What would you do....?

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
My mate has a 3yr Black Leon that has never been polished or waxed, it gets washed very regularly, just not polished and waxed. As a result its covered in swirl marks (like cobwebs) and water just 'sheets' on it. Whats the best way to go about getting it sparkling from start to finish? and what products would you use?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
How much do you want to spend etc?

I would say you have three choices:

1- Get some swirl remover and do it by hand and then polish it - Not bad results (will look far better than it does now)

2- Get the car mopped by a profesional - about £60 and would be far better tahn yuo can do, then polish it

3- get a PC polisher and do it your slef and get a craking result

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
Iv got a pc ;) that i use for selant/wax, but as my car is quite ne it doesnt need much attention. Where as this one does and dont really know what the best way to go about it is.

Should i just wash clay then Klass AIO it or is there otherstuff i should be doing?

Last edited:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
No polisher not computer!

If it were me i would get the car done by a pro (mopped or similar) then start to wax it my self. I take it this fella doenst really take care of it if he doesnt polish it often?

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
It never been polished, he has only recently bought it and the bloke before him washed it twice a week (he would even clean all the tool kit and jack every time he washed it!), so its clean, just not protected.

(also Scotty I edited my post as i though you might think ment computer but i have got a porter cable)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Ah ok sorry fella! Thought you meant your mate has had it for 3 years!

Right then i would say:

Clean it
Clay bar it
Poor boys swirl remover - with PC
Body cleaner (poor boys or wolfgang) - by hand
Wolfgang sealant - with pc
P125s - carnuby wax - by hand

Think that should be ok for a basic run

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Ow forgot about AIO that would be good to use. I would get him to buy a pad for you tho (oragne) as you dont really want harsh stuff then going onto your paint

WX51 TXR

16v Mentalist
If you have access to a PC do it yourselves - not all 'pro' jobs are worth the money. I'd recommend the following...

1. Thorough wash with Poorboys Slick n Suds or Megs NXT, using lambswool mitt and two bucket method. Swap to a microfibre mitt for the wheels and inside the arches. Dry using a waffle weave microfibre.

2. Clay using any decent clay and lube. If you're on a budget you can't go wrong with Megs Quick Clay.

3. Mask of all rubber and plastic trims, and then polish car using Poorboys SSR1 applied via PC using white polishing pad (Orange pad is really too agressive for swirl removal and better for compounding). Bump up the speed to 5-6 for deep swirls and make as many passes as necessary. Remove residues using microfibre work towels.

4. Finish polishing/start protecting with Klasse AIO, applied either by hand or by PC using either white polishing pad or blue finishing pad, depending how much more polishing you want to do (I prefer to apply AIO by hand). Remove residue before it dries using microfibre buffing towel.

5. If the car is flat black, apply Poorboys EX sealant by hand, removing residue with microfibre buffing towel. If car is metallic black use Poorboys EX-P instead (EX-P doesn't mute the flake, EX does).

6. Finish with a coat or two of Poorboys Natty's Blue by hand, which out performs P21S by miles on dark colours.

If you fancy an even better finish you could try following step 3 (SSR) with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze (by PC or by hand), followed by Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze (again either by hand or PC), followed by steps 4 and 5 - this will give you even greater depth and shine.

:)

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
Use the Sonus DAS Orange Foam Pad to remove swirl marks, light scratches, water spots and medium oxidation.

Sonus DAS Green Foam Pad is to be used on clear coats to remove minor swirl marks and light oxidation.

The Sonus DAS Blue Foam Pad is to be used on clear coats for final gloss polishing and pre-wax cleaning.

seems to be orange for heavy swirls and green for light :confused:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Ah ok thought it was right, id go for the orange then as yours sounds quite bad.

Are they still doing a deal on these as there getting new style pads in. Also did you use Blue182's discount code?

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
Whats wrong with Seat paint! My leon has awful circular fine swirl marks, especially viaable in direct sun, despite using microfibre cloths and being very careful in the washing and polishing process.

I'm getting a new car soon, so i am intersted in how other people avoid this in the first place rather than waiting and trying to fix it. New car is in Black Magic Pearl.

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
Scotty_b said:
2- Get the car mopped by a profesional - about £60 and would be far better tahn yuo can do, then polish it
Scotty_b said:
Can anyone reccomend anywhere in the midlands? Need to sort the Leon out, and then try to maintain it. Just looked again and its depressing.

dalepearson

Gadget Freak
Mar 25, 2004
West Midlands
I have not read it all,

but first thing is to clay the complete car, get it soft as silk and as smooth as glass.
Then use some swirl remover, may need a few passes.
Then polish if you like and seal.
Then a nice wax to finish it all off.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
If you speak to car sparkle they have recommended someone down south to Ruddimister so im sure he will know someone in the midlands to do it.

Its not a seat paint think IMHO my mondeo, land rover 110 and discovery both have the same issue. Also I have done my mates golf, BMW, fiesta and cossie so far.

Best way is after you have the paint back to normal and you have plenty of sealant on there, is to make sure you use clean water, a good micro wash mitt and make sure you don’t let anyone else clean it or rush it as this is when this happens

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
take it to the jet wash,its gonna be covered in crap for the foreseeable future,he lives 200 yards from the gritting station :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.