Where have the LED bulbs gone?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So, I'm down a DRL. No worries, I'll just grab a new set. But seriously, I can't find anywhere that sells em anymore. All the usual favourites are out of stock of every type and colour of LED bulb.

Is this something to do with the new MOT rules?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Am I going to fail with my LED's on Tuesday lol forgot about that.

I hope this isn't the case... you check the Bay? that's where I got mine from.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Brilliant, let me know. LOL. I would assume if it's a fail, any decent garage would throw in a cheap set of halogens and put your LEDs in the glovebox and pass it. I've checked HIDs direct and HIDs 4U. Just emailed Autobulbs direct to ask when they are back in stock. There's a couple of sets left for sale on ebay, but I usually try to go back to places where I've bought from before so I know what they're like. But worrying that all 3 sites are out of all DRL LED bulbs.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ooo yeah, I like those. I've got the older style ones with the exposed circuit board. Don't know whether to buy some now or wait till you fail your MOT. LOL.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That's so not funny lol who knows if I tell the truth for the MOT after that comment haha

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, I wouldn't say anything. Chances are they probably won't notice. But... if it makes you feel any better, I'll email my garage in the morning and ask them their take on it.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So technically they are a fail. But... as with most MOT items, down to the conscience of the individual. Considering that there's such a variation on factory lighting / LEDs these days you'd have to be pretty good to tell what is factory fitted and isn't. So in conclusion, I've ordered the bulbs you linked, cheers.

So... you done your fogs yet?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yeah I best take them cakes when I drop it off.

I may even mention it to him so I know, maybe just swap them out before he takes it in save the hassle as I have the old bulbs still.

As for fogs I haven't, i'll let you test them out and let me know haha

Your garage is good for replying lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I may have to give the fogs a go. A quick search suggests FL is HB4. But manual says HB3. So not sure which to go for. Yeah, they are pretty good for stuff like that.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I may have to give the fogs a go. A quick search suggests FL is HB4. But manual says HB3. So not sure which to go for. Yeah, they are pretty good for stuff like that.
I had that exact issue when I looked so i didn't bother lol just making sure I wasn't being a tard lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, it also said the bulbs twist out on facelift. But they are L shape. So that doesn't really make sense... unless you only get the bulbs and not the connectors shown. Oh... wait .. what an idiot, I can see the tabs where they lock in.
s-l500.jpg

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
My fog's were a mild pain in the ass to get out when I tried to get access to the horn (turns out you need to take the bumper off to change the horns lol) so hopefully as I have taken them out already it should be easier lol I don't remember the connector but I can take mine out and show you if you want later lol they are the only lights left I don't like

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Oh... in what way?
I think it was still on factory bulbs so it had never been moved in 8 years lol little bit of wiggle the jiggle pin and some swear words and it was free.

Used this as it's different between Pre Fl and FL, has some bulb info as well

There are no screws holding the lamp in place on the FL cars. Instead they use a twist-lock system. To release, twist the lamp so the adjuster screw is at the bottom of the slit in the bumper and then withdraw the lamp. Refitting is the opposite.

Finally, the FL fog lamp uses a different bulb (despite by FL handbook saying H3...). It's an HB4 bulb (sometimes referred to as HB4 9006) on the FL cars, and this just twists to release from the lamp.

From here - https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/replacing-fog-lamp-bulb-in-mk2-leon.109160/

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ye, that's the guide I was reading. And the bulbs are actually cheaper than the drls!

Might give it a try... just need to get my mojo back. Got an oil / filter change to do. Fuel filter. But I've got real lazy over the summer... I even have the parts boxed ready on the shelf.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ye, that's the guide I was reading. And the bulbs are actually cheaper than the drls!

Might give it a try... just need to get my mojo back. Got an oil / filter change to do. Fuel filter. But I've got real lazy over the summer... I even have the parts boxed ready on the shelf.
I'm happy as I already have DRL's lol does this count towards your final price you've spent on the car?

Get the Fogs ordered and just hit it at the weekend... You hire a ramp out or do you suffer with your own jacks? I always struggle to get the car high enough to actually do anything lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Nope, that's a consumable. I don't count bulbs, oil, wipers, tyres.

I've got a 3 ton hydraulic jack and axle stands. It's a bit nerve wracking having the front end so high in the air. I usually have the stands up about 5 notches. Which looks really dodgy. But I leave the jack up and under but not load baring just to give me extra time to get out if needs be.

I'd do it this weekend, but am concerned when I have the engine stripped down on Monday, my brand new expensive oil will be making it's way down the drain.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Nope, that's a consumable. I don't count bulbs, oil, wipers, tyres.

I've got a 3 ton hydraulic jack and axle stands. It's a bit nerve wracking having the front end so high in the air. I usually have the stands up about 5 notches. Which looks really dodgy. But I leave the jack up and under but not load baring just to give me extra time to get out if needs be.

I'd do it this weekend, but am concerned when I have the engine stripped down on Monday, my brand new expensive oil will be making it's way down the drain.
I've got the 2 ton jack and axle stands but I cannot seem to get it that high, what do you put on your jack lift bit to protect your sills? I use these rubber pucks which seem to work but after two lifts I wouldn't use them again lol I'm hoping you have a magical place to lift it from lol

Don't think I've made it past notch 2 on the stands without nearly poo'ing

I'll leave the oil changes etc to a garage lol I may not be saving money doing that way but I know it's done haha

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members