what have you done to your car today ?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Not been on for a while, over the Xmas period the car has been on stands and unfortunately the interior has gone bad and I mean bad, pics don't do it justice, I thought when I got the car it smelled moldy and low and behold it really is, from the carpet upward.
So, car should be back up and running next payday lol, I'm going to strip it out for now but NOT cut anything out so I can maybe one day put a cupra r interior in it. May like the TDI stripped out feeling, gonna be different to the 1.8t I had, I'm not going to ruin the car stripping it out
I'll post some more pics of it tomorrow.
94dce2c85a5e088cc35678765f6dbbc5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Not been on for a while, over the Xmas period the car has been on stands and unfortunately the interior has gone bad and I mean bad, pics don't do it justice, I thought when I got the car it smelled moldy and low and behold it really is, from the carpet upward.
So, car should be back up and running next payday lol, I'm going to strip it out for now but NOT cut anything out so I can maybe one day put a cupra r interior in it. May like the TDI stripped out feeling, gonna be different to the 1.8t I had, I'm not going to ruin the car stripping it out
I'll post some more pics of it tomorrow.
94dce2c85a5e088cc35678765f6dbbc5.jpg

I've been thinking for a long time about stripping out my seats and putting different ones in. The foam on the driver's side 'bucket' had worn long before I got the car, and the rear centre seat belt is an MoT fail waiting to happen.

Are you looking at buying new seats, or getting some from a breaker's or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I've been thinking for a long time about stripping out my seats and putting different ones in. The foam on the driver's side 'bucket' had worn long before I got the car, and the rear centre seat belt is an MoT fail waiting to happen.

Are you looking at buying new seats, or getting some from a breaker's or something?

Probably just grab some from gumtree or eBay tbh. Can go from 60-500 for the nicest one, but I'm going to need everything, plastic I can wash with anti bacterial like detol. Roof lining is gone to, proper horror show.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Had leaky footwell years ago that got fixed, but its back. Had drivers footwell leak fixed...but hey ho once again it causes something else to stop working.

Anti theft light on drivers door doesnt flicker now. So does that mean alarm isnt on?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Had leaky footwell years ago that got fixed, but its back. Had drivers footwell leak fixed...but hey ho once again it causes something else to stop working.

Anti theft light on drivers door doesnt flicker now. So does that mean alarm isnt on?

It's on, well, probably.

Nine times out of ten it's simply that you haven't plugged the cable for the flashing LED back in. I've done it before and thought the same thing, but the alarm worked just fine.

When you're holding the door card against the skin, trying to plug in all these different connectors, while also trying to get the handle cable in place properly, it's easy to miss.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Probably just grab some from gumtree or eBay tbh. Can go from 60-500 for the nicest one, but I'm going to need everything, plastic I can wash with anti bacterial like detol. Roof lining is gone to, proper horror show.

I'm just trying to decide right now whether to take the driver's seat out and refurbish the padding, or buy a new set on eBay. I see a few of the black Cupra seats come up occasionally and they look nicer than my black and grey FR ones, but either way is a bit of a faff.

More pressing though is stopping the car smell like my old school changing room...

Reactions: Andrewwright

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I'm just trying to decide right now whether to take the driver's seat out and refurbish the padding, or buy a new set on eBay. I see a few of the black Cupra seats come up occasionally and they look nicer than my black and grey FR ones, but either way is a bit of a faff.

More pressing though is stopping the car smell like my old school changing room...

It will be the underlay that smell's. Horrible stuff and weight is unbelievable if wet.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It will be the underlay that smell's. Horrible stuff and weight is unbelievable if wet.

Tell me about it - when the rear went and I had six inches of water in the rear footwell, I pulled up the carpet and shoved a towel in there - even though the worst of the water was out, the towel still came out dripping wet.

It's the driver's mat that smells worst. Tried drying it on the parents' underfloor heating in the bathroom over Christmas.

They weren't impressed.

Reactions: Andrewwright

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Tell me about it - when the rear went and I had six inches of water in the rear footwell, I pulled up the carpet and shoved a towel in there - even though the worst of the water was out, the towel still came out dripping wet.

It's the driver's mat that smells worst. Tried drying it on the parents' underfloor heating in the bathroom over Christmas.

They weren't impressed.

I found if I just chopped out an inch of the seal on the frame of the door ON THE CAR I never had a leak again. Was a cheap car so was an even cheaper fix.
Going to get the car tonight ready for repair at the end of the month, needs some other stuff doing like cam/lifter work belts,pump ect before it's worth going anywhere. Got a guy called helder working on it then to get her back up and running. Some mite know of his Ibiza.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
What a sh*te day, broke my cup holder because it got stuck in, then when i pried it out the faceplate broke off and shot a tiny spring and random plastic pin at me.

Then my heaters abruptly started making a horrible flapping noise and vibrates the whole dash when blowers turned up full. Any one got any bright ideas? I use my heaters 24/7 when driving so now its like a noisy ice box lol.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Car failed its MoT on emissions and tyres today. Hopefully the emissions I'll have in hand by just going for a long drive over the weekend with some Millers in the car, but any thoughts on tyres?

I've got Avon ZV7s on there at the moment, and they've been fine, but started perishing pretty quickly - I live in Brighton and the sea air seems to bugger things up, while I also don't do that many miles anymore, so that probably explains a few things too - average of 2,000 miles a year.

I know everyone will have their own favourite tyre, but thought I'd throw it out there. I loved Pilot Sports, but they're too expensive for the kind of driving I do these days, and when I tried Pirellis they only lasted about 8,000 motorway miles.

How about Bridgestone Potenzas?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Anyone got any tips on how to check the heater fan via the pollen filter? I got my filter out but couldnt figure out the rest, the filter housing seems to be screwed in from the underside. Wheel arch?

Either that or i have to take the dash off :cry:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Car failed its MoT on emissions and tyres today. Hopefully the emissions I'll have in hand by just going for a long drive over the weekend with some Millers in the car, but any thoughts on tyres?

I've got Avon ZV7s on there at the moment, and they've been fine, but started perishing pretty quickly - I live in Brighton and the sea air seems to bugger things up, while I also don't do that many miles anymore, so that probably explains a few things too - average of 2,000 miles a year.

I know everyone will have their own favourite tyre, but thought I'd throw it out there. I loved Pilot Sports, but they're too expensive for the kind of driving I do these days, and when I tried Pirellis they only lasted about 8,000 motorway miles.

How about Bridgestone Potenzas?

Just bought pilot sport 4’s from blackcircles, £40 discount code online so £332 fitted

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I found if I just chopped out an inch of the seal on the frame of the door ON THE CAR I never had a leak again. Was a cheap car so was an even cheaper fix.

Tell me your secrets, master.

Did both door card seals on the driver's side, water now coming through the passenger rear. It's like you fix over leak and another one starts.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Tell me your secrets, master.

Did both door card seals on the driver's side, water now coming through the passenger rear. It's like you fix over leak and another one starts.

I'll take some pics tomorrow as I'll be doing it to this Leon too. Got it back home and wow....2 inch of water in the rear pass foot well. Door seals are bone dry on pass side, driver side wet....so must be coming through the dash/pollen filter route. Stripping it down tomorrow so I'll take some pics.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members