Where can you search for cars for sale online?

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
I hope this is not against the rules of the forum, but it is in the best of interests.

I am struggling to find a black (or red or white) Leon 1.6 SE for sale for a price in my budget of really only £2000 maximum. Im fairly flexible on mileage aslong as the cars in and has been kept in good nick.

The thing is I have run out of sites to search on.

I've used Autotrader, eBay and Piston Heads, Iv looked on some other sites but they just seem to be listing mainly extracted from autotrader.

Does anyone know of any good sites i could try? that aren't just replica listing from the three sites iv already searchs.

Thanks!

xr2turbo

Nov 30, 2009
norfolk
nightmare aint it, im after a car fo rmy mum and nothin doin

try gumtree for local cars, local search on ebay, autotrader and adtrader may turn up somethin but cars are bad atm, i cant sell my V plate fiesta, cant find another car (3k ish)
ive found a couple of breakers for myself tho

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
nightmare aint it, im after a car fo rmy mum and nothin doin

try gumtree for local cars, local search on ebay, autotrader and adtrader may turn up somethin but cars are bad atm, i cant sell my V plate fiesta, cant find another car (3k ish)
ive found a couple of breakers for myself tho

il give gumtree and adtrader a shot maybe friday advertiser too, but changes so quickly.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
this sounds really dumb but what do you mean my searching locally? as in local advertiser newspapers? i actually gave up them (wealden advertiser and friday advertiser) a while ago as there was barely ever any cars in there let alone a leon especially the one im ater.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
The 1.6 engine is not really best suited to the Leon... I'd be looking for a 1.9 TDI90 if possible, just a bit more torque to pull it along

wow! right erm... I don really know what to say I find what you have just said VERY interesting. I suppose I should tell you my reasons for looking for a Leon, and maybe you could give me some advise, if thass ok worth you?

Ok I have a mate, who is a couple months younger than me, good mate, same course at college, know him for just over 2 and a half years know. He know's ALLOT more about cars than me, I'll admit. And he's got his head screwed on fairly well when it comes to motors in general - he's not a genuis but never the less admirabley knowledgeable. He has been driving since August 2008, Iv been driving since Feb 2009. I think he thinks he's a good driver, I personally think hes a bit too cocky, but still a pretty good driver, I am frequently in his car to college and back so I probally know his driving better than most.

Anyway, more to the point he has a Golf mk 4 1.6 03 (16v SE) basically the same car as a Leon 1.6 16V SE. I am not a huge car fan (more into motorbike non-luxury car dont really do it for me) and only really like the Seat Leon (every one has a Golf!) He spent some time with his cousin who is MINTED, drives the sort of cars on top gear (top of the range BMW's, ferraris, a buggati sometimes [not all his but between him, his mates and his mates luxury car rental company there a fair choice if you catch my drift), and one his couins friends told my mate...

"a 1.6 is probally the BEST car to learn how to be a GOOD driver in"

... hence why Im keen to get a 1.6 Leon

{sorry that was so long - just wanted you to understand the full picture}

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I understand

Bit vague though...

1.6 Saxo, fun FWD learning (and death for a new driver)
1.6 MX5, fun RWD learning (and death for a new driver)

1.6 Leon, that's a nice car to get about in. But will drink fuel to get it going. and it's heavy.

I'd accept that he drives nice cars, but may not be the most objective

Plus, all the best drivers learned in 1.4 Ibiza's ;)

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
I understand

Bit vague though...

1.6 Saxo, fun FWD learning (and death for a new driver)
1.6 MX5, fun RWD learning (and death for a new driver)

1.6 Leon, that's a nice car to get about in. But will drink fuel to get it going. and it's heavy.

I'd accept that he drives nice cars, but may not be the most objective

Plus, all the best drivers learned in 1.4 Ibiza's ;)

Glad that time spent typing that message wasnt a complete failure. :lol:

I understand the point about the 1.6 saxo/mx5 being fun but death to new drivers, but to be honest Im only really interested in the Leon. and to be honest its a prett practicall car, fair boot space, fair amount of room in side for passengers too. nice shape and as you said a nice car to get about it.

the point about the nice cars is that he's got all the cars now if he smashes a car up he just goes and gets a new one, so driving like a tit does not worry him as he can afford to write the car off, so essential to some extent he's learnt how to drive a car in a way that he probally understands how a car reacts know as hes tried everything. So for him to say to a more Average Joe "a 1.6 is a good car to learn in" is probally said as a good piece of advice.

as for the 1.4 ibiza - well lets just say im not an ibiza fan :p and Ive heard a 1.4 (like an ibiza/polo etc) isnt realy as quick off the mark as a 1.6 so getting in and out of roundabouts is not as swift.

PLEASE NOT BY SAYING I WANT TO BE A GOOD DRIVER DOES NOT MEAN A TIT OF A DRIVER! :D

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Not sure about these comments about the 1.6.

Seems a willing engine and it's impressively quiet. You can't even tell it's on at idle.

0-60 is 10.9 which is faster than the Mk2 1.6.

Wouldn't touch the 90TDI. I've driven the 110 version and that has a lot of pull, but the specs on the 90bhp are sluggish.

Back to the original question, 1.6SE's are very rare and you're £2000 budget doesn't help.

You should be able to get an S with 80,000 miles for £2000.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Not sure about these comments about the 1.6.

Seems a willing engine and it's impressively quiet. You can't even tell it's on at idle.

0-60 is 10.9 which is faster than the Mk2 1.6.

Wouldn't touch the 90TDI. I've driven the 110 version and that has a lot of pull, but the specs on the 90bhp are sluggish.

Back to the original question, 1.6SE's are very rare and you're £2000 budget doesn't help.

You should be able to get an S with 80,000 miles for £2000.

thanks for your contribution? what car do you roll in mate?

i partically wasnt the SE as its the one with the rear electric windows and the electric heating controls in the dash rather than the horrible twisty heating n air flow knobs in the S.

I know it doesnt help with my budget :(

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yep, the SE is nicer but you don't miss the luxuries because the rest of the car is so nice! I had a lease car in 2001 which was an SE, but the air con works just as well as the climate control.

I bought a platinum grey 1.6S on an 02 plate for £2800 the other week. 62,000 miles on the clock with full service history and 4 new tyres. It's in mint condition so I'm pretty pleased with it.

You're probably best off just taking a look at a couple just to get a feel for what to look for. A colour you're not necessarily looking for can look different in the flesh.

These two look good near you:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../price-to/3000/page/1/sort/priceasc&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../price-to/3000/page/1/sort/priceasc&logcode=p

Last edited:

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Yep, the SE is nicer but you don't miss the luxuries because the rest of the car is so nice! I had a lease car in 2001 which was an SE, but the air con works just as well as the climate control.

I just think the knobs look a bit shity haha - makes me laff cos i sound such a moron being so picky,

I bought a platinum grey 1.6S on an 02 plate for £2800 the other week. 62,000 miles on the clock with full service history and 4 new tyres. It's in mint condition so I'm pretty pleased with it.

I bet mate, I think something like that would tempt me!

You're probably best off just taking a look at a couple just to get a feel for what to look for. A colour you're not necessarily looking for can look different in the flesh.

and your probally right mate.

To be honest I do just need the darn car, can always do a bigger update than I was indeeding 6months down the like as in from any colour 1.6S to a black 1.6SE rather than an older, higher milage black SE to a newer lower mileage black SE.

where did you find your car mate?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.