What REAL mpg do you get from yours?

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
just worked it out, i push 160 miles every time to 20quid... which would be just about 40mpg! any ideas why so low... my driving is 'fuel saver mode - the odd spirt down the bypass' mixture of long distance town trips and short journeys. (where i come from there are loads of bypasses so mainly use those) otherwise its 30mph speed limits.

cars recently had, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, oil change. 88k. 130 tdi.

on board computer is well wrong, lowest ive seen is 8mpg :| (thats not even booting it) but most of the time it says 55-70mpg... but recently ive seen it go well over the 100mpg mark ha:| liesss!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
What speed is the odd sprint down the bypass? What fuel do you use? Short journeys aren't good for TDIs really as they can't excel

60-70mph of course, sometimes faster for overtaking but dont generally stay at speeds above 70mph for more than a few seconds. i would say out of my 160miles to 20quid i do about half on bypasses maybe less.

maybe my fuel consumption isn't to bad... just the fact im loosing a good 3litres off 4 gallons? due to the price of fuel? usually get 17. something litres.

sfalcus

Mar 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I stuck to 60-70 MPH on the way home last night and my average MPG for the entire 30 mile journey was 63.9MPG!!!!!!!!

what a difference!

5 - 10 mph off my speed has improved it by 15MPG seriousley!

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yep agreed about the short journeys, anyone who is concerned about their mpg in a TDI should not take what they are getting now, but fill it up then go for a good long drive, i mean a 250 mile stint to Devon usually confirms it for me, the engine is capable of great economy its just the usual trawl to work shows its not getting its best due to the road and driving conditions.

Do a long stint and then see what it says.

Topsey

Jan 21, 2007
Over a whole tank my average at the moment is around 52-55 mpg. Depending on which way I got to work a 27 mile journey can vary form 54 mpg (back route, B roads, fewer hold ups) to 43 mpg (A roads but stop start all the way!).

I have got 60 mpg on a motorway run and my other half achieved 65mpg - driving like an old fart! :D

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
hi all,
I own a mk4 pd100 and recently got 400miles out of my usual 40 litre fill up. Before this 40 litres would get me 300-330 miles, doing London short journeys. Im not sure if the change to 17inch alloys and putting 35 psi in the tyres has made a difference, but i also did an unusual 230 mile motorway run seeing 57mpg .

k5roc

Rob O
Apr 17, 2008
Worcestershire
www.k5roc.co.uk
Ive got an ALTEA Sport 140 TDI DSG (auto)

over the last 2 years its averaged 38mpg but since November Ive been using Shell using their discount Mastercard , 3% off all fuel, and the MPG has gone up to 42mpg plus i'm currently getting 3.5p a litre cash back each month

Bit disappointed its only hovering around 40mpg but its 2 ltr auto and its hard not to "drive" it hard

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
mu cupra tdi i would be lucky to get 300 miles to a tank. computer shows 32 mpg lol. not on motorway often so that would probaly explain it . only has 26000 miles on the clock

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
mu cupra tdi i would be lucky to get 300 miles to a tank. computer shows 32 mpg lol. not on motorway often so that would probaly explain it . only has 26000 miles on the clock

your car looks really smart mate. i got 344 to my last tank full. ive written how many litres it took to fill so i can work it out.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
My Altea Sport 2.0ltr managed 61.5mpg yesterday on a trip from North Yorks to Bromsgrove and back. I had the engine tinkered with by Jayson at Chipped UK and he gave me an economy map. It didn't make any difference to the trip back compared to the trip down there, but round about the roads local to me it's made a difference of about 5mpg by the look of things.:D Wifey took the car out today for her usual Sunday trip to the daughters ballet workshop, and its much improved over last week.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
done 65miles so far (put 20quid in the tank from empty... gave me half a tank. so far its down to quarter of a tank. I have done 4 x 1 mile and half journeys. rest have been long trips havnt taken the car past 2k revs hot or cold... quite poor tbf :(

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
ive got a ibiza 1.9 tdi (110 sport) i get near the 400 miles mark for a full to the brim tank down to 0 miles on the computer lol! i do 60 miles a day motorway driving! Would a chip / remap for performance cost me much off the MPG?? diesels getting darn expensive!!!!!

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
The problem is that people are still expecting 6 gazillion miles for £30. Several years ago would have got them nearly 40 litres as now it gets you 25 or less. Therefore £20 worth of fuel will get you less distance than it did before due to the fact you are getting less to start with.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.