What VCDS options would we like to have looked into

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
Seeing as this part of the forum is fairly new, I thought I would start a thread about what options people would like to see looked into having unlocked on VCDS.

My first option I would like to see if it is possible to turn on the radar guided cruise, seeing as most of the cars are fitted with the forward radar and cruise as standard.

Feel free to add to the list and hopefully some VAGCOM gurus can start having a look thought the system menus and see what is there ready and waiting to be turned on.

olliechambers1

Jan 2, 2018
Lancashire/Berkshire
Radar guided cruise control is up there for me. Along with folding wing mirrors on lock and being able to make adjustments to the number of clicks the "comfort" turn signals do. I think it might also be good to enable a rear view camera for aftermarket install (If it even needs coding?). It's the exact same camera as the Ateca in case anyone is wondering.

Last edited:

olliechambers1

Jan 2, 2018
Lancashire/Berkshire
My first option I would like to see if it is possible to turn on the radar guided cruise, seeing as most of the cars are fitted with the forward radar and cruise as standard.

Just had a look in the manuals and the Self Study Programs for the Ibiza and Arona and it looks like the 3rd lever needs to be installed for the adaptive cruise control. As far as I'm aware the only Arona models that have the 3rd lever are the Excellence, Excellence Lux, Excellence First Edition, and SE Technology First Edition. And they already have adaptive cruise control enabled on them.

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
I remember reading something, maybe on the new Ibiza forums, that there also needs to be something else installed for the radar so that ACC works, that is not installed by default on non-ACC cars.

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
Hi peeps,

Can't help with the ACC thing, since it comes standard in my car. :p

However, I compiled a list of OBD changes I'd like to get done on mine. These are for the Ibiza, but should work in the Arona as well.

Code:
Enable Display Driver Profiles at Startup
If your car is driving profiles, with this mod, every time you boot it will show in the FIS how you are without having to look at the screen.
1 - Module 19 - diagnosis interface for data bus. Code (20103)
2 - Extended Coding (byte mode)
3 - Byte 8
4 - Activate bit 4

Test needle / staging mode when the ignition
With this mod, by making contact makes the staging or test needle, is a very striking mod.
1 - Module 17 - Code Box instruments- (25327)
2 - Extended Coding
3 - Byte 1
4 - Enable Bit 0

Chronometer in FIS \ Laptimer!
With this mod, you will add a timer in the FIS.
2 - Extended Coding
3 - Byte 1
4 - Enable Bit 3

FIS liters refueled
With this mod, you will add the function of liters you have to refuel.
2 - Extended Coding
3 - Byte 10
4 - Enable Bit 4
It shows the liters of 5 in 5. Full Deposit = 45 liters, full tank shows three stripes.

Activated carbon background Infotainment
With this mod, change the background screen infotainment to Carbon mode.
1 - Module 5F - Electronic Information 1. Code (20103)
2 - Extended Code (Text mode)
3 - Byte 17 Skinning
4 - Select Skin 3

DRL control from the CAR menu
With this mod, we activate a new option in Settings-lights where we can activate or deactivate the DRL.
1 - Module 09 - Electronic. Code (31347)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Daytime Running Light
4 - Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung oder durch BAP bedienfolge moeglich
5 - Change value to On

Menu Display Compass - OFF ROAD WITH AND WITHOUT NAVI
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select - Car Function Adaptations Gen 2
4 - Search submenu - Menu compass display (ON)
5 - Search submenu - Menu display compass over threshold (ON)
6 - Select - Car Function List Bap Gen 2
7 - Search submenu - Compass 0x15 (ON)
8 - Search submenu - 0x15 Compass msg bus (data bus comfort)
9 - Byte 24 Navigation System
10 - Change value to On.
This mod does not allow all functions without NAVI.
Logically altitude and compass does not display data.
Also reports a fault in the module 5F saying that environmental data missing
(Only reports to do analysis with OBDeleven, nothing comes on screen)
A normal error and do not have to worry.
With NAVI everything works 100%
If you want me to show the angle of rotation of the wheels on this menu you have to make the mod Slope Angle of View menu.

Menu Display Angle of Slope - angle of rotation of the wheels
With this modification you can add new functionality to Mod OFFROAD Display Menu.
By itself does not work, you must have activated the OFFROAD menu.
We will show graphically the angle of rotation of the wheels to turn the wheel.
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select - Car Function Adaptations Gen 2
4 - Search submenu - Menu display angle of stope (ON)
5 - Search submenu - Menu display angle of stope over threshold (ON)
6 - Select - Car Function List Bap Gen 2
7 - Search submenu - Angle of stope 0x24 (ON)
8 - Search submenu - 0x24 Angle of stope msg bus (data bus comfort)

Install OEM Rear Camera
Necessary items: OEM NTSC camera, connectors for the Quadlock.
Install the camera by connecting the original cables of the ceiling to the cables of the light of the new ceiling.
Feed the camera directly from the cigarette lighter or from fuses.
Connect the signal cables to the Quadlock (Blue Connector) Where the PIN 6 is the positive and the PIN 12 is the video mass.

1 - Module 5F
2 - Coding (bytes mode)
3 - Byte 19 - Activate bit 4

Another way:
1 - Coding (text mode)
2 - Byte 19 Rear View Low --- Set it to On

Activate Alarm Free
No installation required. Suitable for all vehicles without standard alarm. Vehicles without alarm installed. It only monitors doors, bonnet and trunk.
1 - Module 09 - Electronic control unit. Code (31347)
2 - Extended coding (bytes)
3 - Byte 12
4 - Activate Bit 0 (Anti-theft system installed / active)
5 - Adaptation
6 - Submenu - Anti-theft protection
7 - DWA Alarmverzoegerung (Change value to "door contact thatcham driver")
8 - DWA Camper Modus (Change value to "enabled")
9 - Ueberwachung Innenentriegelungshelbel (Change value to "activated")
10 - Akustischer Alarm Signalhorn (Change value to "enabled")
11 - Submenu - Answer Signals
12 - Akustische Rueckmeldung global (Change value to "enabled")
13 - Akustische Rueckmeldung Signalhorn (Change value to "activated")

Note that once we leave the vehicle, the alarm is activated after a few seconds, so if the
We want to try to wait a few seconds and then open the door from the inside (with the window open, for
example). Lock the car while inside, and after about 30 seconds open the door and
The alarm goes off, it switches off or gives the contact or the remote control giving it to open.

:D

Reactions: JoseKaLeL

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Would be very interested in This as My SE has No Alarm if any more info or anbody has done it /U]

Activate Alarm Free
No installation required. Suitable for all vehicles without standard alarm. Vehicles without alarm installed. It only monitors doors, bonnet and trunk.
1 - Module 09 - Electronic control unit. Code (31347)
2 - Extended coding (bytes)
3 - Byte 12
4 - Activate Bit 0 (Anti-theft system installed / active)
5 - Adaptation
6 - Submenu - Anti-theft protection
7 - DWA Alarmverzoegerung (Change value to "door contact thatcham driver")
8 - DWA Camper Modus (Change value to "enabled")
9 - Ueberwachung Innenentriegelungshelbel (Change value to "activated")
10 - Akustischer Alarm Signalhorn (Change value to "enabled")
11 - Submenu - Answer Signals
12 - Akustische Rueckmeldung global (Change value to "enabled")
13 - Akustische Rueckmeldung Signalhorn (Change value to "activated")

Note that once we leave the vehicle, the alarm is activated after a few seconds, so if the
We want to try to wait a few seconds and then open the door from the inside (with the window open, for
example). Lock the car while inside, and after about 30 seconds open the door and
The alarm goes off, it switches off or gives the contact or the remote control giving

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
Me too for the alarm adaption, although it's not that clear from the way it's written as to exactly how it works.

Does this just sound the normal horn noise when doors, bonnet or tailgate are opened once it's been locked either internally with the button or external with remote key..?

I like the needle sweep, pointless but cool and had it activated on our Leon.

Last edited:

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
From what I understand, it's just the horn when the doors, bonnet or boot are opened after being locked.

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
That'll be useful for our models without a proper alarm system (..very tight Seat..)

There's probably loads on the forums if I search but what do you need to use OBDeleven and code adaptions ?
I've got my old VCDS cable and software but guessing that's no good for the current models ?

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
I am a complete newbie to SEAT, the forum and VCDS/OBD11. As a software engineer who likes to see what is under the computer hood, I would like to try the software. I appreciate I need hardware too.

What hardware (cable, connector, computer/tablet) do I need?

What software is recommended? I don't need anything more than viewing and changing settings, and reading status/fault information.

Thanks.

Deleted member 103408

Dunkelmann, for the VAG range generally there are three tools that most people use on this site.

VCDS - This is the most expensive but also the best supported and has the most in depth information - check out https://www.gendan.co.uk/vcds-hex-usb-can.php as an example of a site you can buy it. Please be aware there are lots of Chinese cables you can buy but you will get no support from Ross Tech (developers) or the user community on there forums if you have one of these and they can and do cause issues.

OBD11 (www.obdeleven.com)- My tool of choice as it gives you access to the control units (View and Code) at a reasonable cost, its does not have the support of VCDS and there are some things it cant make changes to (although personally I have yet to find one) in the retrofitting world. If you check out http://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/3262/control-unit-setup you will see the sort of information that is available using this tool

Carista - Cheapest of them all, i have not used it but my understanding of it is that it does the coding for you, so you don't have full access to see and fiddle with the cars systems but if you just want to make changes they support its a great tool for the money.

VCDS can be connected via Windows PC and Cable and i think they now do a Bluetooth Dongle version (but dont think that is as functionally rich as the proper VCDS cabled version.

OBD11 is Android Phone - Bluetooth connection via OBD11 Port (using there own Dongle) and I do not expect there to be a Apple Version personally

Carista Android and Apple via Bluetooth connection using generic Dongle

All three of these tools allow you to check for errors and make changes

There are many other tools out there that do error checking and provide access to Real Time Data if you are into that but they are mostly read only tools.

Hope that helps.

Deleted member 103408

Sorry cant edit post's at the moment, I should also add that these tools only give access to the Control Units, they do not allow you to make changes to Firmware or mess around with Component Protection for that you will need different tools, which I am only just starting to come across so cant give much info on.

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
Thanks theoldboy. I appreciate the comprehensive answer. I will follow your recommendation and go for the free app from OBD11, together with their OBD eleven device at £34.55. I can buy the Pro software later. That combination seems right for the occasional user.

I do like the help forums give, "above and beyond", so I will join the forum you suggested once I get the kit. I am still eagerly waiting on something to plug it in to though.

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
Just a thought, does anyone find the Pro software useful, in that it does something you really needed to do?

I had a merry evening looking at generic devices and free apps, but that simply confirmed I was happy to go with obd11, since the generic route seemed plagued with cheap Chinese devices. I don't mind paying for quality.

I have only one reservation and that is you are tied to obdeleven since they do not offer a generic device.

Deleted member 103408

I am biased as a pro user and a big fan of the tool.

i could tell you all the good stuff i have done with it (at no extra cost) and all the help i have been able to provide other users but at the end of the day for me the two choices were VCDS or OBD11 to give me the level of control / flexibility I wanted over the car.

I have other apps like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque that use ELM327 bluetooth adapters but they are for specific purposes (On screen visualization) , OBD11 Gives me what I need at a Price I was happy with and no ongoing cost's

VCDS Is the best but its at a cost and the cheaper version only supports 3 VIN's where OBD11 currently appears to have no limit.

Its horses for courses and it does depend on what you want to get from the tool.
Carista uses a generic ELM327 dongle but for me it did not give me access to the nuts and bolts and allow me to choose the config

Reactions: Dunkelmann

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
I ordered the device and Pro licence for a touch over £60 including delivery. My daughter has a Skoda Fabia SEL so I have two cars to play with (and justify the cost to the wife).

I may get a generic device ELM327 device, e.g. a vGate one, once I work out what the difference is between the versions they sell.

JoseKaLeL

ARONA Beats Audio Edition (2019-Facelift)
Jan 8, 2020
Aguascalientes, México
Just to make everyone aware, OBDeleven now has a list of "apps" for the Arona to do some of the things discussed in this thread.

The apps costs credits bro also there’s a way to do the same things by coding so I think that’s what we want mostly of the users for could had the option of free and doing by ourselfs and learning on the process. I just brought and obd11 pro and I’m looking for a list of mods or those apps available for do it to my car with the obd and the app.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.