wheel arch vent for IC

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
there are 12 torx screws, one of which is particularly hard to reach! (the top most one)
it took about 2 hours. but maybe i'm just a slow worker:redface:

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
no parts required. the only cost is your time

you basically take out the wheel arch liner, cut some slits in it behind the intercooler, and shape them a bit by heating the plastic with a hairdryer

Last edited:

Jon@VAGWORX

You can do this mod by ordering wheel arch vents from an Audi TT, and just cut and rivet them inplace. Havn't got order numbers or price as i did them the same as Jerry, and have just been told you can do it this way. Was really easy and look pukka (not that you can see much!), took me about two hours too (but did clean my brakes while i had the wheels off;) )

Jon@VAGWORX

Doh you beat me:( Must type quicker:redface:

IMHO i think Jerry's way looks much better;)

And it's free:D

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
i agree!
i thought the riveted on plastic vent looked really naff!

if you could get a nice square plastic vent i think it would look a lot better

prc

Sooty Meister
Originally posted by andyb
I'm sure this is asking for SPT

Use a vent from an extractor fan or greenhouse from B&Q perhaps.

Not knowing that much about Diesels, would mine have an intercooler?

Yep Andy. All TDI's come with them. Your's is actually located in the same spot as on the petrol leon cupra (think it's the same IC as well). We've done a couple of these mods here, and it works quite well.

Shock_Xe

Originally posted by Ap_coupe
Thankz and since i already seem daft could u also explain what VAG is? and also IHI?

Vag is short for Volkswagon (VW) how they define the brand (Seat/audi/VW/Skoda all part of the Vag Group)

IHI is a make of turbo used by jabbasport to get higher BHP out of our cars 350+bhp. Its commonly used on Impreza's as standard

mkidd

Nov 10, 2003
S.Glos
Will the extra water and dirt that gets onto the intercooler not cause some damage?

Suppose the water could be a benefit, but mud etc may have an adverse effect!

Also is there anything else in the wheel arch that could rust or be damaged by the extra water that will be thrown into it?

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
how does the "extra water" get in?

the way you shape the vent nothing is going to get in, just like on the VAG cars that already have a vent

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
this is the way i did it. it's not necessarily the "right" way
here's some pics:

1. remove wheel arch liner. there are 12 torx screws, the top one is difficult to reach. the intercooler is 8" by 8"

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.