wheel arch vent for IC

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
2. mark out an 8" by 8" area on the wheel arch liner. 6 slits would seem to be a reasonable number, so mark 6 slits in this area.

attachment.php

Last edited:

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
3. cut the slits with a scalpel. there is some reinforcing plastic strips on the back of the liner so you have to cut through them too.
get a powerfull hairdryer and hold one of the slits open with some pliers and apply heat. stop the heat but keep the slit in position until plastic has cooled. repeat on all the slits until they are angled in the style of a vent. do not bend the slits to such a degree that they rub against the wheel!

attachment.php

Last edited:

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
Does the Leon Cupra R 225 or 210 have this as standard or can it be done ... Where is the second IC on the R ?

More importantly .. has anyone done it ?

Not standard and it can be done and its behind the other arch (same location) and almost done it, a lot of bits getting sone all on one weekend soon (waiting because i dont want to have to remove them more than once)

:cheers:

Last edited:

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
going to try the manual slots, and if it is to tricky (or i muck it up) then i've seen some vent grills in B&Q that would to the job, just rivet them over the large hole.

Will get pics when doing all the bits.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Nice one. I was going to say I bet either Wickes or B&Q will supply something similar to what is required, will probably look better in the long run aswell.

Kris

ESTATE! I'm Getting Old!
Nov 21, 2003
North Essex
Visit site
As we are talking about getting better air-flow to the IC, I have noticed that the air intake at the front seams to be half covered up?
Could you not cut this bit out? You should get a 5hit load more air?
I'm going to give this a try probably at the weekend. (unless someone knows different!)

Now where did I put that Dremel?:confused:

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
If you are referring to the plastic flap (under the spot light), I removed mine months ago. Not sure if it has made a difference but obviously air is going directly to the IC not hitting the deflector bit.

Not going to bother with the vents on this car, will wait for the R ..

mkidd

Nov 10, 2003
S.Glos
Originally posted by jerry
how does the "extra water" get in?

the way you shape the vent nothing is going to get in, just like on the VAG cars that already have a vent

The motion of the wheel will surely force water through the vent wont it??

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
I had presumed it was there for a reason, like to create a more directional force of air to the IC or perhaps there are parts behind that need protected ?

mkidd

Nov 10, 2003
S.Glos
Originally posted by prc
No, unless your driving in reverse..:p

As the wheel is traveling the counter clockwise direction most water spray will be in the rear section of the arch (not front).

LOL :D
For some reason i was thinking the intercooler was located behind the wheel, not infront of it!:redface:

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
Originally posted by LEO LION R
going to try the manual slots, and if it is to tricky (or i muck it up) then i've seen some vent grills in B&Q that would to the job, just rivet them over the large hole.

Will get pics when doing all the bits.

it was my original plan to use a vent from B&Q! i actually bought one (only £3), but under close scrutiny they're extremely flimsy! very thin aluminium i think. you can get brass ones which look a bit odd.

so in the end i just went with cutting and shaping the liner.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members