what is a secondary air systym blanking plate?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
blanks off the sai mate, sai pumps warm air over the cat on start up to get to temperature quicklt to control emissions.

not 100%needed, blanking plate is there to ensure you dont get a light when you remove the sai. remove for weight saving and less load on alternator etc.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I bought one of these and it didn't fit where exactly is it supposed to go? are you supposed to remove all the gubbins right back to the block? and then use the blanking plate.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I bought one of these and it didn't fit where exactly is it supposed to go? are you supposed to remove all the gubbins right back to the block? and then use the blanking plate.

Yes.

I bought one to but as I removed it I noticed I could fix it so just put pump back together and re fitted it :)

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Quick question. If i will unplug secondary air pump and lets say i will try to repair it but in the mean time i will have to use the car. Do you think its safe to drive around with that pump unplugged for some time. Im asking cause i have a day off and i wish to repair that finally But i know that i will be called today at some point and i will have to go for a short drive.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
It will bring the EML light on, can't see where it would do to much harm tho?

It doesn't take long to fix, hardest part is unbolting the pump.

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
yeah heard of this... was just asking to see if it had owt to do with my ongoing friggin whining noise problem.

I to have a whinning noise thats doing my head in. It only happens when coasting and not on the fast pedel. Had it in at VW today and they couldnt find anything wrong, though they did pick up that my front tyres are wearing on the inside?

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
It will bring the EML light on, can't see where it would do to much harm tho?

It doesn't take long to fix, hardest part is unbolting the pump.

Yes its quite a hard part :D. But finally i managed to get the pump out. I just pushed out rivets with a specialized tool (fork).

Well i have to do a trip now anyway cause i realized i dont have bolts of this size.

:clap:

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough

Car was running fine without the pump. No EML light either.

Job done for today. Tomorrow im going to fit it as i'm running out of time :s

UPDATE:

All done. Pump back in car.

FINALLY no more Diesel/Tractor sound when i start my car in the morning ! :D <3

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.