Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

what have you done to your car today ?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by seatcupramad23, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dgjdrummer

dgjdrummer Part-timer

I read on the Skoda forum that you can just swap the inner track rods over for the ones from the standard rack and not worry about the hubs/arms etc so just looking for the actual rack.

I've had a price from a guy who breaks LCRs near me who is asking £90, seems about normal for a used one so if that's all I need I'll be going for it!

Did you find the steering was any heavier after swapping over? I've heard it changes the feel a bit but also makes it slightly heavier when parking/city driving.

2. L16YDW

L16YDW Big Beefy Boy

I paid £60 Inc 3 months warranty for the rack. The steering is heavier but in a good way. I've always found the stock Leon handling numb and light. The whole setup has transformed the car from poor to rather impressive.

And yes on the rack ends, swap straight over

#9122 L16YDW, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. dgjdrummer

dgjdrummer Part-timer

That sounds awesome mate, do you find it turns in a bit better now? I always feel like it takes the car a split second to catch up with me turning the steering wheel!

To be honest money is a bit tight and I'm not looking to track the car or anything, just upgrade this 1 part while I can. If I get the arms with it I may consider getting the hubs and lower arms in future though.

Thanks for confirming that, should be a pretty straightforward job!

4. Bert

Bert Tom AKA Bert

I think (touch wood) my EML issue is solved! My mates stupid expensive diagnostic tool said the throttle body needed resetting, so that's done! Also checked for air leaks.......none! And found it has a forge 007 recirc fitted! So I'm a happy bunny again! Thanks for all the advice people

5. L16YDW

L16YDW Big Beefy Boy

Really straight forward swap.

I couldn't say how the rack alone would affect turn in as I did it all in one. :shrug:

I always found there was little difference in the input from about 2pm to 3pm on steering angle and the front would wash out with under-steer. Since this lot it's grips like mad in comparison, I can get on the power much earlier and under-steer is almost gone!

For anyone in the Norwich area thinking of doing this mod it might be worth giving VAG Shack in Norwich a call. I was offered the full front setup (subframe, rack, wishbones, hubs, arb and struts) for £150. All off a mk1 TT 2wd so hubs were a direct bolt on!

#9125 L16YDW, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. seatturbopower

seatturbopower Active Member

so are you planning on keeping the Spanish stig now then and not selling it mate?...good looking car that is, with plenty spent on it from the look of it :)

7. daspeedfreek

daspeedfreek Active Member

Fitted an FK coilover kit and powerflex dog bone. Nice difference and looks a lot better. I'll adjust in a few days once it's settled.

8. LCsTed

LCsTed Active Member

Blew the boost pipe off from the EGR on the slip road to the M4! must not have pushed it in far enough before putting the clips back on Doh!! All good now :)

New battery fitted, finally put the ISO connector into the head unit for the radio to work, washed and cleaned up.

Bought new discs and pads for front and rear just need to fit them now.

9. CupraPig

CupraPig Active Member

Dropped the Leon off for its MOT...fingers crossed!

10. RACK

RACK Active Member

Thought about buying a new battery but ended up ripping the door apart..... again (That butil tape defo seals well!) and swapping the door lock modual out. Now I can open the door without having to use the key and want to kick it

11. jackoni

jackoni Active Member

Booked a smoke test and hoping he is gona tell me i have splits all over the place...otherwise im beat!

12. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

Gave mine and the Mrs cars a good clean inside & out

13. useyourname

useyourname Active Member

Broke the rear tailgate interior plastic trying to do the rear wiper bung mod - gave up after bruising my hand to bits and made the assumption is all held together with superglue. :rofl:

14. redtill

redtill black magic

Stage 1 revo map@MidlandVW

15. Welsh

Welsh Active Member

N249 bypass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Bouncerbeater

Bouncerbeater Old enough to know better

Booked my LCR in to have its remap remapped. Time for a bit of Badger5 Magic :D

17. Stuart83

Stuart83 Active Member

Booked the car in to have the Milltek Exhaust fitted, also bought 4 x Vredestein Sessantas from Camskill to be put on when needed (next month probably).

18. Bouncerbeater

Today I booked a full respray for my LCR to bring it back to its former glory..gone in the diary for springtime.

19. sparkie1984

sparkie1984 sparky

Bet that's a few quid mate!!

20. Bouncerbeater

It is indeed but hey, I'm going to be keeping the car so will be good to have it looking it's best. Could have just done two doors and some scratches etc but would have regretted not doing the lot.