wheel alignment toe in/out camber

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Right.

Just noticed that the inside edge of my front tyres are now bald. Just the inside edge is worn the outer 3/4 still has approx 5-6 mm of tread left.

I bought the car in November 2011 and i estimate I've covered approx 3k -3.5k miles in it so far.

Is this a camber, toe in/out setting issue or general alignment.

In the circumstances would you:

Take it back to the dealer and get them to fix the alignment issue and get them to contribute towards the cost of tyres.

Or

just take it somewhere and get the wheel alignment settings checked over and buy new tyres.

Must admit Im pissed off a little this morning over it.
When i got the car it had 4 new pirelli p rossos on it and now i need new front tyres after just 5 months.

Not happy either driving round on tyres that are bald for about a 2 inch wide from the inside edge.

Dave S

Jan 7, 2012
Norn Iron
Seems a common issue with these cars. Had a nightmare getting mine sorted and still not 100%.

My advice is to go and have a 4 wheel laser alignment done and hope that there is enough adjustment to fix the issue.

If its the camber the tyre will have a smooth finish on the inner edge where as the toe gives it more of a rubbed finish. I had camber and toe issues with mine.

tire-wear-patterns.jpg

Last edited:

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Dave S,

Thanks for your reply mate and the handy pictogram.

The inside edge of the front tyres are smooth (ish) and then from the middle to the outer edge, the tread depth looks like it getting deeper, so from the picture above it appears to be a camber issue.

I'll take it tomorrow to a garage and get it checked over and buy new tyres.

looks like its time for Michelin Pilot Sport 3's!

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
seems to be normal o the Leon factory chuck them out without proper alignment mine was awful front and rear camber and toe was a mile out thankfully I went to a good 4 wheel alignment place and they sorted it out spot on now :)

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
seems to be normal o the Leon factory chuck them out without proper alignment mine was awful front and rear camber and toe was a mile out thankfully I went to a good 4 wheel alignment place and they sorted it out spot on now :)

Mine is fine, never been touched. Whenever I've had a full alignment test done on other cars I've never been able to get them right, but maybe I'm to fussy.

Frined of mine with the old contrapsion used to get them spot on and they used to stay that way. . . progress. . .

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Going to pop down the main dealer at 8am in morning at complain. See if they'll sort out the alignment for free. If you don't ask you don't get.

See how i go on tomoz.

I really want Michelin ps3's on.

National tyres are doing a deal on Avon zz3's. Buy 1 get 1 half price. 225/45/17 91Y

Avon any good?

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

National tyres are doing a deal on Avon zz3's. Buy 1 get 1 half price. 225/45/17 91Y

Avon any good?

I've never driven on a ZZ3, its an old tyre now, lots of RS Focus guys rate them, not for me as I don't rate a 'v' tread pattern in the wet, it'll have stronger sidewalls than the PS3, produce more noise, and won't last as long, I'd sooner have a Dunlop, Kumho or my prefered Yoko's. . .

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Going to pop down the main dealer at 8am in morning at complain. See if they'll sort out the alignment for free. If you don't ask you don't get.

See how i go on tomoz.

Avon any good?

In my experience the ZZ3 are really grippy in the dry and are OK in the wet. Overall a decent tyre. Wear was a little quicker than I would've liked on the fronts, but that could just be down to my right foot :happy:

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
I would most defo get the wheel alignment checked you'd be surprised how easy it is to knock it out, as for avon tyres there not the worst out there but they wouldnt be a patch on the michelins smoothness etc...but at the end of the day its all down to cash

Deleted member 74601

Seems everyone has alignment issues, even with new factory cars.

I bought mine with 3.5k on and bought new tyres around 6k, I had the alignment checked anyway and it was pulling slightly to the left. After they aligned them it felt much better and I gained a couple of mpg. The guy did me a deal and did alignment for £20 but gave me a 12 month guarantee, so every 3 months I can go back and have it checked free of charge.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Thanks guys.

David cook SEAT in chadderton wanted to charge me £70 for laser alignment and couldn't fit me in till Thursday.

Told em to do one!.

Going to national tyres this afternoon to get it done.

Tyre choice is going to be either:

Michelin ps3's
Yokohama
dunlop
Continental

Don't want pirelli p zero rossos again as the road noise is a bit much.

Last edited:

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
The wheels were 5 degrees out at the front and 2 degrees at the rear.

Front tyres had 0.1mm depth left on inside edge 2.0mm depth in the centre and 5mm depth on outside edge.

Rears have got 6mm depth all way across the full Tyre.

Rears have gone on the front and new tyres gone on the rear.

Got a free retest for alignment. Going back in a fortnight.

Cost me £380 for new tyres and 4 wheel alignment

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The guy did me a deal and did alignment for £20 but gave me a 12 month guarantee, so every 3 months I can go back and have it checked free of charge.

I'm guessing thats just the front alignment, as most places charge £70-80 for the four wheel alignment, with no guarantee. . .

Sep 17, 2011
I had this problem and had to wait extra time when I bought it to have it aligned. Got the car late in the day so was dark and didn't realise there was anything wrong with tyres till next day at home (partly my fault tho I know)
When I went back to the seat dealer to complain they wouldnt do f all about it and said it was road legal (when I had it confirmed by kwik fit that it wasn't) blade Bristol seat sneaky buggers the lot of them!
Hope u get it fixed fella

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Hope u get it fixed fella

i did get it fixed, on Saturday ended up £380 lighter for 4 wheel alignment and 2 new tyres.
was 5 degrees out at the front and 2 on the rear

got Bridgestone Potenza S001's on it now

ive noticed an incease in MPG return since i got the alignment corrected

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
These are my 3rd lot of PS3s btw, £300 fitted a pair from Kwik Fit Online.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise