What made you buy your Cupra?

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I'm about to buy my second Cupra any week now and I'm a bit curious to why people here decided on a Seat Leon Cupra?
Please state what Cupra you have, year, power and fwd/4wd.

Im moving from a 2017 M140 with like 40000miles on the odo to a new 7-speed 4wd Cupra ST.
The main reasons to the move is the excellent package/performance for the price.
I'm selling the Beemer and will have some change left after buying the Cupra and now i dont need 1 car for summers and 1 for winters :) :seatgod:

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
Had the GTI PP previously with the custom software, was a fun and fast car. But as i test drive my 4drive Cupra i was sold for the raw grip and launches!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Cheap performance car! Started with a Cupra 180 in 2002, then a brand new Cupra R 225 in 2004, then a Cupra R 265 in 2013 then a Cupra 280 in 2015. Didn’t have the 280 long though - looked into ordering a brand new Focus RS - didn’t like package though (I was going to be buying blind as they hadn’t started building them and hated the low rent interior from the ST and the exorbitant price!) so bought a Golf R instead - much cheaper than the RS and a better car imo - and a lot more reliable too!
85f074d19a914b064d853328ad1c96b0.jpg
41131e8362d506883471023c75cb1bd7.jpg
fb118ad25353e819843aa6ee6722763d.jpg
8e8b9b2b7b4b2280d6a4d232babe7e20.jpg
9ef554de6424ba54882ea33e147cf2f2.jpg
8e0247e958024e388f2cd1b4553f63a4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

Year - 2014
Model - Cupra 280 with all the goodies except bucket seats
Power - Currently around 500 bhp
Delivery - Front Wheel Drive

Why - It was great fun stock, more fun stage 1 and as much as I am every going to want (power wise) stage 3
These cars are classic sleepers and even after 3 years of ownership I still smile every time I drive it plus you can get sensible fuel consumption when run as a family car and proper fun when on the track.

Personally I prefer FWD but my location and millage support that, the cars are not 0 - 60 orientated much more 30 - 130 but that's my view / usage.

Last comment on why - There is so much stuff available to build a reliable but very individual motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I was set to update our GT86 to the new model and saw an article on SEAT returning to NZ, one of the first models was the Cupra 300.
Initially I though it would be far too expensive, as so much is down here. A bit later I saw the proposed price, under $NZ60K. So I did some research while waiting for the Toyota guy to get back to me with a trade in figure (he never did, bye bye Toyota), and organised flights to Auckland to test drive one the day after they were released to the press, ordered it the same day. It's also telling how differently dealers treat you when you buy their first car sold.

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
The mix of fun and economy sold me. I work week on week off. my week on is 35 miles each way to work. The best I've seen mpg on a work run is 44.2mpg and normally sits about 36-37 mpg. Then my week off is when she sits in cupra mode for the winding Yorkshire roads. Since the stage one she never fails to make me smile.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Picking up my Cupra 290 DSG Black this weekend coming from a saloon 2009 BMW 335i

Wanted something a bit smaller, cheaper to run and that didn't need the warranty like my BMW did.

Was looking at Focus ST but really wanted an auto due to traffic, so went to see a Cupra and decided I wanted one. Plus the wife liked the more upright position and kit that the Cupra has over the older BMW.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KR15

Nov 29, 2018
I've just come from an M140i. Main reason to change was cost. I wanted to reduce my monthly outgoings ahead of the next mortgage and I picked up a Cupra 290 EZ DSG (fwd) on a bargain lease deal. I'm saving £150 across monthly payments, insurance and VED and that's before I would have needed to start forking out for a warranty on the 140 in a few months time.

Another reason for the switch was the 140 is pretty crap as a family car as space in the back is terrible (due to RWD stuff) and we've really struggled with rear facing car seats in the back. The Cupra is much better for rear space and has a bigger boot so it's comfier all round (especially with better dampers).

I'd never considered a SEAT in the past but I have to say, after 12 days of "ownership" (it's really the lease co's :) )I'm really impressed. I can't think of anything that would be this good, with this kind of power for the price I'm paying. List price is probably a different matter but I doubt many people are paying that.

Reactions: chrisjgill

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I've just come from an M140i. Main reason to change was cost. I wanted to reduce my monthly outgoings ahead of the next mortgage and I picked up a Cupra 290 EZ DSG (fwd) on a bargain lease deal. I'm saving £150 across monthly payments, insurance and VED and that's before I would have needed to start forking out for a warranty on the 140 in a few months time.

Another reason for the switch was the 140 is pretty crap as a family car as space in the back is terrible (due to RWD stuff) and we've really struggled with rear facing car seats in the back. The Cupra is much better for rear space and has a bigger boot so it's comfier all round (especially with better dampers).

I'd never considered a SEAT in the past but I have to say, after 12 days of "ownership" (it's really the lease co's :) )I'm really impressed. I can't think of anything that would be this good, with this kind of power for the price I'm paying. List price is probably a different matter but I doubt many people are paying that.
Completly agree!

I will have about 2000euro left from selling my 2year old M140 and picking up a brand new Cupra ST 300 4wd...
Insane value and kit for the money

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Bought it as needed an estate and wanted a fast car that wasn’t an Audi or out of warranty. I’d been threatening to buy a Cupra since the Mk1 225 first came out.

The S3 was my fav looking but the boot wasn’t big enough, the Estate Golf R looks absolute *****, it’s not as quick as the Cupra and I think the interior is dull but not in a good Porsche way. Not sure why anyone would buy a Golf R over a Cupra after driving both. Not worth the premium. The pre face lift Octavia was actually what I nearly bought, but after delays managed to bag a fully spec’d 280 that was 35k new for 21k with 9k miles on the clock. Later discovered it was because the newer cars were all coming at 0% with better MIB2 etc.

Only reason I changed to my second as always wanted the bucket seats and BBK, as well as the updated sat nav etc.

Carbon was stupid money but managed to get 7k knocked off it by being proactive. My initial 3 month wait also changed into 1 month so happy days.

Cupra Russ

Dec 7, 2018
Sold my M135i. Had lots of Golfs and an S3 before. I'm a bit of a badge snob but I know the Cupra's are great cars and the lease deal I found plus needing to keep costs down for a couple of years it was a no brainer.

I love it, but, sadly as I find with so many modern cars these days, 'meh' it's ok, goes quickly, stops and handles well but I really miss the rawness of older cars. My mk5 GTI was the perfect blend.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Bangs per buck basically, but it has to be suitable for the wife's daily commute. ( To give you and idea, she took one look at previous Civic type R and said lots of rude words. And she WILL NOT HAVE A FORD! ) started with a 1.6 MK1, then MK2 reference sport 1.4 , MK2 FR 211, Cupra R 265, Mk3 280, MK3 290 and current 300.

Riivo77

Nov 1, 2018
Fun*practicality*value for money = ∞
Haven't had so much fun since I got my license ~20 years ago.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Was looking to get a used RS3 but it is more money than a new fully loaded ST 4drive and when U could order it with carbon pack it was a easy choice. And my fully loaded Copra is 4000€ less than the starting price for a Golf R

silles

May 4, 2017
once we got a MK3 Seat Leon in Ireland as a rental car and I immediately liked it.
Best handling cheap rent car I ever had.

Than bought a 1.4 FR but I wanted more poweeerrrr so part exchanged it to a new 2018 Cupra 300 FWD.
- good looking, practical, affordable performance car.

Orguss

Jul 3, 2017
Hampshire
After 4 years of RWD fun in a GT86 my daughter was born so practicality became a priority.
I've always loved the idea of an understated fast estate and after a search it was obvious an RS4 was out of price range and that the Golf R's look too boring so the Cupra 4drive was the way to go.

I wanted AWD as, firstly i'd not owned an AWD vehicle and secondly after running the 86 for a while every time i jumped into the wifes Polo GTi i just didn't like the way FWD cars launch/put there power down.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Slightly cheating as I didn't "buy" it, but I lease it mostly because it's cheap as chips. Two years rental on a brand new car that has 300hp - £6,600. You try and buy a new car and run it for 2 years and only take a £6,600 hit on depreciation - let alone one with that performance. It ain't going to happen! The lease deals SEAT have been doing for a while on these is incredible.

As a plus, it's also a pretty good car! I've got the ST so it's also very practical, and in comfort mode your passengers are unlikely to complain too much.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
My 2014 5dr 280 DSG is my first Cupra. I've always like SEAT's, I've had 3 Ibiza's in the past that never let me down. I've also always been a hot hatch fan. Back in the max power days I was always more interested in the 306 GTi 6's than the Toyota Supra's, couldn't tell you why really, maybe it's just the package of practicality and power.

Once I had moved house and my commute reduced to 4 miles it was my time to get rid of the diesels and get a hot hatch. I knew I wanted an automatic so it was narrowed down to a Golf R, GTi or a Cupra, not a massive fan of S3's.

I did some research and watched a bit of YouTube, mainly the AutoCar one against the Golf R and the Carfection/ Xcar one with Alex Goy in the yellow launch model and that was me convinced.

I wanted ACC, Pano roof and Seat Sound but when my current car came up on Autotrader I went for it due to it's appealing price and sacrificed pano roof and Seat Sound. I actually only looked on autotrader that day as my current s##tbox diesel A4 window failed to open at a driv-thru! so I took my mcnuggets (other nuggets are available) drove down to Dover seafront and spent my lunch break on autotrader and the phone to the dealer.

1 week later I got on a train up north to Warrington to collect my car and I've not looked back since... had the occasional flirting thought about an ST 4drive however!

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
For me it was the looks and the performance in a great value package. Over the VW/Audio equivalents I preferred teh Leon styling and the equipment level was much better for the money. Had a 2016 Cupra 290 Black Edition. Loved every minute of ownership and ONLY recently let it go because I just needed to scratch the RWD and straight 6 itch, so got myself a new BMW M140i Shadow Edition with a good spec of extras and a cracking PCP deal (£20 less than the cupra was per month). Can see me needing an Estate in a few years time, so will probably look at the Leon again.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.