareness course.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
If you slowed at this point you may still be okay if it was aimed for after passing the lamp post.

I slowed down sharpish after this point when I saw it. The irony is that because the aforementioned Mrs Blowski was hungover and feeling ever so slightly ill I had the car in comfort mode and was driving like a vicar on a Sunday morning.

Where that camera was positioned was in a little village called Alkham and you come out of a really slow (20mph) couple of corners then go over the brow of a hill as you come over the hill it’s sat there hiding.

Now if the ITP comes through I will take my medicine and go on the course as at the end of the day the speed limit is 30 and I’m doing 35 plus but there are never any accidents there, ever! All the accidents are further down the road when it opens up but they’d make no money sitting there in plain sight. Legislation saying they can be within 5k of a serious accident site to me just allows them to pick and choose which location is the best money maker

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Which MIB unit you got in your car? If able to, it might be worth adding speed camera POI’s to it. I have and to be honest even if I only use them as an indicator that there might be a camera near, it’s a help.

What nextbase camera you using? I’m looking to get a 512gw fitted. Still undecided as it could work for me or against me mph .

I’ve got a 280 so whatever one was standard in that. It’s general not a place where people excessively speed due to village location and tight roads and blind bends etc.

Using a 412gw. Got it tucked up behind the rear view mirror so I can’t see it really which I like. Nextbase have recently updated the iOS app and now it rubbish. And the playback on my laptop is jerky and poor. Shame really from such a populate brand in the uk.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018

Also, I had your concern about the camera being incriminating but to be honest you’ve probably more chance of someone else recording you doing something a bit silly and sending it to the police.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
If only the street lighting corrresponded with a 30 limit. Depending on your force, at 35 you're on the charging threshold so mightn't escape with a awareness course.

36mph is the CPS threshold for standard 3 points or awareness course. I think it’s above 50mph in a 30mph where you get summonsed to court.

As mentioned I don’t trust the gps speed stamp to be that accurate, 35mph on a dashcam could easily be 34,36 or 37mph.

When all said and done the only thing that will matter is what the camera can says I was doing. 35mph and below I’m good, 36mph or above then I’m not.

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
In norrthern ireland they seem a little bit more leanient as on my driver awareness course every1 that was on the course that got done in a 30 was done at 37mph by maths u get 10% + 3 :p this equation worked for all the speed limits.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
In norrthern ireland they seem a little bit more leanient as on my driver awareness course every1 that was on the course that got done in a 30 was done at 37mph by maths u get 10% + 3 :p this equation worked for all the speed limits.

10% plus 2 here according to CPS website... I love a bit of consistency in the UK

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Nextbase have recently updated the iOS app and now it rubbish. And the playback on my laptop is jerky and poor. Shame really from such a populate brand in the uk.

That’s put me off a bit. I knew Nextbase were regarded as good to have and the app was good I’ll have to have a rethink.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
That’s put me off a bit. I knew Nextbase were regarded as good to have and the app was good I’ll have to have a rethink.

I've got a 412GW and I don't have any of those problems, been great so far and caught someone crash their TVR shortly after I bought it - worth it just to have that on film!

Reactions: Maypack

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I've got a 412GW and I don't have any of those problems, been great so far and caught someone crash their TVR shortly after I bought it - worth it just to have that on film!

What pc/ Mac are you using? Nextbase tell me that it should work ok on my spec laptop but watching through the nextbase reply on windows is jerky. If I use windows video player then it’s fine

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Received my OBDeleven. Spent time reading upon what todo as I’m a geek and like to double check everything

Checking out the long coding threads and preparing my way forward.

Cautious approach for me

Deleted member 103408

Maypack two things to point out (and i am sure you know this already).

Firstly the BAU (Control Unit 09) no longer has long coding in the facelift cars.
Secondly be aware if the coding you are looking at is for facelift or pre facelift cars as the coding has changed on some things.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.