What modifications does my car have?

Pure:Torque

Feb 5, 2017
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. How the **** are we supposed to answer that? Aaaand I'd probably think the same. Let me try and explain.

I'm an absolute car mod "noob". Besides remapping a focus I had a year or two ago, I've never modded any car I've owned. I recently bought a Leon mk2 fr tfsi 2.0 from my uncle. It was my cousins old car, who for one reason or another is no longer in the picture. 80k miles on the clock and only £500. I know what you're thinking. There's things wrong with that car at that price. And I'm pretty sure you're right. The heater fans Dont work. The aftermarket sat navigation/stereo has suddenly stopped working (won't turn on - it did a few days ago, then stopped playing sound, now won't switch on at all). The engine management light is showing, sometimes it flashes like mad, sometimes it's solid, occasionally it's not there at all. The aftermarket exhaust on the car rattles/vibrates like mad and occasionally gives out a loud "pop". My uncle seems to think the eml is down to the exhaust but wasn't sure. That's what I've picked up so far after owning the car for a few days.

I do understand that the best thing I could do is use vagcom to pick up the fault codes, however, i have a limited amount of £ for repairs at the moment and can't justify spending £300 on the cable which could be used to fix the issues rather than just diagnose them. Anyhow, I'm kind of digressing from the point of the thread. The car is heavily modified. It has a large dual tip aftermarket exhaust, which I have no frigging idea what exhaust it is. It has also been remapped. Again, what stage of remap, I've no idea. I also "believe " it has an upgraded coil back (from what I've been told as I sent a picture of under the bonnet to a friend). From the sound of the engine when I lift off the accelarator I think it might have a dump valve upgrade, there 's a "hiss". Again, I'm showing my very limited knowledge here. It's either that or another problem with the car.

From what I do know, it has an ITG induction kit. Only reason I know that...it says ITG on the large foam air filter. Haha. That's about as much as I know. If I upload an under bonnet picture, and a pic of the exhaust, what's the chances of any of you lads being able to say, yeah that's the xxxx exhaust system etc?

Lastly, I'm gonna be cheeky now. Is anyone here from the barnsley area with a vag com? Lol. Cheers for reading my essay!

Feb 5, 2017
Oh and BTW...my uncle knew there was something wrong with the car. He didn't have a clue what, but I'd just point out the price was more to do with him wanting rid of the car, not the state of it.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
If you don't know anything about the car yourself and you have limited money how are you going to fix anything on it?

Take it to a garage that do them free health checks and see what they say! :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
You don't need to spend all that cash on vagcom/vcds if the faults are engine related. Get yourself a cheap OBD2 scanner from ebay for £15. That's enough to read and clear engine related fault codes and will give you a idea of the exhaust problem etc etc

Feb 5, 2017
If you don't know anything about the car yourself and you have limited money how are you going to fix anything on it?

Take it to a garage that do them free health checks and see what they say! :)

Hi mate, thanks for your reply.

When I say I have limited funds, I kinda mean I have a budget that I'm prepared to pay someone else to do the work for me, haha. But £300 is a large chunk of my budget that I'd rather not spend on diagnostics. As for free health checks, I'd actually assumed (having read other posts) that garages charged crazy money for running diagnostic equipment on your car, looks like I was wrong! Again, you'll have to forgive me, I'm trying to pick things up quickly from this forum by reading posts and asking questions, haha.

Feb 5, 2017
You don't need to spend all that cash on vagcom/vcds if the faults are engine related. Get yourself a cheap OBD2 scanner from ebay for £15. That's enough to read and clear engine related fault codes and will give you a idea of the exhaust problem etc etc

I'd actually looked at those and considered getting one, however I'd read horror stories about people bricking their ecu through using cheap readers. I assume people are referring to the cheap VAGcom cables as being dangerous, rather than the OBD2 scanners?

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
hi mate, funny you've said you're from barnsley cos i was going to ask where you are haha!! speak to Chris Bellman he is in rotherham and can plug it into VCDS/vagcom for you andtell you all the codes! where in barnsley are you btw i'll keep an eye out for you! :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I'd actually looked at those and considered getting one, however I'd read horror stories about people bricking their ecu through using cheap readers. I assume people are referring to the cheap VAGcom cables as being dangerous, rather than the OBD2 scanners?

Yeah i expect they were on about the ebay vag cables. The obd2 scanners are fine, i've never heard of one bricking a ecu. There are some sellers on ebay who have sold 1000's of them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D900-Univ...699147?hash=item33ae3f0a8b:g:cnwAAOSw44BYRTeG

From the looks of the offer above, you might not need one anyway. :) Vcds/vagcom scan would be the best as it picks up faults from every system in the car.

Last edited:

Feb 5, 2017
hi mate, funny you've said you're from barnsley cos i was going to ask where you are haha!! speak to Chris Bellman he is in rotherham and can plug it into VCDS/vagcom for you andtell you all the codes! where in barnsley are you btw i'll keep an eye out for you! :)

Hey buddy thanks for the reply. I'm from the Darfield / Wombwell area of Barnsley, it's a red 56 plate with a loud/vibrating exhaust, you can't miss me haha! It's been debadged but I've just ordered a fully black fr badge for the back and red/black grille badge if that makes spotting me any easier haha! I take it your from town too? If so, where abouts mate?

I'll definitely Google this Chris bell man I reckon it's my best course of action, thanks for the heads up.

And thanks Matty for your response too, I still think I owt to get something cheap of my own even after getting it scanned on vag com, just for future reference.

The eml I mentioned in my first post. On a cold start the exhaust is at its worst. Makes the car very stuttery for a good 5 mins. It's at this point the eml is flashing like mad. Once warmed up the stutter disappears but the eml stays on solid. I have the funds to replace the exhaust I reckon, although I hope it's not that serious.

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
Hey buddy thanks for the reply. I'm from the Darfield / Wombwell area of Barnsley, it's a red 56 plate with a loud/vibrating exhaust, you can't miss me haha! It's been debadged but I've just ordered a fully black fr badge for the back and red/black grille badge if that makes spotting me any easier haha! I take it your from town too? If so, where abouts mate?

I'll definitely Google this Chris bell man I reckon it's my best course of action, thanks for the heads up.

And thanks Matty for your response too, I still think I owt to get something cheap of my own even after getting it scanned on vag com, just for future reference.

The eml I mentioned in my first post. On a cold start the exhaust is at its worst. Makes the car very stuttery for a good 5 mins. It's at this point the eml is flashing like mad. Once warmed up the stutter disappears but the eml stays on solid. I have the funds to replace the exhaust I reckon, although I hope it's not that serious.

i tried searching the net but couldnt find anything :( i know he's on facebook though!

ye i'm localish i live in royston but pass through wombwell everyday on my way to work! i'll keep an eye out for you though :thumbup:

Feb 5, 2017
i tried searching the net but couldnt find anything :( i know he's on facebook though!

ye i'm localish i live in royston but pass through wombwell everyday on my way to work! i'll keep an eye out for you though :thumbup:

Ah cheers mate! I've just tried searching on facebook without any joy, few Chris Bellman's came up but not sure if they're the right ones. If you manage to find a link to his profile I'd appreciate it! :)

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I bought a cheap OBD2 scanner for my car as i had the EML light come one.

Scanned it had a fault code up with the evap system and cleared it (had it before as well about 4-5 months ago) and its been fine since.

They are worth getting.

The local garage charges £25 to scan cars and the OBD2 reader was only £35 :).

Its worth it and u cant f*ck your car up clearing codes. If its a bad problem the code will just come straight back.

GL :)

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
Ah cheers mate! I've just tried searching on facebook without any joy, few Chris Bellman's came up but not sure if they're the right ones. If you manage to find a link to his profile I'd appreciate it! :)

i'm sure his profile picture is of a Mr Tickle :roflmao: just look for one in rotherham, i know he's on a few pages like sheff dubs etc if you're on them? cant get on facebook through works computer thats only reason i haven't a link [:@]

Feb 5, 2017
I bought a cheap OBD2 scanner for my car as i had the EML light come one.

Scanned it had a fault code up with the evap system and cleared it (had it before as well about 4-5 months ago) and its been fine since.

They are worth getting.

The local garage charges £25 to scan cars and the OBD2 reader was only £35 :).

Its worth it and u cant f*ck your car up clearing codes. If its a bad problem the code will just come straight back.

GL :)

Thanks for your reply buddy, gonna get myself to Halfords tomorrow and get one of these :)

Feb 5, 2017
i'm sure his profile picture is of a Mr Tickle :roflmao: just look for one in rotherham, i know he's on a few pages like sheff dubs etc if you're on them? cant get on facebook through works computer thats only reason i haven't a link [:@]

Cheers Lewis, think I found him! :D

Feb 5, 2017
Just bringing this thread back from the dead, didn't want to start a new thread but maybe I should?

I bought an odb2 scanner and scanned the car. It showed as detecting one code. Yet when I viewed the codes, I saw two. They are as follows.

P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire detected
P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1

Now I understand what the cylinder misfire means and I've got the car booked in on Saturday. As for the catalyst code. Could this be caused by the misfire? Is this a worrying code? The car is decat BTW.

And also, if the turbo in the car is unhealthy, or anything wrong with it, would I get any codes for this? I'm always paranoid about turbos as I've had them go on me before.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

dMack14

Nov 26, 2016
West Lothian, Scotland
The catalyst code is telling you the catalytic converter isn't working correctly, which we know because it isn't there. There's sensors before and after the cat to measure emissions and the second one will be picking up a higher than usual level because the cat isn't there. That's all mate. Decat could also be the reason for your exhaust popping depending on how high you're revving it and what kind of exhaust is on it too. Would definitely get the misfire looked at though!

As for a turbo you'd probably hear it start to whistle/whine before it dies. Not likely to bring any codes til it goes pop though haha.

Feb 5, 2017
Hey dmack thanks for the reply. Gonna have to be less paranoid about the turbo I think haha.

Had the plugs replaced today which has fixed the misfire. The car drives like a dream again...can finally feel the 250bhp+ lol. The eml/codes have gone so I'm happy :)

When I plug my code reader in, I am getting a p0172 code though. The mechanic did say the filter on the itg induction kit it has needs a good clean though. Which when I've looked into it, could be causing the code.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.