Which induction kit? Quick comparison, BMC CDA, K&N 57i, ITG

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
Well having tried the following filters on my car i thought id post a thread about the best ones:
Tried a:

K&N 57i
BMC CDA 85 - 150
ITG Open filter JC60 - 80

The K&N was fairly old, but performance felt fairly restricted, and so i opted to fit my BMC CDA. This felt totally different and felt the engine could breathe a lot free...er :D

I was happy with the BMC until i upgraded to the K04 turbo, when it seemed like the filter sound was pretty extreme, so i guessed the filter was being too restrictive.

Just bought the ITG filter and the difference is night and day.
I run a fully atmospheric dump valve, and i can tell how much free...er the filter is just by this, with the extended dumping sound of the dv, induction roar is insane and the car just seems to pick up faster and keeps going until the redline.

I was dubious about going for the ITG as the BMC was so much more expensive, and therefor in my eyes *the better*, but im so glad that i did now and would recommend an ITG to anyone, the one i have is rated to 550bhp.

I would just say however that the BMC CDA worked wonders on my nasp engine (2l 16V ABF) however i didnt try my ITG on it. I reckon the BMC would perform better on a nasp, because it is an enclosed filter with cold air feed.

my 2p

hope it helps someone decide if they want to get a new filter

Couple of pictures of the BMC and ITG (none of the K&N unfortunately)

BMC CDA

2vuet20.jpg

ITG

mvpv90.jpg

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
except... foam filter will allow dust thru... and combined with the oil breather system, make for a good lapping compound.

only coated foam filter will stop dust, but coating is a MAF risk.

I avoid all foam filters are a consequence of learning how poor their filtration was first hand, and it cost me a top end rebuild.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
except... foam filter will allow dust thru... and combined with the oil breather system, make for a good lapping compound.

only coated foam filter will stop dust, but coating is a MAF risk.

I avoid all foam filters are a consequence of learning how poor their filtration was first hand, and it cost me a top end rebuild.

mine is an oiled filter, and doesnt run a MAF :)

ah well...

caney

Apr 24, 2005
i dont trust foam filters.. you will see why in due course
i guess everyone has different opinions on filters,Mrc swear by these itg filters and use them on all their high powered cars.so much so they even had their name printed on them lol
emilypistonscar003.jpg

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i guess everyone has different opinions on filters,Mrc swear by these itg filters and use them on all their high powered cars.so much so they even had their name printed on them lol
emilypistonscar003.jpg

good for them.
they are still crap at stopping dust getting through... fact

I'll use my own experience to guide me. Been bitten by ITG filters previously, dont plan on ever making the same mystake.

Its not a question of power, its a question of longevity. dust does make it through foam filters without the coatings, and finds its way onto the valve seats, so over time you get more leakage. Its slow and progressive, but inevitable.

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
What filter do you use Bill?

Im using a HKS mushroom, filtration is crap really need to change it!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
by the ''coating'' do you mean the oil you spray on to it?

whatever coating they advise for their brand yes..

sometimes oil, but not always, RamAir use a sticky polymer spray, which does'nt get sucked through the filter like oil does.

relying on pore size alone will allow dust to migrate through over time. Its exactly what happened to mine. (and mine was coated) - gritty inlet pipe and this was what lost leakdown pressure from being pitted onto valve seats and valve heads.

regards
bill

Wilko

Badge snob
Well I've run itg on mine for 25k miles. No maf failures, and no valve, valve seat damage. Head is in bits at the mo to remove piston material from it.

I struggle to believe that dust that may pass the filter would decide to deposit on the valves, considering this is the highest velocity area of the inlet tract, and then combine with oil on the back of valves that have
Fuel sprayed on the back of them hundreds of times a minute.

Much more likely to stick tooil in the intercoler IMHO

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Well I've run itg on mine for 25k miles. No maf failures, and no valve, valve seat damage. Head is in bits at the mo to remove piston material from it.

I struggle to believe that dust that may pass the filter would decide to deposit on the valves, considering this is the highest velocity area of the inlet tract, and then combine with oil on the back of valves that have
Fuel sprayed on the back of them hundreds of times a minute.

Much more likely to stick tooil in the intercoler IMHO

struggle to believe it or not, it happens... simple as.

fine dust does work its way through foam filters (especially uncoated ones)
dust WILL impact onto the valve seats, there is no denying it...

seeing you are so confident the engines internal oil will catch the dust (lmao) run yours without a filter at all, its clearly not needed by your rational - :lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise