"Wheel arch vents for IC" > Continued

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Referring to THIS thread, can't reply to it anymore, so thought I'd carry on like this.

Has anyone put slits into the wheel arch of their Leon to aid the IC recently, looking for pictures of the work as I am considering doing it over the Easter weekend.

Thanks.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Jake did his a while back - cut slits and bent the plastic to form louvres. He posted pics in a thread about his cold air feed.

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
cant remember how long it took but not more than an hour and a bit, was easy, just marked out where i wanted the slits to go and cut through the liner with a knife then heated it using our heat gun and flexed the louves and let each on cool.

it does not look bad but i did not make the neatest job

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
ALEX** said:
cant remember how long it took but not more than an hour and a bit, was easy, just marked out where i wanted the slits to go and cut through the liner with a knife then heated it using our heat gun and flexed the louves and let each on cool.

it does not look bad but i did not make the neatest job

So, the flap made from the cut, do you push in or pull out or does it make no difference? Did you take the liner completely off the car to do the job?

Thanks.

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
took the liner off totally, but have to be really careful not to deform it or its a git to puit back on.

i pushed the slits from the inside of the liner.

pm ur mobile number and ill go take a pic with my k700 and send it to u

jerry

Sep 30, 2003
Oxford
Visit site
Kam, sorry, i can't find my pictures of this, must have deleted them :(

There's no hard and fast rules about how to do this really. As ALEX** says, there's some reinforcement on the back of the liner which is a bit awkward. But the numbers of slits, size, spacing is really just down to your estimation. Don't make the slit too huge through or they might rub on the wheel.
I remember one of the torx screws was hard to reach too.

When you're trying to figure out which way to angle the slits, just think about the direction of rotation of the wheels when you're driving forward. With that in mind, angle the slits so that any crap flying off the wheel will deflect off the slit rather than go through the gap!

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
jerry said:
Kam, sorry, i can't find my pictures of this, must have deleted them :(

There's no hard and fast rules about how to do this really. As ALEX** says, there's some reinforcement on the back of the liner which is a bit awkward. But the numbers of slits, size, spacing is really just down to your estimation. Don't make the slit too huge through or they might rub on the wheel.
I remember one of the torx screws was hard to reach too.

When you're trying to figure out which way to angle the slits, just think about the direction of rotation of the wheels when you're driving forward. With that in mind, angle the slits so that any crap flying off the wheel will deflect off the slit rather than go through the gap!

Thanks a lot Jerry, I now have more than enough info to have a go! :D

Zamot

Jan 11, 2004
Edinburgh (Norway)
www.zamot.tk
jonathanp said:
could you use the liners from the TT or S3 as a direct replacement or do you need to trim a little?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

The reason I ask, is because I need a new wheel arch liner anyway...

(Are there vents on both sides of the S3/TT210/225 ones?)

I have a FMIC, but I would like to cool down my wheels&brakes more..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members