what have you done to your car today ?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
What the hell is going on! I've seen 8 cupra r for sale right now for less than 2k and there all good nick, service, nice milage ect ect.
What do people know that I don't? I know tax is going up a little but wtf!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yep, seeing the same, none of the ones I've seen for sale in the 3.5K upwards are selling either, just not a market when people sell these off too cheap. I suggest we all get together to agree no one sells there Cupra R for less than 3K, this will push prices up but also upset the scrappers...

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Yep, seeing the same, none of the ones I've seen for sale in the 3.5K upwards are selling either, just not a market when people sell these off too cheap. I suggest we all get together to agree no one sells there Cupra R for less than 3K, this will push prices up but also upset the scrappers...
When I see them I ask them why main reason for cheap sale? is cost of running a cupra r. Insurance,tax, repairs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: vwtrev

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I think like most cars as they age the audience changes and so does the money available to maintain/buy them.
The LCR isnt a particularly hard car to maintain (if done properly) but it is relatively complex and I think that puts people off and drives prices down.

With me its a labour of love , and I'm probably not the right kind of person to be owning one, restricted finances, no where to work on it and I'm a fairly stressy sort of person and tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.

I dont think my LCR owes me anywhere near as much as some , but if I took the labour costs alone for the repairs i've done etc then it probably owes me about 5k and right now its worth a max of 2.5.

Reactions: BadBoy03 and vwtrev

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Makes the cupra 180 a steal at the prices they go for hence i bought mine

You can get a mk2 fr or a high mile mk2 cupra for the price of a mk1 lcr which i think also puts people off as to buy a mk1 you must really specifically want one

leon mk1 cupra

Too true, I keep getting tempted by 360/380bhp Mk2's for around 5K but then see the interior, and then start thinking, the brakes will need updating... and it all starts over again... Much prefer the Mk1 overall, so for now stuck with mine :cheeky:

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I’d happily pay £4k+ for the right car. People get hung up on mileage. Maintenance and condition of car are so important. No two 15 year old cars can be truly compared from photos/ads etc. They’ll have had very different lifetimes.
Shame that everyone expects a stage 2 low mileage example for 2.5k these days.
I think prices will go back up eventually but don’t hold your breath or consider it and investment!!

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Maybe, a quick look on howmanyleft.co.uk says there are only 2k on the roads and 627 SORN, which means over 1000 have been crashed / broken for parts!!

In comparison, a Ford Focus RS Mk1 (released at the same time and comparable performance, etc.), I guess would be around 1.5k of them left and they are now over 10K to buy (RS people are nuts with there money if it's got an RS badge :) )

Also, Honda Civic Type R, looks to be about 11k of them in existence and they are around the same price as Leon's, so in short a lot is the unknown fact with our cars, till they lose a race to one :)

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Too true, I keep getting tempted by 360/380bhp Mk2's for around 5K but then see the interior, and then start thinking, the brakes will need updating... and it all starts over again... Much prefer the Mk1 overall, so for now stuck with mine :cheeky:
Brakes are fine with a decent set of pads mate , my mk2 was 340bhp and anchored on well enough in the streets and on motorway where required

Saying that the mk1 isnt the nicest of places to sit either , do miss the buckets kn my mk2 cupra mind you

leon mk1 cupra

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Maybe, a quick look on howmanyleft.co.uk says there are only 2k on the roads and 627 SORN, which means over 1000 have been crashed / broken for parts!!

In comparison, a Ford Focus RS Mk1 (released at the same time and comparable performance, etc.), I guess would be around 1.5k of them left and they are now over 10K to buy (RS people are nuts with there money if it's got an RS badge :) )

Also, Honda Civic Type R, looks to be about 11k of them in existence and they are around the same price as Leon's, so in short a lot is the unknown fact with our cars, till they lose a race to one :)
A decent type r will be in the leons range especially premier editions

A few mates have had them over the years and non of them had any issues with anything on them other than the odd oil top up , jump in rev the nuts off them on the way to work and repeat to go home everyday just as honda intended so i can see why they hold their value for a GOOD one , and youl always see an ep on a track day too. Im considering one myself but id miss the lazy torque of a turbo

leon mk1 cupra

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I'm a bit of a brake snob :)

As my car is a track car and not a daily (the suspension is not pot-hole worthy), I did look at Civic Type R's and Clio Cups also but decided engine and brakes were better on the Cupra R as standard for my money. Mine has been very reliable, took me 25 trackdays to break something on it and then that was only really due to the CV gaiter splitting and letting out all the grease, so not really damaged.

Civics are rated highly as reliable but cost a lot to get decent power (a friend spent a small fortune turbo'ing his).

As for Honda's on trackdays, seen 3 rolled over the years, something about their backends, mean they just snap on people.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Sorry mate. Every thing has gone in the bin. Tried to sell the full leather seats and door cards... it sold on eBay 3 time I advertised it.... for a massive sum of £5.... Yep just a 5er
i would have had the lot of you for a good drink if i known that , my passenger front leather seat is rocking a bit i suspect the bushings are shot

Gutted :( some people dont know a bargain

leon mk1 cupra

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Do those "assister" springs work ?, make them any better ?

I think I need to try them next before I change mine again. Left has been sticking on for first 100 metres of driving.
Yesterday it was the right sides turn to stick on, until pull away.
Really had it with these bloomin
Things.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.