what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I hate those spring **** things terrible to take off and put on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I'm finding... :censored:

Originally I was just trying to find out what size thread it is, as that would seem to be the most straightforward way of doing it, but if there's a 'proper' way, I generally prefer to do that if I can.

It doesn't help that it's really hot out and I'm trying to do fiddly little crap on the car. I'm not in a pleasant mood right now...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
You will never get it hand tight and flush cos off the rubber seal the only way is to use a tool and to help put a bit off oil on the rubber seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a text message to say the Laser tool is ready for me to collect from the other Halfords. Looking forward to finally getting it sorted - the proper tools make all the difference... Quite why Halfords couldn't just transfer the part from the other branch to my local one I don't know.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Finally sorted...

Get to Halfords and they've put the wrong part aside. Thankfully I'd already had a look and they had three of the tools on display.

Oil_Cup_Tool.jpeg

Get it outside and it turns out I don't have a socket to fit - all my sockets are 1/2" and this thing needs a 3/8" socket... Back into Halfords to buy an adapter...

Adapter.jpeg

Outside again and I decide to take off the top just to make sure the threads are clean. Tightened it up and it was totally smooth with no resistance. I don't know if I could have done it by hand - the extra leverage the socket gave me probably got it tight - but it's done and I can get on with my life now...

Thanks everyone for the help.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Cheers mate, got me scratching my head.

I did notice dried coolant streaks running down the out side of the reservoir today, I had replaced the cap itself a couple of weeks ago to rule that out but now I'm wondering if it might be the top of the reservoir might be the weak spot? There's been a small pool of coolant towards the right hand front of the car too before and after the new radiator (maybe the hose that joins the rad from the right?) I'l let the garage figure it out.. spent too much time looking myself :(

Reactions: bigT's lcr

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Cheers mate, got me scratching my head.

I did notice dried coolant streaks running down the out side of the reservoir today, I had replaced the cap itself a couple of weeks ago to rule that out but now I'm wondering if it might be the top of the reservoir might be the weak spot? There's been a small pool of coolant towards the right hand front of the car too before and after the new radiator (maybe the hose that joins the rad from the right?) I'l let the garage figure it out.. spent too much time looking myself :(
I had mine replaced by the garage...the housing was goosed & I needed it to be back on the road asap. Hope they can sort it out for you & give you some peace of mind. :)

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
I’ll kick myself if it’s just the expansion tank that’s gone as I could swap that myself... I took it out and it all seemed fine visibly and the hoses connected directly to it seemed good too.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.