• 1.8T running 270bhp

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • VR6 blinged up...

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
vr6 mate - 1.8 is too common and just doesnt seem to impress much anymore. I love em, but vr6 just sounds nicer in both name and actual noise :)

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Pete, like I've been telling you for ages...

VR6!!!!

As has been said, you could always supercharge it!!

Just imagine the sound of that with a bling cone filter... (and then consider the loss of power from hot air, so leave that bit for shows ;))

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Well the VR6 will be cheaper for sure. The wiring and plumbing doesn't bother me as I doubt it's that much different either way. But a 20vt is gonna cost £1500+ a complete VR6 golf can be bought for that much.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Doesn't matter really - it's not like the car will be the daily driver....... less electrogubbins to go wrong too.

Glenn

Oct 15, 2001
Visit site
I've got a Corrado VR6 in addition to my Ibiza so I've got plenty of experience with both engines. My advice based on the assumption that it won't be used as a trackday car is :

If you want much more than 200bhp, get the 1.8T. Getting a VR6 to 250bhp+ will cost you £2K onwards using a supercharger and it's not plug 'n' play - the owner of the best supercharged Corrado VR6 is a mate, I've driven it plenty & know all the pitfalls. You can get the same, more consistent, power from a remapped K0-4 1.8T with better low-mid range torque. If you want to go over 300bhp, both will cost about the same to do properly but the VR6 won't need internals, other than a CR drop, until about 350bhp+. For your apparent purposes, get the VR6 with the intention of leaving it N/A, fit & forget. If you want to mess about with it , you'll get better bang-per-buck from the 1.8T.

If you go for a VR6, try & get a 24v 2.8 from a V6 4-Motion if possible and use an 02A gearbox for FWD. If a 12v is all you can manage, try to get a '95-on 2.8 with OBD2 management. Don't waste your time with the 2.9 Corrado ABV engine - the extra 69cc isn't worth it and the late 2.8 are just as powerful with much better management. If you get the 12v VR6, while it's out of the car, drop the gearbox off and replace the timing chain tensioners and guide rails - the parts aren't that much but the labour stacks up if done later when in the car.

In all cases use the stock ECU, aftermarket management will just add unnecessary cost.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.