Which intake for Cupra?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Stuck at a crossroads with regard to which intake to get for the Cupra. The plan is to get the intake which is most efficient with regard to flow and subsequent gains available. However, as a twist, it would be nice to get a bit of a note from it too. The Carbonio is getting sold on to anyone who might want it :)

It seems that there is a choice of a few main options for the Cupra including

1) Dbilas

DSC02007.jpg

Pro - Closed box ram air intake with 100% of air coming in from stock intake position
Con - No change in intake noise

2) VF Engineering

vfbigatjkm.jpg

Pro - Open cone noise and heat shielding
Con - Not yet available for Cupra unless you take a modified unit for a GTi

3) Evoms

evopic2-big.jpg

Pro - Open cone noise and heat shielding
Con - Not yet available for Cupra unless you take a modified unit for a GTi

4) Forge

forge-second-big.gif

Pro - Open cone noise, price
Con - No heat shielding and low position inhibits air flow.

Anyway, the cone does sound good as per clip below, but are they really more efficient than the likes of the closed box dbilas? The high bhp Evo's etc all use cones as do most other high hp cars. Which one to get?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbiPeQ6k7k

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i like the look of the VF engineering filter, looks like a good piece of kit and look clean and tidy in the engine bay...I have the Dbilas as you know and cant say anything bad against it appart from it may not have the note you are looking for, it gives a bit of noise but not as much as you will get with a cone.

if i were you i would go for the VF engineering kit IMHO

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
DJ when i get my cupra (wishes and prays) I will leave the stock system alone other than fit a silicon T piece as near to the stock filter as posible and fit a large open cone in the same position as the VF one. this will give the best induction noise and should out flow the other combinations. I would use a 400+ bhp rated cone from Jetex. Not all cones are equal but Jetex flows the best I've found.
Best sounding.
Best flowing.
Best price.

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
I would like to suggest/choose Forge Intake system for Cupra, because its BOLT-ON kit with fitting kit (part number: FMIND02S3 )

Dbilas could be good also, but I prefer more to hear those vacuum noises :p

forge_intake2.png

I have seen it somewhere Audi S3 DynoGraphs before and after results, with Forge Intake system. Maybe later I could paste it here, if I find that source.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I had thought about the Forge but although it sits down away from the heat of the engine, it also sits away from OEM air feed and the gap at the bottom of the car for air to come up is limited unless you start to create your own air flow.

One of the reasons I am ditching the Carbonio is due to restrictions in the OEM engine cover as Owen has told me.

Just need to get one ordered I guess and take a chance. I have a full Milltek and S3 intercooler already and will be checking the cam follower in the next week or so while I add in a new OEM pump with KMD/Auottech internals. The intake is really the only thing left i need/want to change.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
S'pose it might end up as a preference, but the Evoms just seems to sit in the middle away from the air feed from the bottom and front of the car where the CP one gets OEM feed and could have a tube piped up from the bottom as well?

Xe

Nothing really to add but following this thread out of pure interest. It would be even better if you could add approx prices to your 1st post djhorace ;)

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
well when i "CAREFULLY" dismantled my engine cover a few months ago i couldnt beleive how much restrictions there were inside the cover itself thus slowing the air flow dramatically, i noticed a differance when i fitted the dbilas and would recommend it to anyone but its just that it doesnt have the noise of a cone filter. I stll think the VF engineering looks like the neatest kit and i dont think its as expensive as some of the rest!!

deranged-gp

you can try the k&n typhoon kit 69-9503 or Neuspeed P-flo kit but the EVOMS is very impressive and a good idea is to heat wrap the intake kit which reduces intake temp greatly

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Well you know from my sig what I'd recommend.... The real question is do you want power or noise, noise is not as important as power IMHO...

Last edited:

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
dbilas though is the most sophisticated and effective one. Who cares about sound if performance is low. All others seem to "inhale" air from the engine compartment thus very hot air which has a negative effect. There is no point to resort to tuning/aftermarket solutions if there are no benefits from them. From an insider I know the is a solution coming from pipercross - soon we may be able to test it.

MkIV Turbo

I would go with the Dbilas mate! You don't want a chavy dv noise from an open cone, you would soon get sick of it I think!

ravey davey

Ravey Davey
Nov 30, 2007
Hampshire
Guys may be a daft question but do these intakes fit the FR TFSI ??? Have been badgering Pipercross now for wks to get an answer out of them about the way forward on the FR but still no good answers !!!

Cupra13

I agree that the Dbilas is the way to go.
Think of it this way, - what would an F1 team do in terms of logic ?
Where can I get one?
How much ? :love:

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
Guys may be a daft question but do these intakes fit the FR TFSI ???

You can find many intake solutions for your car, because all these MKV Golf intakes will fit to your car. So these manufacturers example: Neuspeed, Evoms, Vf-engineering, dbilas, forge, eurosport etc...

Vf-engineering or Evoms would be my choice (they are cheap), if I have the same engine than you have.

EuroSport:
http://www.performance-cafe.com/images/mk5int.jpg

NeuSpeed:
http://www.velocityfactor.net/wwwroot/ProdImages/neuspeed_P-Flo.jpg

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Turns out there is no date for proper Cupra intakes from VF, Evoms or Forge yet. Even the dbilas is modified by Regal to fit the Cupra. Might just wait until such times as there is a specific item available for the Cupra which means Mr Owen is gonna be one up on me :( :clown:

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
bearing in mind you still get a decent noise from the dbilas aswell

go for it

Yep... I also have to choose Intake for my Cupra and I have not yet desided what kind of system could be the one.... Dbilas could be a one solution and its the good one ;) I still prefer more that kind of system, which is BOLT-ON... Forge, Dbilas...

edit: Maybe I should also wait, when these "proper" intakes are coming ....

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.