What the hell is wrong with this piece of crap?

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Bought a dsg cr170 supercopa before Christmas because of a back injury and driving was killing me.

All seemed fine, but it pulled to the left slightly and the steering was never as sharp a the fr I part exchanged.

Few months on and it's pulling to the left badly so I have it 4 wheel aligned.

Pulling to the left has stopped, well, unless you hit a bump and it just pulls in whatever direction of whatever side of the car the bump was.

Also, it feels like the steering is really loose, like driving in ice.

Local stealers have had it, nothing. They had it aligned, again and the found car was straight and yet the looseness still exists.

Original dealers is over 100 miles away so not really a viable option for getting it looked at there.

Any ideas?

I live close to awesome Gti but do they do remedial work? Car is about 9 months old and I love it to bits, the car I've always wanted. I've got a set if black andromedas waiting to go on after it's hopefully dropped soon but this is causing me to dread driving it.

Cheers all.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Bought a dsg cr170 supercopa before Christmas because of a back injury and driving was killing me.

All seemed fine, but it pulled to the left slightly and the steering was never as sharp a the fr I part exchanged.

Pulling to the left has stopped, well, unless you hit a bump and it just pulls in whatever direction of whatever side of the car the bump was.

Local stealers have had it, nothing. They had it aligned, again and the found car was straight and yet the looseness still exists.

Original dealers is over 100 miles away so not really a viable option for getting it looked at there.

Any ideas?

I live close to awesome Gti but do they do remedial work? Car is about 9 months old and I love it to bits, the car I've always wanted. I've got a set if black andromedas waiting to go on after it's hopefully dropped soon but this is causing me to dread driving it.

Cheers all.

I know the steering resistance can be set in VCDS. Other than that I'm sans clues. Maybe test drive another CR170 at a dealer's and compare?

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
As Shnazzle says, compare it against another car. I'm sure there would be one or two on here willing to let you drive their car - or try a dealer. Surely they can't fail to agree?!

I certainly wouldn't be paying Awesome's prices, especially when you have a dealership warranty, without know what you're letting yourself in for. Any SEAT dealership should help (although some would say there is an irony to that statement!! :blink: ).

How many miles have you done? Can you see any un-even wear on your tyres?

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
My guess is Tramlining.

Are your tyres worn unevenly?
Not a lot of tread left?
Does this one have bigger ( width and diameter?) wheels than your last car?
Do you drive on roads with a lot of camber?

Awesome GTI? I wouldn't bother, unless you have extremely deep pockets and like people to drop your pants down and spank you from behind...

James_85UK

Feb 23, 2009
Leicester
You'd be surprised when it comes to wheel alignment, in my job we use a company called Lasalign to go through every single new van we have on fleet and you would be surprised how badly they can be aligned out of the factory. Once this company make the tests they calibrate for us too, just don't know if they do cars as well though.

In some cases the wheels were so far out we were claiming all costs back from them through warranty.

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
Considering its not all that old I doubt much will be wrong with it, an has for the tyres I doubt they will need changing yet unless its high millage.

Maestro

Dec 16, 2007

Any ideas?

Cheers all.
i am driving an DSG 170 CR too, and from day one i have the same problem... the car is pulling to the side and also, steering feels like its really loose + steering wheel shakes at cca. 140 km/h. I have changed 3 sets of wheels and 2 sets of tires, wheel aligned 5 times, nothing helped... dont know what to do anymore...

P.s. dsg question - when you driving in a corner, and brake before it and then you hit gas pedal, does your car accelerate immediately, or do you have a filling like its out of the gear (like in somekind of neutral), then it puts it back in and then it goes?

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
Maybe change the heavyness of the power steering through vagcom, i found the fr really weird to drive when i first got it and it makes the civic feel like it had no power steering! I could kind of relate to what you mean as it was such a big difference between the two so maybe the supercopa is even lighter

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
You can't change the steering weight for the FL cars.

Regards to the DSG issue:
Are you sure it is still in the same gear? If you slow down enough that it requires the gearbox to change down then yes there will be a hesitation. If you slow down but it isn't enough to change down a gear, but instead you request a lot of power then it will change down regardless, maybe this is what you are feeling. If you use manual mode then you wont have this problem :)

Deleted member 74601

With regards to pulling to the side. Have you had a 4 wheel hunter alignment done, as opposed to normal alignment? Mine pulls to the left too, and am starting to think it's because of a 'Steer Ahead' value of close to 0 degrees. They will be able to change your steer ahead value to reduce the sensitivity to camber in the road, and maybe that will help with the pulling.

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
The alignment was done at Chris Mullins in Glos using a hunter system.

All tyres are virtually brand new, only 6000 miles.

If I Gil the steering wheel rock steady the car drifts from left to right, on the motorway I'm continually correcting its direction, left and right.

When I waggle the steering wheel there's a knocking from underneath but the dealer says not to worry about that. Does anybody else's do this?

At low speeds I have to turn the wheel really far just to get the car turning. It seems like a steering rack issue to me.

The stealer basically gave me the keys and said they've done all they can, an alignment is all they can do? An that was after their chief tech agreed there was something wron with the car.

I'm at my limit with this and all seats.

Maestro

Dec 16, 2007

If I Gil the steering wheel rock steady the car drifts from left to right, on the motorway I'm continually correcting its direction, left and right.

At low speeds I have to turn the wheel really far just to get the car turning. It seems like a steering rack issue to me.

exactly the same problem with my car...

Maestro

Dec 16, 2007
You can't change the steering weight for the FL cars.

Regards to the DSG issue:
Are you sure it is still in the same gear? If you slow down enough that it requires the gearbox to change down then yes there will be a hesitation. If you slow down but it isn't enough to change down a gear, but instead you request a lot of power then it will change down regardless, maybe this is what you are feeling. If you use manual mode then you wont have this problem :)

same speed (low speed), just a tap on the brake or foot away from acceleration pedal, and back on, and i can "feel" it kicks back in a gear....
its like every time a brake (for example, at the crossroads), it goes to neutral, instead of going into lower gear, and then when i put my foot on acceleration pedal, it puts the gear back in.... (sry, its kind of difficult for me to explain...)

Last edited:

Maestro

Dec 16, 2007
The alignment was done at Chris Mullins in Glos using a hunter system.

When I waggle the steering wheel there's a knocking from underneath but the dealer says not to worry about that. Does anybody else's do this?

The stealer basically gave me the keys and said they've done all they can, an alignment is all they can do? An that was after their chief tech agreed there was something wron with the car.

I'm at my limit with this and all seats.
any news/changes regarding this problems?

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Nah mate. I've still got the car and still as bad as it was before. Took it in for a service and asked them to look at it. Service bloke said it definitely likes cambers but couldn't find anything wrong. He recommended I get it 4 wheel aligned, I said I already had, he shrugged and walked off. Seat service/dealers really are crap.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.