What is the whitest/brightest fog light bulb?

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Hey there

I have 6000K HIDs in my projector lenses and I want fog lights that are white. I don't care about the light output since to me fog lights are pretty useless anyway and I rarely ever activate them, however I would like it to be like the Benz or Octavia (white on white).

I have Osram Nightbreaker Plus fog light bulbs at the moment but they are very yellow, although their light output is actually pretty strong which is what it was all about anyway.

There is one called Osram Cool Blue Intense which claims it is 4750K but I cannot test it before I buy it and I don't want to waste money.

Any body have any ideas? There are MTEC ones on hids-direct but I am not too sure about them, especially since shipping alone will cost me 10 GBP so I want to be absolutely certain before I make an order.

The bulb type is HB4/9006.

Thank you very much

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I have heard of "off-road" bulbs that are usually higher than 55W and are not road legal. I don't care if they are not road-legal, though, since they are just fog lights and most probably will not impair anyone's vision; if they do, however, I'll definitely remove them as I did with my HIDs when I had them in the halogen reflectors for a while.

I am looking for bright white, though, and not bluish.

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I found this

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/HB4-9006-Xenon-Extreme-White-bulbs-pair.html

It claims to output 4500 Kelvin which is pretty outstanding if it is actually true. 11 Euros is also a very good price but I'll still have to pay 10 for shipping!!

Osram Cool Blue Intense is available locally for 21 Euros and claims to output 4050 Kelvin.. do you think there's a big difference between 4050 and 4500? Of course I am not even sure if the latter bulbs do output 4500.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
5a7e0654.jpg

I run the mech 4750k ones from hid direct, right hand side is oem

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
The normal 55 watt ones, I wanted a match to the xenons that's why I didn't go led

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
There's a single screw that you take out of the plastic trim, then unclip the trim (just give it a tug), then you rotate the lens and bobs your uncle.

I have a set of led bulbs but they throw an error. Was gonna stick resistors on but a mate had a bad experience with them on a Beemer - they melted through the bumper plastics!!!

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
There's a single screw that you take out of the plastic trim, then unclip the trim (just give it a tug), then you rotate the lens and bobs your uncle.

I have a set of led bulbs but they throw an error. Was gonna stick resistors on but a mate had a bad experience with them on a Beemer - they melted through the bumper plastics!!!

What a daft idea having a warning bulb for a fog light ! What error comes up, does it actually say ' check fog light ' or something along the lines of that ?

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Glad you told me before I attempted to buy them. They seemed like a nice idea since I had LED light for the sidelights from hids-direct and they were really bright and matched my 6000K HIDs perfectly. I guess the 4750K fog lights are my best bet.

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I have ordered the LED ones, going picking them up later. I'm not really bothered about the warning bulb and i'm pretty sure I can turn it off in Vagcom anyway

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Hard to really tell in pictures but surely they are better then the OEM one. so what is your opinion in reality, same as OEM xenon or still different?

They are a lot whiter and make the xenons perfectly but the light output is not as good as the standard bulbs

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.