What is this?

eden4

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 2001 Y reg Toledo 1.9TDi SE and, whilst having a nose around the engine bay, have put my finger through, what looks like, a small plastic, frosted?, window at the base of the windscreen just under the centred wiper arm. It's VERY brittle, I barely touched it, which is why I think it was originally frosted as one end still looks frosted, and quite hard, and the part I put my finger through is more white and brittle. My question is, what is this, and its importance and if and how I can fix it? I did take a picture, but cannot seem to upload it into this thread!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Probably would have been a matter of time that this would have happened anyway, but the car is in really good condition and I'm gutted that I've done this within a week!

Cheers!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It was originally transparent, and covers the location where the chassis number is stamped into the metal. If you clear away the rest of the frosted plastic you should be able to see the number. Check that it matches the one on your documentation.

You now have a crack in the water collection tray, which collects water from the windscreen and bonnet and channels it to either side of the engine bay where it drains down tubes to the underside. You want to repair that tray, otherwise water will get though to where the ECU sits, which is not a good idea.

Duct tape should do it, or a good-quality heavy duty transparent tape which will let you still see the chassis number.

eden4

Cheers!

Thought it was something like that, though I cannot see any number/text underneath it? Probably needs a clean! As you said, the reason I asked is because I'm very wary of water getting into it, but I didn't want to potentially screw things up anymore than I already have by covering it up with anything. Wanted to clarify what it was first! Do you think/know if this is a part that can be replaced or if the complete tray would have to be replaced? Though I'm happy to do the tape option if not!

Thanks again Muttley!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I doubt if the window can be replaced,it seems to be bonded into the cowl panel/gutter/rain tray bit, which gets brittle with age in any case. You need to get the wiper arms off in order to get the rain tray moulding off, and indeed to get at the ECU.

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
lol I thought I was the only one stupid enough to break that bit...had exterior duct tape on it since I broke it...going to fix it with some clear perspex over the top when I get time.

eden4

Cool, at least I'm not the only one! You would have thought that they would have used a better plastic composite! Or maybe pyrex lol! I have used some vinyl from the signage place I work at for now, it should last, but I had thought the same as you, tolly, and look to replacing it with a thin piece of clear perspex, sticking/sealing it with silican sealant. Oh and by the way, the VIN is stamped in the metal underneath it was just filthy under there!

Thanks again for all your help on this, this site is brilliant, truly grateful!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.