Wheel sizes

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
Quick question; -will wheels from the Mk2 fit the Mk3?

Reason I ask is, I have winter tyres on a spare set of wheels for my Mk2, and I'm hoping to keep them if I buy a Mk3.

Jun 15, 2013
Officially not. Just bought a Mk 3 and hoped to get a set of "cheap" Mk 2 or Golf 5/6 wheels to fit my 205/55 16 winters to. Checked with dealer who confirmed the ET has changed (now 46 was 50) and although its only a small change he would not commit himself to confirming clearances would be OK.

Bought a set of steelies now, correct 46 offset at a bargain price so sorted.

LBB

As long as the car requires a smaller ET than the wheels you have you're okay for the most part. Wheel spacers are used to reduce the effective ET. However if you're looking at -10mm ET change you may have problems with no supporting centre bore. Most aftermarket alloys have a much larger centre bore than needed this isn't a massive problem but does require the machining of custom spacers. OE wheels are more challenging as they have centre bore matched wheels.

Jun 15, 2013
Wheel spacers are used to reduce the effective ET.

Don't agree. There is no way I would use wheel spacers. They are no substitute for the correct wheel. Bet your insurance company would be unhappy about their use. And don't forget that when fitted the OEM spec bolts are not threaded into the hub by the correct amount.

Would not use such a bodge on any car let alone a brand new one.

LBB

So much of a bodge that some car manufactures have have OE part numbers listed for wheel spacers?

You can't guarantee that the OE wheel bolts will be the correct length with different OE wheels even if everything else is correct.

Insurance companies are fine with spacers as long as you tell them about them.

Last edited by a moderator: