whats this?? whats that??

cupra118118

Sep 16, 2015
Hello, im new to leon cupras and have a few questions I hope somone can answer for me,

firstly a few things ive found but unsure what they are or what to do etc, so..

1-when I start the car from cold I can hear an electric motor which shortly goes off, what is it?

2-theres a plastic pipe coming from said motor in bay up towards airbox area but theres an indction kit fitted and the pipe is just laying there not connected to ought nxt to the air filter???

3-the dipstick guide is cracked are these easy to change?

4-sometimes, not very often it stinks of fuel but no leak found???

And lastly

5-seems to use a bit of water but no visable leaks or poor running etc, so is there a commn fault im missing somewhere?

I am wanting to get the car near perfect so I can start modifying it im hoping to achieve circa 250bhp

Any advice on above much appreciated, ta

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1 That is your "secondary air injection pump" or "SAI" for short. It helps warm the cat up faster for enviromental reasons by adding extra air after the exhaust valves, apart from that it does nothing.

2. That pipe would usually attach to the OE air box and supply filtered air to the SAI. As the SAI injects air into the exhaust and not the engine itself, i don't think the fact it is unfiltered will be a problem, although someone else may know otherwise.

3. The dipstick tube cracking is a common fault and they are cheap and easy to replace. There are guides on here as to how to replace it

4. They can smell quite a bit when first started, this is SAI related as well. If you can smell fuel at any other time then you probably want to get that checked out for obvious fire reasons.

5. The water system is completely sealed and shouldn't need topping up. If you need to top yours up then i'd suggest you have got a leak somewhere. Maybe park the car somewhere dry and let her tick over until up to temp while you look for drips. Obviously the pressure increases as the temp goes up, so leaks will be most evident when she is hot. It's probably nothing major, a split hose or loose clamp etc... If not then it could be the seal on your water pump failing, some people have had issues with them, even on genuine parts.

Last edited:

eddie_cupra

Mar 12, 2015
Berkshire
on the SAI, i guess you have 1.8t? (not Cupra r). Do you get a farting sound with it? Really common for them to split slightly due to the aluminium rivets holding them together stretching/heads wearing. There;s a some great how to's on the ukmkiv forum. Easy fix but quite fiddly

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.