What's your car washing routine?

JamesP1992

Aug 19, 2016
Do you use snow foam?
Wax?
Polish?
Double bucket?

I have read a lot of different ways to do it, so curious to know what you guys do!

Reactions: Compo1

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Every month or two month procedure

Snowfoam as a pre wash

Wash with shampoo two bucket
method

Dry

Apply polish

Apply sealant

Apply wax

1 x weekly procedure

Snowfoam

Shampoo two bucket method

Dry

Apply wax

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There’s no official right or wrong way. The method I use;
  • Snow foam and leave to dwell.
  • Fill three buckets (with grit guards fitted) - 3BM; the third for the wheels.
  • Wash wheels - dedicated wheel mitt, and wheel woolies for the wheel barrels / brake callipers.
  • Change rinse bucket water. Rinse car.
  • Wash car - lambswool wash mitt - start at top and work down.
  • Rinse with open ended hose to ‘sheet’ the water off.
  • Dry - using a combination of warm air blower and double thickness drying towels.
  • Apply tyre dressing to tyres.
Reapply wax or sealant every 5-6 months. Full decontamination and machine polish, followed by sealant and wax every couple of years.

Reactions: JamesP1992

JamesP1992

Aug 19, 2016
Every month or two month procedure

Snowfoam as a pre wash

Wash with shampoo two bucket
method

Dry

Apply polish

Apply sealant

Apply wax

1 x weekly procedure

Snowfoam

Shampoo two bucket method

Dry

Apply wax

Do you jet wash prior to snow foam and then jet wash snow foam off before shampoo?

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Rinse with a hose
Wash with MF sponge thing (Inc doorshuts, underbonnet and petrol flap)
Rinse again
Dry with drying aid and large towel
Spray wheels with wheel cleaner
Leave to dwell
Clean wheels
Dry wheels and any overspray
Apply spray sealant
Buff off
Apply Tyre dressing

All in all takes about 30-60 mins
If the wheels are particularly bad it takes longer, if not then I can be done in 30mins.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
a 'normal' wash probably every 2-3 weeks. 2 bucket method etc.

Twice a year a layer of wax and also a wheels off clean. Iron X or similar on the wheels and then sealed.

Once a year it gets a proper wash, clay, polish, wax. Did this a few weeks back, took about 12 hours.

phate101101

Oct 6, 2015
What pressure washer are people using? I want to get one but also don't want to spend extra money on something that's overkill. (sorry to slightly hijack but seems relevant!)

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
What pressure washer are people using? I want to get one but also don't want to spend extra money on something that's overkill. (sorry to slightly hijack but seems relevant!)
Nilfisk C120 had it years and does a lot more than car washing.

Reactions: SRGTD

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
My Cleaning Routine

Every Friday
Snow Foam Wheels allow it to dwell and then agitate with a wheel woolie and rinse.
Snow Foam the whole car and rinse.
Two Bucket Wash.
Then Gyeon Wet Coat one panel at a time and rinse, same for the wheels.
Dry with a soft drying towel.

Once a Month
Remove Wheels Korrosol wash and rinse.Seal front and back with Megs 16. Yeah ive 5 tins of the stuff :drool:
Two Bucket Wash.
Wax with Megs 16

You dont want to know my Yearly but short story Engine Bay and behind all the splash guards.

Reactions: JamesP1992

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Nilfisk C120 had it years and does a lot more than car washing.
I also have a Nilfisk (I think it’s the C120 or maybe a C110). Had it a good few years now - no nonsense pressure washer that’s been faultless in operation.

I bought a Nilfisk rather than a Karcher, as the research I’d done at the time suggested the build quality of Nilfisk pressure washers was better than Karcher; e.g. Nilfisk pressure washers have a metal pump whereas Karcher pressures washers have a plastic pump.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I bought a Nilfisk rather than a Karcher, as the research I’d done at the time suggested the build quality of Nilfisk pressure washers was better than Karcher; e.g. Nilfisk pressure washers have a metal pump whereas Karcher pressures washers have a plastic pump.

Exactly the reason i bought Nilfisk, as with all pressure washers though in winter weather remember to drain it to stop freezing always blast a bit of antifreeze in it for good measure.

JamesP1992

Aug 19, 2016
I also have a Nilfisk (I think it’s the C120 or maybe a C110). Had it a good few years now - no nonsense pressure washer that’s been faultless in operation.

I have the 110 (got it for £40 on Prime Day!) and its not let me down so far, car cleaned, patio cleaned, windows cleaned well worth the money IMO.

JamesP1992

Aug 19, 2016
My Cleaning Routine

Every Friday
Snow Foam Wheels allow it to dwell and then agitate with a wheel woolie and rinse.
Two Bucket Wash.
Then Gyeon Wet Coat one panel at a time and rinse, same for the wheels.

Once a Month
Remove Wheels Korrosol wash and rinse.Seal front and back with Megs 16. Yeah ive 5 tins of the stuff :drool:
Two Bucket Wash.
Wax with Megs 16

You dont want to know my Yearly but short story Engine Bay and behind all the splash guards.

Sounds like a solid routine, what snow foam do you use?

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
I wash car weekly have a pressure washer cant be bothered setting it up when washing car,
detar car monthly and add a coat of fk 1000p after it looks ok to me
Good hose down then wash meguiars gold class shampoo.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Spray the wheels with a detergent spray then clean with a mitt and detergent in a bucket. Blast dirt off the bodywork, then wash with Meguiars and a lambswool mitt. Then blow dry with a leaf blower and then chamois.
Meguiars wax every 3 - 4 months.
I'm waiting to try Meguiars hybrid spray wax, but I might try Turtle Wax seal 'n shine in the meantime.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I have a nilfisk pressure washer, great bit of kit. When I was searching for a new washer I was put off Karcher by the amount for sale as spares or repairs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.