what to do before remap?

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
im going to book my car in with AMD in a few weeks to be mapped.

ive already decatted the car, is it worth fitting a egr blanking plate and cleaning intake/egr just before i get it mapped?

ive got a pd150.

thanks.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
EGR delete would be worth doing as you've already done the exhaust.

Fish

Fishy

May 16, 2005
There's also some coolant pipework to adjust. If you do it properly you'll fully remove half the crap at the rear of the engine.

Fish

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
If you get a straight pipe ('race pipe', e.g: from Allard) to replace the EGR assembly then you can ditch the EGR valve completely and the EGR cooler which is situated below the valve. Darkside sell a coolant pipe to bypass the cooler.

Only problem with fitting a race pipe is the end will not work with the standard rubber hose into the EGR assembly, which is designed with two locating lugs to fit into the end of the EGR valve, so then you get into silicone / hard pipe kits for the pressure pipework, which are pricy and some of which have caused problems with leaks some for people who've used them on here.

Simplest and cheapest solution would be to either blank the EGR inlet pipe at the exhaust manifold end using a metal gasket, or else pull the vacum hose off the EGR valve and plug it with a small screw.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
i want to keep the egr in place incase i have a turbo faliure, i think il just blank it at the exhaust inlet as ive read that it stops it from future clogging and helps with smoke, ive also read mixed messages about slight performance gains?

mlmt19

Jan 14, 2010
Just outside Edinburgh
I bought an EGR delete kit thats for the golf's and fitted it on mines. I've also got a custom exhaust =) delete kits makes a difference and has been on the car now over 40k an touch wood no issues. improvement in performance though, pulls much better and smoother, especially in 2nd. kit cost me £60 and is easy to fit.
what are doing about your clutch? is it still standard?

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
the clutch is standard and fairly worn id say, i was going to fit a new LUK clutch and dmf before the remap. surely by fitting a blanking plate on the egr is going to give the same result as a bypass kit?

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
The EGR delete pipes look to have a bigger bore than the standard EGR valve but don't know if that alone causes any improvement in performance as I'm not sure if the valve is a bottleneck.

If your EGR valve is already partially blocked then I guess it could make a difference to the air flow.

I disconnected my EGR vacuum hose recently & tried running without but didn't really notice any difference in performance. Saying that though I'd already had the EGR flow dialled down to minimum in VCDS....

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
For your EGR Delete, you don't need an additional silicone pipe, if you cut the metal VW connector off at the end it will fit right on the allard pipe, just make sure you get close to the metal connector when cutting.

I have had about four lots of egr's over two Leon TDI's and I can honestly say you need to get rid.

In my personal experience blanking them only half solves the issue, once you blank them they eventually blow the diaphram in the top and then start leaking oil and boost, yeah of course you are getting rid of the ASV as well, but in all honesty if your car is crapping itself and running on its own oil then the ASV is only going to partially help lower the damage to the engine.

Hope that helps answer a few questions.