What spacers with 8.5j wheels.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Just won some wheels which I hadn't planned on but they are a bargain.

They are 8.5 X 18 5x112 Audi fit but with 35mm offset so know I have to get some adapters but just wanted to know what thickness I can get away with as they are wider than the standard LCR 18's.

I currently have 15mm all round and like the way the wheels sit in the arches so would like a matching look.

Anyone running 8.5 wide with spacers, pics would be brilliant.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I'm not entirely sure they're going to fit mate

You'll need a minimum of 15mm spacers for the adaptors to work to bring the stud pattern right which will bring the ET down to 20.

If you add that to the fact that they're 8.5J wide they're going to stick out a fair way past the arches so you may need to flare the arches or get extensions.

I hope I'm wrong but I had 8.5J wide wheels ET36 on a MR2 without spacers and they sat flush and I'd suspect the MR2 has more clearance than a Leon or a LCR

Another thing that's just popped into my head is what's the tyre profile? If it's higher than standard you may find that it knocks on the suspension especially if you're lowered so without arch work I honestly think you'll struggle

Good luck

Last edited:

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
I'm not entirely sure they're going to fit mate

You'll need a minimum of 15mm spacers for the adaptors to work to bring the stud pattern right which will bring the ET down to 20.

If you add that to the fact that they're 8.5J wide they're going to stick out a fair way past the arches so you may need to flare the arches or get extensions.

I hope I'm wrong but I had 8.5J wide wheels ET36 on a MR2 without spacers and they sat flush and I'd suspect the MR2 has more clearance than a Leon or a LCR

Good luck

Balls

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
On the bright side though if you got them for a good price there's nothing stopping you relisting them for an Audi S4 or even the newer S3's so you could make some money :)

They'll be easier to fit on those because they won't need the hub adaptors so they'll be a direct fit which isn't much consolation to you I'm sure :(

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
If you can get 15mm adapters you'll be fine. I'm on 9x18 et35 rears with 15mm spacers (=et20) and 8x18 et35 fronts with 20mm spacers (=et15) lowered pretty far and I only catch my rear tyres on the inner arch liner over the worst drops.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
If you can get 15mm adapters you'll be fine. I'm on 9x18 et35 rears with 15mm spacers (=et20) and 8x18 et35 fronts with 20mm spacers (=et15) lowered pretty far and I only catch my rear tyres on the inner arch liner over the worst drops.

Nice one cheers.

I can get 15mm adapters, looking this morning the rears should be ok but front may poke a bit, the car is only slightly lowered on eibach springs so should be fine.
Need a couple of dinks sorted on the front wings anyway so could get them flared a touch if necessary.

dgjdrummer have you any pics so I can get an idea?

Ryan I'll be using standard tyre size 225/40 R18 so just the wheels that will be wider.

Last edited:

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
That's my mistake, I apologise I didn't think they'd fit due to above reasons

Look forward to seeing them fitted :)

Once again I'm sorry I got it wrong :)

No worries dude, always best to voice a concern if you have one that's what we use forums for.

Looked at willtheyfit and it reckons the rim will poke 12.7mm more then they do now on the standard wheels and spacers so the front my need some arch adjustment which I'm sure a bit of rolling will sort out.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I have pics in my readers ride mate, link in my sig. I don't think you'll need arch work if you use a 15mm adapter, mine sit out about the same amount and I've not had any problems yet :)

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Will do, had loads done recently should update my RR really.

Can't wait as they are also freshly refurbed, won't be picking them up till Easter Bank hol as busy this WE and in NYC next but gives me time to source adapters etc.

Last edited:

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
FINALLY

Got my wheels, after 6 weeks the guy dropped them round as our working shifts never seemed to let us meet up and I am well chuffed they still have the rim tape on from the refurb not been on a car since.

He sold them as they were too wide for his S3 but has since bought a MK5 R32 which they would fit so has offered to buy them back if they don't fit the LCR (although Mrs really liked the noise of his R32 so you never know may be able to twist her arm as she's never really been into the Leon).

Anyway the reason for thread resserection is that I obviously need a new set of bolts but not sure how long to get them,

I'll be using 15mm 5x100 to 5x112 adaptors so not sure if this is shallower/deeper than standard length?

Can anyone shed any light?

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I'm assuming they're not bolt ons, In which case you'd need 15mm longer than standard

I can't remember the size of the standard ones although I'm sure I've seen it mentioned somewhere here before lol

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
If they're adapters they'll be bolt on, otherwise the bolts would sit at funny angles and not hold properly!

You'll need standard length bolts with either tapered (aftermarket wheels) bolt heads or radius (oem wheels) bolt heads.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
If they're adapters they'll be bolt on, otherwise the bolts would sit at funny angles and not hold properly!

You'll need standard length bolts with either tapered (aftermarket wheels) bolt heads or radius (oem wheels) bolt heads.

They are ones that bolt to the hub (bolts supplied) the I bolt the wheels to them.

Wasn't sure if they would be longer or shorter, what length are the standard bolts?

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
They are ones that bolt to the hub (bolts supplied) the I bolt the wheels to them.

Wasn't sure if they would be longer or shorter, what length are the standard bolts?

Well if they bolt to the hub and the hub wheels bolt to the adaptors then your standard or aftermarket wheel bolts would be fine I believe, The 8.5J only regards to the width of the wheel the machining process would still be the same for the wheel centres / bolts etc

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members