Whats the Mileage on your TDI

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Mine's on 63k, bought it on 51k. I am not sure whether it's going strong or not, seems OK at the moment. I hope it last well over 100k, but can't ever imagine that happening, perhaps I am just paranoid....

I am a strong believer in 5k oil changes and warming the car up - hope this extends the life of my car!

You should be ok with 10k oil changes....I have been and now on 166k miles.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
That hits the nail mines a 110BHP and just clocked 100K.
I've had mine since 40K used Mobil 1 (so the 0W gets the oil round the Turbo bearings ASAP on startup), like you I do a cool down.
It Limp modes far less than it did 60K ago !
You mention you red line it occasionally is this to try and keep the vanes free from carbon ?
What I've always wondered when the engine is off are the Vanes in the lower boost or max boost position ? The reason I ask is to work out what action will ensure total movement of the vanes from one extreme to the other.
Similiarly I always try to exercise the vanes by accelerating hard up Motorway 'uphill' slip roads.
But I wonder if I should do this by doing a late (Hi RPM) gear change although exhaust gases will be High velocity so is this the position the vanes should be in ? Or do a gear change say 1900-2500rpm so that the vanes are in a completely different position to increase velocity of exhaust gases over the turbo to give max boost ?
Thanks

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thanks tried your method on way home up a long hill. Did WOT in 3rd from 1900RPM to 3500RPM just hope that gives full range and if so will use whenever in that area.
As for where the vanes sit when engine off would be good to know as would only need to ensure I do the opposite extreme. As the vanes are operated by a Vacuum pump I'd assume that the vanes would sit as far as the return spring would allow.

In the past I only used to get Overboast error so I am assuming (although I done know) that it was having problems on the vanes returning from giving high boast. (but that doesn't tell me vane angle)

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I was in a 54 plate octavia 1.9 tdi taxi the other day out of glasgow 690 000 miles and still on original engine, and to be honest car seemed sweet as a nut for 7 years old!

cbush

My 130 PD sport ate its turbo (shaft snapped) 2 weeks ago 156,000 Revo'd at 90K. I put a clutch in at the same time. Then it started blowing boost pipes off, so with a wheel bearing, fog light and the other bits it's just cost me £1500.00!!

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
What makes the shaft snap ? Is this what is known as turbo stall ? Hows is this brought about ? Is it anything to do with the mapping by being Revo'd and the demands ?
Paul

cbush

Nah... I think it was just old age and abuse! Got a brand spanking new turbo on it now so back with the abuse!
One thing i will be doing is getting my mate to set it all up again on his rolling road just to make sure all is good. Not that i have anything against the 'Revo' it currently runs.

Nah... I think it was just old age and abuse! Got a brand spanking new turbo on it now so back with the abuse!
One thing i will be doing is getting my mate to set it all up again on his rolling road just to make sure all is good. Not that i have anything against the 'Revo' it currently runs.

How much was the turbo ??

Ps if its a hybrid or standerd just make sure ur custom code remap is mapped so that it wrks proper with the turbo im sure iv read sumwere that if you do a wrong remap it can damage your turbo . Not 100% sure tho

cbush

£510.00 for an exchange unit or £530ish for a new standard one (trade) so went with the new one obviously!!

Its currently still on it's stage 1 Revo but my best mate is technical manager of a rather famous (or maybe infamous on here!) tuning firm so i'll let him run it on his RR...

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
I bought my 130pd leon at 12k its now about to hit 90k. I've got a hybrid and a map etc on mine. Mine has never given me any trouble and i drove 3000 miles in a week round europe which included 2 laps of the nurburg ring after a 700 mile drive. All in one day! Thats why i could only manage 2 laps i was shattered.

My brother has a w reg 90 bhp golf tdi with 150k on it which we bought with no service history and with the typical water pump impellor problem but thats runs like its got 500 miles on the clock. He's just done 20k of that 150k in the last 12 months.

Engines these days will out live the body of a car ifs its looked after.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I think you're right so maybe it's the Stock Turbo thats the limiting factor ?............I see you have a Hybrid & your Brothers is probably not a Variable Vane Turbo (ie 90bhp). So I think it's a case of looking after the Turbo.

MasserS

Apr 13, 2011
North West
This is the closest thread to what I'm looking for and think its related. Just wondering what needs replacing (Expected to be replaced) in between 140k-180k, as all the 150's I'm looking at are 130k-140k milers.

And I know these engines will last forever! Uncle of mine has the PD130 Golf, 210,000 miles, not been serviced since 80k! Gets ragged regularly and the odd track thrash!

Fathers PD105 Octavia has done 180,000 with no problems whatsoever in the last 100,000 miles since he's had his, regularly serviced.

MasserS

Apr 13, 2011
North West
Rang him and double checked, it's done 206k and not been serviced since he bought it from a lease company in 2005 with 80k on it, he says it has consumed some oil, which he keeps topping up, which I presume isn't great, especially after Reading PD oil threads on here

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
53 Reg Leon Cupra TDi, just clocked 134,500 miles.

its had new suspension, a uprated clutch, and just recently a new hybrid turbo fitted, all in thats cost me 2500!

I aim to keep the car for at least another 18 months, I bought it back in June 2008 with 59k on the clock.

I love my Pd150!