Whats most cost effective way to upgrade brakes on LCR?

rabe187

Mar 19, 2009
Saudi Arabia
www.cardomain.com
Hi Amigos i'm new here and this is my first post, i have a 2006 Seat Leon 1.8 20V Turbo, currently stock but i plan on upgrading to stage 1, however even now at stock level i feel the brakes are not up to the job. To be honest the prices of Brembos are really high and i wanted to know if there is a cost effective way i can upgrade my brakes without having to sell any bodyparts ;P someone told me that i can fit a Porsche Cayennes front brakes set up onto my car and have Ceramic brakes but no one has confirmed that will work.... Help!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
well porsche cayennes and ceramics will be far from cost effective..

take it you have a lc not an r.

upgrade to ebc 312mm discs and ferodo ds2500s first then see if you happy with that, if not then porsche brembos fit and lcr brembos. the porsche brembos will work on your stock 312mm discs, the lcr will need 323mm discs.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You can buy the LCR Brembo's from Britian with 2 piece 330mm discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads with braided lines and uprated fluid for about £1,200.
This will give you very good stopping power.
But
As above Porsche Cayenne brakes would be awesome stopping power but at £3,000 ish they would have to be very good.
You would also need a very fast car to make it worth having these.
A 270BHP and 270 ft-lbs LCR stops very well on the 330mm discs for track days.
I would doubt you would need better unless your planning on 350BHP+ and serious track day action

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
oh and you can get 325mm discs aswell for the porsche brembos. 325mmx25mm discs, for more stopping power

tbh though as said, i have stage 2 at 234bhp, and my porsche 4 pots (similar to lcr brembos) with ds2500s are more than enough.

rabe187

Mar 19, 2009
Saudi Arabia
www.cardomain.com
Thanks James and Willie good info. i'll try the ebc discs and the ferodo pads first, as i live in Saudi Arabia and i think i'll have an easy time getting a pair of second hand good condition Porsche brembos as we have quite a lot of those around, and you're right Willie about the power, thing is i plan to upgrade my car to at least stage II so i figured why take any risks with the braking power, besides i tend to drive quite aggressive from time to time (all withing the boundaries of the law ... most of the time :) and from time to time i race other cars so stopping power is important to me .... i raced a 2009 V6 Subaru Legacy with 245 HP stock two days back and was very impressed to see that from Zero we were side by side until about 160 Kph and a rolling start from 60 kph we were side by side until about 220 kph .... so u can see my need for good braking power ;P Thanks again guys!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The LCR 323mm 4 pot Brembos fit on the front BUT due to these being big callipers you are limited in the alloy wheels you can fit over these without spacers.
Same story with the Porsche callipers, there are limited alloy wheels that fit over these.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53760&page=8

I have used this set up on the track an felt no need for better brakes TBH.
Thats including very hard braking from 110MPH to 25-30MPH for several laps with NO fade

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yup thats with Ferodo DS2500, I'm about to change to Ferodo DS3000's as these are track pads that are supposed to be alright on the road from cold too.
I WOULD NEVER advise to get an uprated braking system then buy sub standard pads, really bad idea.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
I would agree with Willie on everything he has said.

Would like to add that Rabe possibly has an LCR as not all non UK LCR's had Brembo's? Wasn't it an option for Europe?

If that is the case then one option would be the Ferrari 360 calipers, same physical size as the LCR Brembo but with bigger piston sizes. So this means they would bolt straight on (with the VAG LCR caliper bracket obviously) without having to mess around sourcing/fabricating a bracket for Porsche brembo's...

These are the F360 calipers fitted to my car :-

fmic_52.jpg

These, with 330mm 2 piece disks are all you are ever going to need. On my S3 I had early GT3 big reds with 334mm R32 2 piece disks and they were just as good but needed 15mm spacers :(

G2T

Mar 28, 2007
West Wales
Really interesting read, as i`m new to the leon platform. I have a couple of pairs of ibiza cupra r brembos and porsche boxster rears, are there any easy ways of using these on the leon??

Sorry if this is a hi jack, but the answers may add to the useful info in the thread.

Cheers

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The Ibiza Cupra R have never been mentioned AFAIK for fitting to the Leon, the Boxster haven't either but there are other Porsche ones that have beeen fitted but cannot remember the exact model.
It was the rear calipers that were fitted. If you search you will find a few threads on this.
But both the above use smaller discs than the LCR. With a caliper spacer you can use 330mm discs and these are easy to find in 2 piece race spec rotors and light weight bells. 330 x 28mm

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
boxter s rears fit, as boxter rears are configured fr a 22mm disc afaicr.

part numbers you need are 996.352.421 and 422 iirc

measure the pad pins, you need 25mm clearence to fit 312mm discs.

mine are 996 carrera rears, which are the same size as boxster fronts.

caliper carriers to suit and lines, then pads and fitting kit then your away.

daveb1970 is best persont o speak to, porsche brake guru.