What made you smile today?

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
My son came home yesterday and was telling how his School Work Experience had started at our local Seat Dealer.

He’s worked on three cars, changed oil, blown tyres up and taken them out for a post service test drive (with a full mechanic driving and doing the service work).

Chuffed to see him so happy with what’s he’s done...mind you the thing that made me smile the most was the fact that he said none of the mechanics could say a sentence without swearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Today’s story is better. He has had to help change 32 tyres off customers cars and he is complaining that his back is broken and he’s also deaf....

I think he prefers school to hard work as he’s said he doesn’t want me to wake him up early tomorrow and he thinks he will throw a sicky lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think he prefers school to hard work as he’s said he doesn’t want me to wake him up early tomorrow and he thinks he will throw a sicky lol

You think they'd notice if I turned up instead and pretended to be him?

Reactions: BadBoy03

colsy

Mar 15, 2012
Dover
I watched a couple of large Buzzards over head yesterday ,they were flying round and round,not giving a toss..as a few seagulls were having a go at them and trying to move them on.

Reactions: BadBoy03

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Getting pulled by plod last night leaving work, they were doing speed checks over the A130 , however the road they use is actually private. I asked our Estate Manager this morning and she said they have to ask permission as they are entering an active works site by that road.
No points fine/for me !!
Fingers crossed! :) I was followed last week down a steep hill..20mph zone. Unfortunately I have an intermittent speedo so I was warming those brakes. The sign flashed up (so I guessed I was over)..anyway cops caused it to flash too so I guess I got away with that! :doh:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Fingers crossed! :) I was followed last week down a steep hill..20mph zone. Unfortunately I have an intermittent speedo so I was warming those brakes. The sign flashed up (so I guessed I was over)..anyway cops caused it to flash too so I guess I got away with that! :doh:
I am sure I read that plod do not enforce the 20 mph limit, as the roads that have that are supposed to be self regulating (speed humps, narrow lanes etc) Also roads that got changed from 30 to 20 that had a camera on do not have the cam limit lowered as again 20 mph roads can't have camera enforcement, so they are still set to catch you doing over 30. (have tested this myself on nearby road, driving MIL's car)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I am sure I read that plod do not enforce the 20 mph limit, as the roads that have that are supposed to be self regulating (speed humps, narrow lanes etc) Also roads that got changed from 30 to 20 that had a camera on do not have the cam limit lowered as again 20 mph roads can't have camera enforcement, so they are still set to catch you doing over 30. (have tested this myself on nearby road, driving MIL's car)

I "believe" that's true for a lot of areas. But recently I went to Bristol and they put camera vans on all of the 20mph zones. Luckily I was lost and driving exceptionally slow at the time, but apparently they are enforcing them and send the vans out in force every morning to catch people out.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/fury-thousands-more-drivers-caught-2734251

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Today’s story from my son is that he has been left to do two services all by himself (obviously everything was checked to make sure there will be no problems for the owners )

He has explained to me in detail how to set the car lift up and how to actually use the lift. Removal of sump plug and collection of oil, replacement of oil filter, measuring of oil and fitting new sump plug.

Filled washer bottles, Battery Test, Check Track Rod Ends, Visual checks of underside, Tyre depth checks, Tyre pressure and a few other things.

I think he’s going to miss his time there and he’s even thinking of asking if he can do a few weeks extra experience work during the summer holidays.

Made me smile big time, well proud of him and was thinking of asking him to service my CUPRA

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
If he does also ask for him to remove the brake pads and clean them and carriers re grease them and sliders rebuild and add copper grease to hubs and wheel nuts

I’m so sick off customer cars coming in for a service after years off main dealer services and having to back the hand brake cables off and clean all the brake shoes and adjust them re check hand brake oh and take a big rubber hammer to each wheel as they have rusted onto the hub so won’t just pull off or even drop off if not held when removing the last wheel nut
Had two new customers in today both main dealer service for 5 years first one at ours so the big hammer came out to get the wheels off and yes left a wheel nut in lose so the alloy did not fall to the floor

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
If he does also ask for him to remove the brake pads and clean them and carriers re grease them and sliders rebuild and add copper grease to hubs and wheel nuts

I’m so sick off customer cars coming in for a service after years off main dealer services and having to back the hand brake cables off and clean all the brake shoes and adjust them re check hand brake oh and take a big rubber hammer to each wheel as they have rusted onto the hub so won’t just pull off or even drop off if not held when removing the last wheel nut
Had two new customers in today both main dealer service for 5 years first one at ours so the big hammer came out to get the wheels off and yes left a wheel nut in lose so the alloy did not fall to the floor

He has said he hates Drum Brakes but I’d be happy to send him your way for a couple of weeks to get some experience

Reactions: Yellow fr

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Last day with my son at our local SEAT dealers. He’s been servicing an Alhambra an Ateca and a Leon. Think he’s found his niche in life.

He got a good reference from the Service Manager for his future CV and ended up with a few quid in his pocket too.

Big smile here knowing he’s done so well and has now acquired a car interest. May even see him at the Doncaster meet.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Had to do a puncher repair on a mini today got init found the start switch pushed it up no sound from the engine so pushed it down still no sound from the engine did both again looked for somewhere to put the key but could not find anywhere did the switch again and tried to put it in gear and would not move moved the switch up and tried again and went into gear and moved away with no sound from the engine as it was on electrical power duh

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
He got a good reference from the Service Manager for his future CV and ended up with a few quid in his pocket too.

Big smile here knowing he’s done so well and has now acquired a car interest. May even see him at the Doncaster meet.

That's ace he's found summat he's interested in. Also nice they gave him some $$$. Not to go back to "in the day", but when you did work experience for free, it was a nice surprise / reward to get summat out of it. These days companies just don't bother.

moved the switch up and tried again and went into gear and moved away with no sound from the engine as it was on electrical power duh

:roflmao:. My diesel spark plugs not looking so funny now eh :harhar:

Reactions: Maypack
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.