which bulb? Instrument panel

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Hey, just a quickie before I take it all apart and realise I don't have the right bulbs.

Does anyone know the correct bulb which illuminates the rev counter?

Hellfrauds or Stealership jobby? Hayne's doesn't say, and I've failed with the mighty *search* facility.

Thanks in avance.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
think it's a part you can get from halfords, it is the same (single) bulb that goes across them all I think with a coloured filter.

easy to remove the binacle to have a look - just need a short phillips driver

EvilKinevil

Mar 24, 2004
Scotland
dealer only as halfords don't sell the right ones
they are 99p each from a local vw dealer. They are clear, it is the clockset which has the orange ilter in them. Made by a company called osram. there are only 2 of this type on the back of the clockset.

to remove clockset, remove 2 screws in plastic liner, remove 2 further screws at sides of clockset. lift clockset out, reach behind clockset and remove large block terminal (squeeze and pull) then pull the clockset through the steering wheel. Be gentle with the clockset and watch not to scrape the airbag on the top. It is a tight fit through the wheel but it does fit. Otherweise you can remove the steering wheel (requires 15-30 minutes with battery disconnected before removeing airbag) 2 screws either side of back of airbag then a large socket to remove wheel itself

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Cheers all.

I can confirm my instrument panel doesn't fit through my steering wheel, I don't fancy forcing it and damaging the leather on the wheel etc. The facia to the instrument panel can come out though, teased me the rest would lol

The models without the airbag can easily get the instrument panel out, but it doesn't take 2mins to remove the airbag and steering wheel tbh. Make sure you're earthed aswell when taking the airbag out, don't want a static spark setting things off.

Ta!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I got my bulbs from my local motorist discount store still working to this day! :lol: i have a 16v with a airbag in the steering wheel its does come out fairly easy to be honest if you put the wiper stalk down and get the clocks at the right angle it comes out behind the wheel if that makes sense lol, i found the hardest bit at 1st was trying to connect the plug back in as you cant see it.!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.