What Oil in your TSI?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Just wondering really. I know there are Castrol stickers under the bonnet now (my mk2 had Repsol) but do you have a preference?

Which grade and spec (502,504) do you go for?

Jun 15, 2013
So far my car has used no oil in the first 2000 or so miles but should it need a top up I will be using the Total Ineo MC3 5w30 we use in the wifes Kia and I used in my old BMW. It meets VW 502.00 specification which is correct according to the handbook for a petrol with fixed servicing intervals.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
That's part of the reason I'm wondering what others use - my reg doesn't come up on any oil locator and using the A3 TSI 180 brings up 5w30 (504.00) however the service guy at my local dealer said 5w40 which is a 502.00 spec.

Now I understand the difference between 5w30, 5w40, 0w30 etc but it's the vw specs which confuse me more as nobody seems to know their hierarchy as such.

Having never owned a petrol turbo I'm curious as to what others have success with our prefer. I thought it'd be interesting to see if there was any trend.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I'm pretty sure 5w30 is used for 'LongLife' servicing intervals and 5w40 for time/ distance

I think the latter is slightly thicker than the former but other than than that unsure of any differences! Probably best to stick with Castrol or Quantum but wouldn't worry too much

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I'm pretty sure 5w30 is used for 'LongLife' servicing intervals and 5w40 for time/ distance

I think the latter is slightly thicker than the former but other than than that unsure of any differences! Probably best to stick with Castrol or Quantum but wouldn't worry too much

I most likely will go 5w40 route as that is the only noticeable spec the Service guy mentioned to me - before I knew that 5w40 is only available in 502 spec. Just need to see which Oil to go for now - so many to choose from! More so in the 5w30 range!

If your really concerned post to opie oils as I'm sure they'll be able to help and explain everything

I did post to Opie and they responded much the same - either should be OK, though they did also say they thought SEAT state to use 504 in all of their new engines now - that hasn't helped my decision making s that means 5w30!

Most of my commute is urban traffic, though that will soon change to include some Motorway once we move offices. I'm unsure whether that has anybearing on use of 30 or 40 either...

Jun 15, 2013
I have checked on many oil manufacturers and suppliers websites today (bit bored) and none have the 2013 TSi Leon shown (or any new model Leon for that matter). Lots of info on older cars.

Still happy using the Total VW 502.00 spec for top ups (should I need any) but if I needed to buy some oil I would probably ring the local dealer and see exactly what they use viscosity wise. Pretty sure it will be 5w30 for all models but since it does not state the viscosity in the handbook I guess it could be 5w40.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
What oil are Cupra 280 owners topping up with? Mines set to long life and the manual says vw spec 504.00 is needed. Any type of oil ok as long as it meets vw 504.00? Just need to top up!

For topping up I'm using Halfords VW/Audi 5w/30 fully synthetic (meets VW 504 spec), great price when on offer, and been using it and 0w/30 in my previous Cupras for years.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
For topping up I'm using Halfords VW/Audi 5w/30 fully synthetic (meets VW 504 spec), great price when on offer, and been using it and 0w/30 in my previous Cupras for years.

Great thanks for the info :)
I've been in the shed clearing stuff today and actually found a 1l top up kit I had with my last VW - Shell VW spec 504.00 5w/30! Unopened as my last car didn't use a drop, but manufactured date is March 2013, is oil ok this old or should I get a new carton?

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
(meets VW 504 spec)

Unfortunately some oils only just meet spec. whereas others exceed the spec, problem is finding out which ones.

My 1.2 drinks oil, use Castrol edge 5w30 1 litre is £8 at Tesco, bought some today.

Castrol's often on offer, must be a reason.

My Tdi used oil on Castrol until the main dealer became aware of Castrol oils and switched to Shell, it now uses so little I've no need to check in between services.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Great thanks for the info :)
I've been in the shed clearing stuff today and actually found a 1l top up kit I had with my last VW - Shell VW spec 504.00 5w/30! Unopened as my last car didn't use a drop, but manufactured date is March 2010, is oil ok this old or should I get a new carton?

As it is the right grade and spec it should be fine, I would have no problem putting it in my motor, especially as it is only being added as a top up to the original oil already in the car.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
As it is the right grade and spec it should be fine, I would have no problem putting it in my motor, especially as it is only being added as a top up to the original oil already in the car.

I came to the same conclusion as you've just said, top up only and unopened seems fine. Might be different if it had been opened 3 years or so!

A quick google showed average time acceptable for use of an unopened can is 5 years. And that's full fill not used for topping up.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.