What head units are there?

JonnyCross

Hello there i have a leon copa 1.6 and i want to change the head unit as i would like sat nav buit in, however there is already bluetooth in my car and steering whell controls so i need a head unit that doesnt interfer with them. I know about the RNS-510 but what other head units could i buy?

Thanks, Jonny

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
Hi Jonny

Here is a link to fitting the RNS 315, this is the current unit that is fitted in the Leon Copa.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/rns315-GPS-FAQ-VW.htm

A lot of stuff on retrofitting but be aware this is a USA site and some settings maybe different and the fact their reference to VW’s but it’s the same for the Leon AFAIK apart from the US having Sat radio in instead of DAB radio found on the European units.

My Leon SE Copa came with this unit as standard so I can’t give any guidance on buying and installing this unit but there is a lot of stuff about that says if buy one from the likes of E-Bay make sure it has got the maps unlocking codes or you end up with a expensive paper weight.

Chris

JonnyCross

Thanks for the help guys, i like the look of the rns 315, however i would like to have a look at other makes of radios that will work with the car such as the pioneer.

JonnyCross

yea i have been looking at them, they are very impressive i have to say, although i am wondering would it be possible to get a head unit for 350-400 tops, i know that i should avoid them cheap chiense models as they turn out to be a nightmare, however i really dont want to spend over 400 if i can manage to get a cheaper headunit.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
im sure i didnt dream this but im sure i have seen an Evo or Scoobie before with a Kenwood stereo that could connect to the car and show digital gauges for like boost etc

any one else seen these and know what im on about. if so what is it as i really want one lol

lee

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
im sure i didnt dream this but im sure i have seen an Evo or Scoobie before with a Kenwood stereo that could connect to the car and show digital gauges for like boost etc

any one else seen these and know what im on about. if so what is it as i really want one lol

lee

YES!
my mate in his Evo Tommy Mack has one fitted! Boost, G-Forge, Compass and Speed.

its pretty impressive tbh! i think ill send him a txt now and ask for the model number.

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
he is sure its a kenwood dnx7100 . . .

when i was playing with it on a road trip few years ago, it was bloody good!

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
yea i have been looking at them, they are very impressive i have to say, although i am wondering would it be possible to get a head unit for 350-400 tops, i know that i should avoid them cheap chiense models as they turn out to be a nightmare, however i really dont want to spend over 400 if i can manage to get a cheaper headunit.

Don't discount the Chinese units, mines brilliant and has everything I need on it for far less than the other units. Loads of people on the VW forum have them

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

JonnyCross

Don't discount the Chinese units, mines brilliant and has everything I need on it for far less than the other units. Loads of people on the VW forum have them

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Could you show me a link to your unit? does it still allow the use of the steering wheel controls and the factory bluetooth?

JonnyCross

ok ive been thinking more and more about this and i think i will put the money into a good RNS system as i think it is the best option but what is the difference between the rns 310 and the rns 315?

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
ok ive been thinking more and more about this and i think i will put the money into a good RNS system as i think it is the best option but what is the difference between the rns 310 and the rns 315?

Must be honest and say I know nothing about the RNS 310 but I think it runs the nav maps from a CD in the CD drive whereas the 315 has the maps (Western Europe) built in. I maybe wrong though.:p

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for the link, i am very interested in this item, oes the steering wheel controls still work with it? also i have a usb and aux input in ther centre console infront of the gear stick, will they still work or not?

thanks, jonny

The volume, track skip and mute buttons all work. Don't think the USB and auxiliary work as the unit has its own. My USB is now in the glove box. I don't use the aux so didn't bother running that anywhere

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
the RNS look 10 x better than any other aftermarket unit!
but are they just as fun as some of them? thats my issue.

i do want a good bluetooth and satnav system!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.