Wheel size

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Deleted member 103408

Can anybody explain in simple terms the difference between an 8j and a 8.5j

I have been looking at some new wheels 19" but they only do it in an 8.5j and the seller tells me these will be fine on the 280 Cupra

Tyres will be same as now 235/35

I have checked on https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=35&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=8-5&offset2=50

and it looks like they are just a bit wider, can anybody confirm if these wheels will be ok to fit and what the difference is in real world.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted member 103408

Thats good, ET On the site is showing as 38, no idea how i check what my current one is.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@theoldboy; an 8.5j wheel is 1/2” wider than an 8j wheel. The number before the “j” is the wheel width in inches.

The offset of your existing wheels should be stamped into the reverse side of one of the wheel spokes (if your current wheels are the original Seat wheels for the Cupra 280.

This website is quite useful to help determine the spec of your existing wheels;

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/seat/leon/2015/#trim-20tsi-cupra-280-eudm-276

According to this website, the wheels fitted to the Cupra 280 are either 7.5j x 18 with an offset of ET51 or 8j x 19 with an offset of 50. Assuming your existing wheels are 19” (your first post said your existing tyres are 235/35), they should have an offset of ET50, in which case fitting an 8.5j wheel with an offset of ET38 will have the following impact on clearance;

Inner face; 5.7 mm further away from the suspension strut
Outer face; will protrude a further 18.4 mm

I don’t know if the extra 18.4 mm (nearly 3/4”) ‘poke’ is likely to cause any rubbing issues as I don’t currently drive a Leon, but an offset of ET38 is a reasonably aggressive offset.

Also bear in mind that you’ll need to inform your insurer if you fit different wheels, as this is classed as a modification for insurance purposes.

Edit; you may need to click on the link to the website I posted twice. I just clicked on it to make sure it worked and the format was awful. Clicking on it a second time seemed to sort the format though.

Deleted member 103408

Thanks guys, I will talk to the wheel company at least now i understand what i am talking about

Yes Insurance company already in the loop on the changes I am making.

Deleted member 103408

Big thank you to all that helped me out, saved me ordering the wrong wheels.

All sorted now, once again it just proves you need to check and double check stuff.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.