What engine for New Seat Ibiza FR

Khamal

Sep 19, 2016
Hello i am looking forward to buy the new Seat Ibiza.I would like to ask(if you know) what engine should i choose.I am close to pick 1.0 tsi 115 hp because of its economy but i am wondering if this small engine can move the car easily through city or to motorway for a roadtrip.

The money difference with 1.5 is 700 euro(1.0 costs 15.050 euro in Greece and 1.5 15750 both without 8 inch screen) but i think that 1.5 would be consume a lot more petrol than the 1.0

What do you think?

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
It would depend on where you do most if your driving. If it's city speeds then go for the 1.0, if there are mire motorway miles the you might prefer the 1.5. Also depends on your driving style, if it was me and only 700 euros extra then the 1.5 is a no-brainier.

Khamal

Sep 19, 2016
Most of the time the car will be used in city.I know that the difference is not big but if 15750 is the price without 400 euro for colour,500 euro FR plus package(8inch screen+18'' alloy wheels) and 400 euro for taxation,papers etc.

I think the 1.5 will have about 2 liters more fuel consumption than the 1.0 right?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I'd go with the 1.5 all day long. In real world driving they will probably both return around 45 mpg

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
At such a small price differential the 1.5 would be an obvious choice for me. However, it's not clear when the 1.5 will be available - it's not on either the UK or German configurator and so that would have to be factored into the decision.

Khamal

Sep 19, 2016
The problem is the taxation in Greece and also the price of petrol also.Probably i would go for the 1.0 if i will get satisfied from the test drive.Also 1.5 will be available from January so thats also a factor that i should consider.I saw also and 0-100(about 9 secs for 100km/h) video of the 1.0 tsi and the car looks pretty ok for me.It is a little bit faster than my old 1.4 tsi 125 leon and faster than 1.0 125 ecoboost fiesta.Also with and ECU update i think i car reach 140 hp.Not bad i think.I am not sure for only one think.If living with 1.0 is more economical in fuel consumption than 1.5.I think it is but what do you say?

Last edited:

Khamal

Sep 19, 2016
It means you have to keep it well-polished to reduce its drag coefficent. :fool:

Hehe sorry you meean to keep it shiny?lol
I dotn know all the english words or phrases and google translate dont help me a lot hehe.

The guy that told me that is against buying the 1.0?He said also something about not be economical.Please explain in simplier words.tnx tnx :D:D:D

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
He is just saying that if you drive fast in the 1.0 it may well use just as much fuel as the 1.5. He may well be right. The 1.5 has higher gearing and the extra torque may mean you do not have to rev the engine so much.

Only if you drive relatively slowly will the 1.0 be more economical.

As you say though, delivery times and tax costs need to be considered.

Khamal

Sep 19, 2016
Oh thanks a lot for the explation.Actually i care more for the every day use fuel consmuption in city driving.The only consider i have is that if the 1.0 could make a long trip with aircondition on and 2-3 person and luggages.And show economical could do that.Consider that in Greece we have 38-40 oC in the Summer.I will do my test drive on Monday and i iwll inform you about my experience :D :D

cjazz

Jul 10, 2017
Are the 1.5's available in the UK yet? If not any idea when they are to be introduced to the UK market and also when is the 1.6 diesel version coming to the UK?

Tink_8

Sep 18, 2016
I'd choose the 1.5 personally...a bit more scope ;0) exciting times either way!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I have the current (not new) 1.0 EcoTSI 110 DSG...

I find it has plenty enough power for day to day use. My previous car was a Seat Leon 2.0TDI 150 DSG, so I can compare. What car KHAMAL did you have before?

Off the line, the 1.0 is plenty quick, even in 2nd gear which it sometimes inexplicably decides to start on DSG, I can move quickly. Most people who don't know it's a 1.0 thinks it's a 1.6 or 1.8. If rolling already and need to overtake a long lorry, well...there's no replacement for displacement, the 2.0TDI will fly.

A reviewer on youtube from did a 0-100 km sprint in the 1.0 115 in 8 secs flat on DSG, afterwhic he tested the 1.5, and he mentioned, wow this one is quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyJ8Ftg890 @ 4:30

London City driving in heavy traffic, I get about 30-35 mpg, Medium traffic 35-43mpg, light traffic, 44-52mpg. Best ever was 58 mpg from East to West London via central on a Sunday AM.

If on dual carriageway (speeds 40-50mph) can do about 55-60mpg (my best was 63mpg)
If on highway (speeds 65-75mpg) can do about 47-55 mpg

It doesn't need to be 'ragged' to make progress, but I do agree that if you accelerate/drive fast and not at a constant steady speed, this EcoTSI isn't very Economical, plus their fuel consumption test is putting the car on a 'treadmill' and doesn't have traffic factored into it.

In the real world, I don't think the 1.0 EcoTSI is very much economical than the 1.4 ACT or 1.5 EV0, as those are running as a '2 cylinder 750cc' engine on light throttle.

I have a feeling my 110 is really already more than a 110 powerwise. On VW's UP 1.0TSI in Brazil, when put on Dyno, it was doing 134bhp stock!

In summary, if you are willing to part your money for the 1.5 Evo (after the higher initial price, perhaps slightly higher tax/insurance). Plus bigger cars behind you at the lights will drop their jaws when they can't keep up with you, always a plus, go for the 1.5 Evo.

Also had the previous Ibiza 1.4 ACT was avaliable with a DSG, I would have got that instead of my 1.0 EcoTSI. But I have no complains about the power for what it is, a very speedy car considering it's 999cc.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
My wife has a 1.2 TSI Ibiza, to say you could have trouble on motorways or overtaking is doing it a disservice IMO.

I find it just as easy in the 1.2 as I do in my A250 that has almost twice the power.

When it comes to bigger cars at lights the 1.0 and 1.5 are fairly evenly matched, again in my opinion. Most of these bigger cars are heavier and don't have much power in the first place. The 1.0 would be fine I think. If there's anyone else at the traffic lights Grand Prix with a decently powered engine then the 1.5 won't be enough to see them off anyway.
This said I didn't have much problem it the wife's 1.2 or the Mk3 1.4 Leon I used to have. But maybe I picked my battles wisely XD

KXL - how do you find the 1.0 DSG? I'm wondering whether it's something worth having or whether to stick to manual and spend the extra cash on more toys.

bcr5784

Mar 25, 2016
Having tested a 1.2 Ibiza and hired a 1.2 Leon, I'm sure that the 1.2 engine will be perfectly adequate for most peoples needs. That said, the 1.4 feels much much faster and is far more effortless. As others have said the 1.4 surprises almost everyone with how fast it feels.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
When it comes to bigger cars at lights the 1.0 and 1.5 are fairly evenly matched, again in my opinion. Most of these bigger cars are heavier and don't have much power in the first place. The 1.0 would be fine I think. If there's anyone else at the traffic lights Grand Prix with a decently powered engine then the 1.5 won't be enough to see them off anyway.

KXL - how do you find the 1.0 DSG? I'm wondering whether it's something worth having or whether to stick to manual and spend the extra cash on more toys.

I find the DSG hugely useful in the city. Plus I have the paddles, so you can even downshift before corners etc. Only gripe I have with this particular 7 speed DSG paired with the 1.0 3 cyl engine, is that when it was new it stutters A LOT from base rpms to about 1.8k rpm in 1st and 2nd gear, like in a manual when you are starting off, and you drop the clutch too quickly type of feeling. However now it has done 3.5k, either it's lessened or I just got used to it. I will try to pay attention on the weekend when I use it again. Besides the stuttery start, it's very smooth, and you don't know when it shifts except or engine note or you look at the rpm needle drop. Being an EcoTSI however, it shifts too soon for my liking, it would even shift up @ 1500 rpm.

When I had the 6 speed DSG on my Leon 2.0 TDI 150, it's a lot smoother, doesn't stutter at all. This one seems to shift with better logic for a diesel, @ 1.7-2.2 k rpm most of the time. Don't forget the 1.0 EcoTSI has more torque (and at lower rpms I think) than the 1.2 TSI. But not as much as my old car, that one with footdown, you feel like you are in a plane on the runway taking off.

Regarding traffic light GP, I was at the lights (waiting for green) entering a 70mph carriageway via an onramp? (the single or sometimes double lanes entering the motorway). Looked in my mirror and saw the new facelift Leon FR (with LED lights) behind.
So I thought, why not...lets see what 'big brother' has got. Put it into S mode, and on green, foot down almost fully (eg...car shifted @ 4.5-5k rpm). That Leon had the same idea and stuck behind me until the road opened up, and there it went to overtake me. Well, I suspect it was a 2.0 TDI 184 or a 1.8 TS 180.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.