Where is my brake light switch?

arran

Jan 3, 2018
I got an EPC light and my car went into limp mode. I read that it's likely a brake switch problem, so I've bought a new one but can't locate where it goes. There is absolutely nothing around the pedal. Not a sausage is attached where it would usually be. Any ideas?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is now on the brake master cylinder!

Fortunately it is now a lot more reliable, but when this circuit causes problems it is normally a wiring issue.

One question, how do you know that the engine going into limp mode is being caused by a brake switch being faulty, if you have just read that this can be the problem, then hopefully you have been reading about earlier versions of Ibiza/Polo/Fabia which all had a switch on the brake pedal?

Edit:- sorry this is MK4 section, so unless your car is a very late 6L Ibiza, it should be mounted on the brake pedal or on a bracket above it, I've forgotten have you bought a genuine latest version from VW Group - you should have, and that version gets fitted the brake pedal up I think.

arran

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply. Im not sure if mine is a 6L. I just know its a 61 plate. I thought i'd try to change the brake switch because i'd read that it is usually the fault when you get an intermittent EPC light due to a failsafe in the electronics of the braking system. Assuming it is a late version of the 6L, would the fault likely be something else? The part i bought looks like a typical switch rather than a sensor and I just bought it from a generic parts dealer that used my number plate to check what i needed. I'd assume I need something different if it's mounted on the master cylinder

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As your car is a 61 plate it must be a MK5 Ibiza 6J and my comments above refer to where you will find the brake switch, though as I've suggested, you really need to scan that car for logged faults to make sure that it is a brake switch issue.

So, my original blurb suits your car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.