Which FMIC for my APR Stage + Golf??

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Looking at various comments on here I think I will put a Forge item of some description either the Octavia/Cupra R/ Golf Cores dependant on what Forge say about their respective capabilities.

Songman; did you need to cut much of the bumper??
With the exchange rate being exceptional the APR unit's price is comparible. The only problem on the Golf is the fitment for UK cars mean lot's of cutting of the bumper.

I had the APR FMIC on my mk 1 Leon in 2003 - Star fitted it - they did have to trim some of the inner bumper, but nothing you could see from the outside.
It is a very nice piece of kit.
The Jabba FMIC was done at the same time as the IHI -it is bigger[taller] than the APR and again it fits within the LCR bumper without any obvious signs of anything being altered.
I don`t know if you have less room on the Golf ,but in any case, you can`t scrimp on the intercooler if you want to maximise the potential of that St 3 kit

I`m sure that APR do a custom fitting kit for the Golf - I`d go for that, especially with the present exchange rate! :funk:
They will have sussed it out for sure!

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Which FMIC did you decide to go for Ian?

Mostly likely Forge for OE look.....Awesome have already done another APR Stage 3 conversion on another Golf which was also running off the shelf Forge item.
From dyno logs it produces a very smooth delivery better than my original set up using the Neuspeed item which is far too small for this kit.

Other kit is the Allard item which uses a very large Core. The pipework is totally different and is less discrete. I'm sure it's more efficient but who's to know...there seems no data from these FMIC's on the B/T kits.

Another bonus is the price of the Forge FMIC's available at Awesome at the moment.

Ian

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Are you going for a single pass one?

Well the aforementioned APR converted Golf had the latest double pass item.

This apparently worked very well. I know the Octavia and Cupra R items fit.

I will contact Forge today and discuss.

Ian

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Mostly likely Forge for OE look.....Awesome have already done another APR Stage 3 conversion on another Golf which was also running off the shelf Forge item.
From dyno logs it produces a very smooth delivery better than my original set up using the Neuspeed item which is far too small for this kit.

Other kit is the Allard item which uses a very large Core. The pipework is totally different and is less discrete. I'm sure it's more efficient but who's to know...there seems no data from these FMIC's on the B/T kits.

Another bonus is the price of the Forge FMIC's available at Awesome at the moment.

Ian

Allards mk4 kit, based on my original I had from them uses undersize pipework IMHO.. smaller diameter than OE 210/225 motors... not good. Big core yes, poorly sized pipework

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Allards mk4 kit, based on my original I had from them uses undersize pipework IMHO.. smaller diameter than OE 210/225 motors... not good. Big core yes, poorly sized pipework

Noted Bill......just waiting on a reply back from Forge on their twin core item.

Thanks

Ian

Dec 9, 2002
CARDIFF
Visit site
What you guys need is something simular to my set up ,a big core like Bills golfy allard one but with larger better flowing short route pipework.Ian did you have a look at my set up at combe?The guy that made mine was great,Bob at Concept racing in Hereford,i cannot recommend him enough.:cheers:Andy

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
have you contacted Pace products i think they might have changed their name now but my FMIC is perfect had no problems with it at all

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Well I've opted for the Forge twin pass system which is already prove.
D-Sport magazine are running this kit with the APR Stage 3+ on a Golf and have had impressive results.
Awesome have tried one on another APR Stage 3 car they have built with good results on the dyno. It also gives the car a nice stock appearance.

Ian

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Hopefully get my car back with new Forge FMIC and a new catch tank.

I've also had a new set of inconel studs, ARP nuts fitted to my exhaust to turbo connection with a 'special' gasket to seal this connection. I suffered a blow at this connection which unfortunately warped the face so a new manifold is being fitted.

All ready for next years trip to the Ring.

Ian

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I've also had a new set of inconel studs, ARP nuts fitted to my exhaust to turbo connection with a 'special' gasket to seal this connection. I suffered a blow at this connection which unfortunately warped the face so a new manifold is being fitted.

Ian

Was yours different to the TT which was the Australian test mule held as the one which tested the manifold and RHD kit?

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Bill...the TT in Australia suffered the same issues I believe as it was discovered that different studs and gasket was the way forward. My gasket blew at Combe..pah!! This then caused distortion of the manifold connection to the turbo.

APR were approached re the inconel studs but the ones I have ordered came from Australia. This is something we knew about and were going to be fitting retrospective at a later stage.
You know Bill as usual trackdays expose these areas more than road use.
It gets well over 800c temps at this location. Again the catch tank I decided to fit to improve the breather system.
I'm now awaiting the dyno results with the Forge item to asceratin the flow rate. The Neuspeed item was holding back my application the pipework was too small as was the core.

Ian

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I was just thinking something similar - warranty doesn't stop things like that from happening, but at least it means it gets sorted. Assuming that APR are sorting it?

I'm very interested in the dyno results...

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
thank god for warranty then Ian

Yep service provide by Awesome has been superb......no questions or quibbling they've just got on with things. New manifold has been fitted and the old item sent back. The new Iconel studs and gasket and ARP fastners should do the trick.

Awesome have also re manufactured the intercooler piping and are replacing the piping with Samco hoses.

I should be collecting next week with my new plots being measured on the RR.

I know from my previous plots that there was restriction on the intercooler but the car still gave good numbers.

Ian

Last edited:

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Picked car up from Awesome today with new Forge FMIC fitted and new Forge oil catch tank new manifold inconel studs and ARP fastners.

Few other heat mods done mainly for track.

Forge kit is very neat and has much more cooler intake temps ....feels even stronger at the top end.

Power still a very healthy at 340++ but it feels even smoother and more consistant.

All finally done ready to sell!!

Ian

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.