Which disk breaks and pads?

frazpot

Sep 27, 2011
York
Hi people,

I need to replace disks and pads and I'm not sure which I need.

Its an ibiza estate 12 plate, 1.2 tsi. I've put the reg in euro car parts and it's come back with 256mm diameter for the front and 230mm rear. Does that sound right? I presume that I should buy the corresponding brand pads.

On that I've no idea if there is a good or a bad brand? Any recommendations?

I've looked at some YouTube videos, but wondered if there was a guide on here someone could point me to for fitting?
Thanks very much

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well, my plan is always to work out what "bits" were fitted to all the cars I'm likely to need to work on, and the way my family work, that includes replacing brake discs and pads as and when necessary.

So, to that end, I ask all my different VW Group dealerships for a copy of "Car Data" as that lists all (or in the case of SEAT many/most) options fitted at build, that does include customer selected extra cost options and standard "due to model variant" options, so that should normally include brake types.

Further to that or in addition to that, I look up proper VW Group parts listings to make sure that I know exactly which version of brakes are fitted.

After saying all that, what ECP is offering might just be correct as SEAT and Skoda are a bit shy about when they start fitting the bigger front brakes.

Maybe post up a picture of the front callipers taken through the alloys as that normally helps pin the disc size down, I'd expect that the front callipers will be some variation/evolution of what was called and marked FS111.

Edit:- as for guides to fitting front and rear brakes, you really should know quite a bit about brakes before trying to change things as they are a safety critical item for not only you, but other road users - maybe spend some cash on a Haynes manual which is available for this car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members